Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nappy changing problem

Options
  • 26-03-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

My now 9 month old has never liked having his nappy changed but this has become a problem in the last 2-3 months as he is now mobile and is a strong baby so it makes nappy changing almost impossible.

He is such a happy baby otherwise an I hate seeing him get so agitated. His nappies have also leaked the last few nights and I suspect its because we are not getting them on correctly with all the struggling.

Has anyone have any tips to make it a bit easier ( we have tried distraction with toys, noises etc) or would it maybe just be a phase?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

use a changing table or something high up,they learn pretty quick that they can not escape and that there is no point trying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I had to start changing my man on my knee which has worked for the past few months :) like you he is a big and strong fella and was off like a shot at the sight of a nappy!! Other than that, lots of distractions :) a favorite of his was a little ball and a lid of a bottle to play with haha.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

mine loves getting the nappy off but then he is gone too,which makes for a mess!! he is 14 months and huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Moonbeam wrote: »
    mine loves getting the nappy off but then he is gone too,which makes for a mess!! he is 14 months and huge.

My little fella loves playing with the packet of wipes or the packet of nappy bags. It's shortlived so I have to be really quick getting the nappy on. If it's a boy I think they love having their bits out too which may explain why he doesn't want a nappy on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 share bear

Ya he's a boy and would happily go without anything on all day!

The hardest part is getting a nappy on. Ive more or less conquered doing a quick clean. I used to be able to distract him with the wipes packet and a toy but lately its just impossible. Fingers crossed its just a phase.

Tonight i tried changing him on the floor and letting him roam around for about 15 min nappy free and he seemed a bit better so maybe thats the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

The only way I can change my son's nappy is to give him something off limits like my phone or a remote. Or I have to sing to him....the only things that work for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

give him something to play with.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would he have something wrong with his hips that is causing him to be so agitated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Would he have something wrong with his hips that is causing him to be so agitated?

That's a big leap from being fussy having his nappy changed to having a problem with his hips?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've perfected the nappy change while breastfeeding manoeuvre. It works like a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 share bear

no nothing wrong with his hips or anything, he just seems to hate it. Id probably be the same way if I had to wear one day in day out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I used a helium balloon on my dds changing table. She'd play away with. I only let her play with it when changing nappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mine tries to pull that nappy away once we've open it, we've come so close to having poo EVERYWHERE.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I found moving it to the ground a lot better. So I moved him down onto the same changing mat everytime. He usually watches TV while I change him, I just make sure I have everything prepared before and chat away to him while I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

iguana wrote: »
    I've perfected the nappy change while breastfeeding manoeuvre. It works like a charm.

I've spent far too much time thinking about this.... Seriously how???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I sit crosslegged on the floor, with him in the hollow of my legs, with his head on my left leg. I lean over just far enough to feed him and hold his legs with my left hand while changing him with my right. Once I've the nappy on, I let his legs go and use both hands to adjust the nappy if I need to. It takes practice but it's either that or contend with him struggling and crying. I don't do it for every change as sometimes he's ok with having his nappy changed but it's quicker and easier than having him fight it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My son went through a phase of that. He'd let you get the nappy off and then it was like "OK, I've given you enough of my time, I've got to get back to playing." and it was a two man job getting the nappy on again. What I found worked was to get one or two new toys, and keep them ONLY for nappy changing time, so the novelty doesn't wear off. My mum did the same for when she was minding him, she had a little tambourine and clock thing that she kept in her nappy bag. It really worked well. By the time the newness had worn off the toys, he'd gotten past the wriggling phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

We always give our 20month old an iphone and he loves looking at photo's or watching youtube on it.

Advertisement