Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini digger hydraulic oil

• 26-03-2014 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi

Iv got a large drum of CAT transmission oil. . . Very thick oil

Can I use this for hydraulic oil in my 3t mini digger

Save me a few bob ;)

Jo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi

Iv got a large drum of CAT transmission oil. . . Very thick oil

Can I use this for hydraulic oil in my 3t mini digger

Save me a few bob ;)

Jo

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

No.

Why not ?

Buddy of mine puts waste engine oil into the hydraulics of an old porclan track machine he has and it does the job.... least he doesnt have to spend €200 whenever he bursts a hose-all of which are fairly nackered so that happens a lot ;)

Why not ?

Buddy of mine puts waste engine oil into the hydraulics of an old porclan track machine he has and it does the job.... least he doesnt have to spend €200 whenever he bursts a hose-all of which are fairly nackered so that happens a lot ;)

Ok so. Yes, then. It's your digger, you can put in asses milk if it makes you feel better. My digger, it's getting hydraulic oil.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Why not ?

sure if that's the case why don't he pi55 into the hyd oil tank

use the proper oil....your saving pennies in terms of price of a hyd pump,valve chests etc.....waste oil is madness to put in

sure if that's the case why don't he pi55 into the hyd oil tank

use the proper oil....your saving pennies in terms of price of a hyd pump,valve chests etc.....waste oil is madness to put in

not sure if he's tried that. :)

but shur it would be crazy to put new oil into an old machine, that is prone to getting oil leaks. It would cost over €200 to fill it , if you had a hose burst!

He's been doing it with about 6 years, and digger still goin well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Slideways

I can assure you the digger is not going well. It may be operating but it certainly is not performing anywhere near right.

Hydraulic pumps and motors operate at minute tolerances and the oil is only screened between the tank and the pumps otherwise you would get cavitation so all the sh1t you put into the tank goes straight into the pumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

not sure if he's tried that. :)

but shur it would be crazy to put new oil into an old machine, that is prone to getting oil leaks. It would cost over €200 to fill it , if you had a hose burst!

He's been doing it with about 6 years, and digger still goin well!

pennies in comparsion to a price of a hyd pump/track motor....you don't have to leave it keep running when you bust a hose like.

it cant possibly be the same viscosity of hyd oil....as well as it lubricating quality gone....which will fukk you hyd pump

pennies in comparsion to a price of a hyd pump/track motor....you don't have to leave it keep running when you bust a hose like.

it cant possibly be the same viscosity of hyd oil....as well as it lubricating quality gone....which will fukk you hyd pump

well shur its an old machine - if pump does go, he probably pick one up cheap - and as I said , with the price of oil, I thinks he's better off the way he is.

iv seen the digger working over the years, and its going very well.

well shur its an old machine - if pump does go, he probably pick one up cheap - and as I said , with the price of oil, I thinks he's better off the way he is.

iv seen the digger working over the years, and its going very well.

luls. Go try it. More older = more dearer. I reckon you're having a laugh anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Actually thinking about it, I reckon you'd be mad to waste good Cat oil like that, Why not just use some old chipper grease and make sure its good and hot when your pour it in to the hyd oil tank.
    Sure its bound to work:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I would say an absolute no but since you seem pretty cavalier about it and reckon it'll be grand then go ahead. Shame to waste it an' all. But do come back and tell us how it went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

I was mad paying 110 a pail for hydraulic oil for an Hitachi recently :d

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Madmechanic

Hydraulic oil and transmission oil are completely different. They are designed to do different things. You can "save" your few bob now but long term get the few bob and put lots more to it for repairs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Do you ever read a post, and check your watch to see if its Aprils Fool day? even though you KNOW its the month of May? :)

Advertisement