Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROBLEMS WITH INTERNET EXPLORER 9

• 26-03-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

I use IE9 as my default browser with Windows Vista but for 3 days now I’ve been having trouble with it. Sometimes it appears as though it’s going to open then message comes up that the prog is not responding. It will occasionally work ok after re-booting but only for one time, when closed down it will not start again. I’ve used google to re-install ie9 and for a while it appeared to work then it reverted to the problem.
    On Sunday last it was working fine and I downloaded a codec pack because mpeg4 music vids would not run in realplayer, that prob is now solved but is it possible that the codec pack has affected ie9 or is it just a coincidence?.
    I’ve tried restoring to an earlier restore point when all was well but the prob is still there.

I would rather not have to change browser as I’ve been using this one for many years and am used to it. Am having to use google now but have to admit that I don’t find it very friendly.

Any/all help appreciated.

Just to add to the confusion, I wrote this off line intending to cut and paste but when I tried to start google? Nothing!! Had to re boot and now google ok but not IE.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try upgrading to the latest version of IE (I think it's IE11).

You may find Mozilla Firefox better and more user friendly. It is open source and not managed by an evil company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

HI, I tried IE11, appeared to download ok but when it tried to install the following message appeared:

"files\content.ie5\B07c18dz\IE11-windows6.1-en-us.exe is not a valid win32 application". means nothing to me!.

Might try firefox (my daughter swears by it) but with google now having refused, once, to start up I'm wondering what's going on.
    I have AVG, paid version, on this machine and it's found no problems.:confused:

I'm using IE9 at the moment and it's working fine but I'm afraid to close it down!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Sounds like you downloaded the 64 bit version of ie 11. Regardless, ie11 won't run on vista.

You've probably got a misbehaving add in causing the problem. See here for info on running ie without add ins.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/troubleshooting-internet-explorer-on-vista-locking-up-or-running-slowly/

HI, I tried IE11, appeared to download ok but when it tried to install the following message appeared:

"files\content.ie5\B07c18dz\IE11-windows6.1-en-us.exe is not a valid win32 application". means nothing to me!.

Might try firefox (my daughter swears by it) but with google now having refused, once, to start up I'm wondering what's going on.
    I have AVG, paid version, on this machine and it's found no problems.:confused:

I'm using IE9 at the moment and it's working fine but I'm afraid to close it down!!!

As Brian mentioned, that is probably because you're running a 32-Bit version of Windows Vista. I didn't know IE11 wasn't compatible with Vista.

Try running Bleachbit or CCleaner and clear out the cache and logs. It may be the case that your browser and pc has built up cache over time and just needs a clean out.

I quite like Firefox. It doesn't prompt you to login like Chrome, it doesn't crash and it is more secure than IE. It's coded by volunteers and if there is any vulnerabilities they are quickly found and patched. I can't fault it.

Thanks Brian & Mr G,

I'm going to try the ideas in the link from Brian (even though it means closing ie down!). I did run CCleaner yesterday and it made no difference. I run AVG1-click maintenance on a very regular basis so comp should be pretty clean.

Failing this I'll give firefox a try.

If I go down this route how do I completely uninstall IE ? the programme doesn't appear in the control panel Prog and Features folder.

I'll get back to you probably tomorrow as I think I need a lie down in a darkened room right now.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian & Mr G,

I'm going to try the ideas in the link from Brian (even though it means closing ie down!). I did run CCleaner yesterday and it made no difference. I run AVG1-click maintenance on a very regular basis so comp should be pretty clean.

If I go down this route how do I completely uninstall IE ? the programme doesn't appear in the control panel Prog and Features folder.

I'll get back to you probably tomorrow as I think I need a lie down in a darkened room right now.:)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would rather find a 1990's version of Netscape Navigator than use IE for anything. Firefox is yer only man!

Thanks Brian & Mr G,

I'm now totally baffled:confused:
    Closed down IE last night, didn't switch comp off, went to it this morning and lo and behold, it's now fully working, correctly, without me having done anything to it!

For the time being I'm going to leave well alone but will be looking at firefox. If the problem returns I'll let you know.

In the meantime, many thanks for the suggestions which I've kept a note of.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Mr. G wrote: »
    As Brian mentioned, that is probably because you're running a 32-Bit version of Windows Vista. I didn't know IE11 wasn't compatible with Vista.

Try running Bleachbit or CCleaner and clear out the cache and logs. It may be the case that your browser and pc has built up cache over time and just needs a clean out.

I quite like Firefox. It doesn't prompt you to login like Chrome, it doesn't crash and it is more secure than IE. It's coded by volunteers and if there is any vulnerabilities they are quickly found and patched. I can't fault it.
    IE10 or IE11 will not run on Vista, they will only run on 7 and 8.

200motels wrote: »
    IE10 or IE11 will not run on Vista, they will only run on 7 and 8.

True, as I discovered. But still had the prob after reloading ie9.

My main concern(?) now is why/how has it sorted itself out without any help from me/us?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Problems with IE seem to always end up with me reinstalling Windows.

So as a precaution I would check you have a backup of everything. Now while it all works.

By pure chance I'd done a back-up last weekend before problem appeared:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe you could do a restore back to that point.

Anyway. It was just something to note, you're sorted anyway.

As I said in my original post I did try restoring. Actually tried 2 or 3 different restore points without any change to situation.

So far IE is still working fine.
    I think it will remain a mystery.

Advertisement