Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found iPhone 5C - help finding owner

• 26-03-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I found an iPhone 5C in the Rathfarnham area today, the battery was totally flat, so after giving it a charge, it is passcode locked, so therefore I cannot get into the phonebook to maybe call a family member to let them know I have it.

To complicate the issue, I took the sim card out and it is an AT&T sim in the phone, so no chance of it been registered to an Irish network.

I also called AT&T who will understandably not give any info out for their customer.

Any ideas here? I would like to reunite the owner with their phone, I do believe in karma and all that. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Ask ATandT to contact the customer and pass along your details telling them you their phone.

Connect up to a computer with iTunes, it will usually have a name like John's iPhone.

Wait for someone to call, someone will eventually, they should have some other way to contact the owner or may even be calling in their behalf.

Contact local gardai and report you have found it just in case anyone pops in to report it lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Does Siri work when the phone is passcode locked? If so ask it "what it my name"? They might have several numbers stored or even an address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Ask ATandT to contact the customer and pass along your details telling them you their phone.

Yep I called them but they seem to be very non helpful, I'll report it to the local Garda station later on.

Edit - No siri does not work, there is no way I can connect it to my wifi since it is passcode locked, there is also no local cellular service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Leave the phone on as much as possible and put the sim back in. If they are trying to track the phone with find my iPhone, theres a chance that they will be able to pick up its location or send it a message (through find my iPhone) with their details.

If you really want to go the extra mile, you could try put there sim card into an unlocked phone on the off chance they have phone numbers stored there. If they do try check for mam, dad, wife/husband etc. and maybe contact them? As I said, its a bit more effort and if they have a pin number you won't be able to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Also if you use Siri and say "call home/mum/dad/john/etc" it should dial them even though it's passcode locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Don't think Siri can work without a data connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

guil wrote: »
    Don't think Siri can work without a data connection

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I found an iPhone 5C in the Rathfarnham area today, the battery was totally flat, so after giving it a charge, it is passcode locked, so therefore I cannot get into the phonebook to maybe call a family member to let them know I have it.

To complicate the issue, I took the sim card out and it is an AT&T sim in the phone, so no chance of it been registered to an Irish network.

I also called AT&T who will understandably not give any info out for their customer.

Any ideas here? I would like to reunite the owner with their phone, I do believe in karma and all that. :)

the imei is printed on the back cover so someone somewhere should ahve a record of the purchaser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Easiest option is to contact the provider, ask them to contact the owner, and pass on your contact details. Done the same a while back. Called O2. Gave them the simcard number. They called owner. Next day the owner called me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭dublander

Keep it or sell it, you've tried getting it back to them but if it's an American phone the chances are even slimmer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Maybe email apple and see if they can email the owner using their apple ID or something to help them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Maybe email apple and see if they can email the owner using their apple ID or something to help them out.

Nothing they can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It looks like it belongs to an american tourist so the chances of finding the owner are slim. Is there a way of reading the SIM Card through another phone or something

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

kensutz wrote: »
    Nothing they can do.

Well im sure they would have some record and if someone found an iphone and are willing to return it then apple should help.

AT&T should by right contact the owner of the phone tho. I found an iPhone here a couple of years ago, o2 sim in it. Rang o2 and they contacted the owner who was on a stags and lost it. They were delighted to get it back, offered a few quid reward and I told them it was fine. Even got a call back off o2 to say thanks etc.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Well im sure they would have some record and if someone found an iphone and are willing to return it then apple should help.

Nope, bring it to the Gardai and get them to get in contact with Apple to help recover the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Leave it on, someone is bound to call it at some stage.

kensutz wrote: »
    Nope, bring it to the Gardai and get them to get in contact with Apple to help recover the phone.

You must be jokin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dodzy wrote: »
    You must be jokin?

:confused:

:confused:

I'd give it to nobody bar the owner, directly. OP is making the effort. Unfortunate tourist by the look of things. ATT might prove fruitless. Much easier to reunite if it was a local network. Lost.ie would be my last port of call in the hope that owner was visiting relations who might be net savvy. Failing that, after a few weeks, flog it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd give it to nobody bar the owner, directly. OP is making the effort. Unfortunate tourist by the look of things. ATT might prove fruitless. Much easier to reunite if it was a local network. Lost.ie would be my last port of call in the hope that owner was visiting relations who might be net savvy. Failing that, after a few weeks, flog it.

If a tourist lost their phone they'd report it to the Gardai so that they can claim their insurance. Dropping into the closest Garda station to where it was found the Gardaì should be able track it through PULSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Del2005 wrote: »
    If a tourist lost their phone they'd report it to the Gardai so that they can claim their insurance. Dropping into the closest Garda station to where it was found the Gardaì should be able track it through PULSE

Then OP will be put on the pulse system. If the tourist left Ireland the changes of the garda's mailing it to them are Non existant

So I got back in touch with AT&T, and the kind lady sent an email to the owner explaining my address, hopefully she will pick it up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Good man yourself, let us know how you get on.

You must be jokin?

I wasn't, there's no way that apple would get in touch direct unless it was handed in to the Gardai. Anyway, good to see the carrier is getting in touch with the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hfallada wrote: »
    Then OP will be put on the pulse system. If the tourist left Ireland the changes of the garda's mailing it to them are Non existant

Why would being on PULSE matter when they are there for a good reason? The OP had originally tried everything to contact the owner and where met with "The computer says No" if they don't report finding it to the Gardaí then they are as good as stealing it. The Gardaí could have contacted the owner, assuming that they knew the IMEI, to let them know that the phone had been found and how do they want to proceed.

Luckily the OP found someone in the phone company that cared and send an email to the owner.

Success! I finally made contact with the owner, she will be coming in either tomorrow or Saturday to collect her iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Success! I finally made contact with the owner, she will be coming in either tomorrow or Saturday to collect her iphone.

Well played OP !!
    Hope she's smoking hot and that ye fall in lurve :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well done for sticking with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

What a decent thing to do. Fair play OP. :cool:

Advertisement