Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses in Waterford

Options
  • 26-03-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Im starting this thread just to see what businesses the people of Waterford would like to see in the oldest city!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Profitable, large scale, sustainable industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PapaJew

Do you think a small business could be profitable in our current economic climate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

PapaJew wrote: »
    Do you think a small business could be profitable in our current economic climate?

Any small business can be profitable given the factors of location, marketing, planning, etc.

As a consumer, what do I give a **** if they are profitable or not?
    1. It is not my Business, so I dont know the planning or strategy in place
    2. It is not my Business, I probably cannot appreciate the details/depth of the situation
    3. What do I care if there is a shortage/abundance of a particular service/product available?

As a reader of the Waterford forum, it strikes at my jaded heart that your first post to Boards.ie smacks of gathering marketing information rather than as a person from Waterford, that living here, can actually see what this city needs is increase successful primary and secondary economic activities (that would be environmentally and socially sustainable)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Suir Tours - a boat up the river for tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Any small business can be profitable given the factors of location, marketing, planning, etc.

As a consumer, what do I give a **** if they are profitable or not?
    1. It is not my Business, so I dont know the planning or strategy in place
    2. It is not my Business, I probably cannot appreciate the details/depth of the situation
    3. What do I care if there is a shortage/abundance of a particular service/product available?

As a reader of the Waterford forum, it strikes at my jaded heart that your first post to Boards.ie smacks of gathering marketing information rather than as a person from Waterford, that living here, can actually see what this city needs is increase successful primary and secondary economic activities (that would be environmentally and socially sustainable)

Isn't that what the poster is trying to do ? Gather marketing information by all means and good luck to you......Let's hope it leads to a new Waterford business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Suir Tours - a boat up the river for tourists.

In the early 80's there was the "Crystal City Cruise".....It left from the Quay opposite the Bridge Hotel . At the time it was at 11:30 on Sunday Morning, an hour before the pubs opened.....There was a Bar and Gino Hearn strummed the background music.....Good one Gino.
    It was Great . Cruise down the river , drink beer ,occasionally have a spliff and look at the area from the deck across the river....when do you get to do that ?
    What a great oppertunity for parties and occasions ?
    I'd love to do it but the Insurance costs and Bureaucracy etc puts me off. I just don't have the money.....only the ideas
    But i think it's a viable Business for Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    In the early 80's there was the "Crystal City Cruise".....It left from the Quay opposite the Bridge Hotel . At the time it was at 11:30 on Sunday Morning, an hour before the pubs opened.....There was a Bar and Gino Hearn strummed the background music.....Good one Gino.
    It was Great . Cruise down the river , drink beer ,occasionally have a spliff and look at the area from the deck across the river....when do you get to do that ?
    I'd love to do it but the Insurance costs and Bureaucracy etc puts me off. I just don't have the money.....only the ideas

I was involved in that , it would have been easier to buy a plastic bucket in Morris's cut the bottom out of it put it into the Suir throw my wallet into it and I could watch it go the whole way to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Scaldy Ned wrote: »

Suir River Cruises operate twice a day from clock tower during summer

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

We need some large scale investment. The rest would follow then. As regards to small inner city shops, the business would need to be able to compete with the larger store in town beginning with "P". It would be interesting to see what the average person is willing to spend no clothes in the city. For example: how old is the average person that spends money on clothes and would you spend €40 on a blouse when you can get a similar one in P for a tenner

We need some large scale investment. The rest would follow then. As regards to small inner city shops, the business would need to be able to compete with the larger store in town beginning with "P". It would be interesting to see what the average person is willing to spend no clothes in the city. For example: how old is the average person that spends money on clothes and would you spend €40 on a blouse when you can get a similar one in P for a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's clothes and then there's clothes and its the one thing I don't skimp on as if they are good I will wear them for a many seasons as they last.

You can get quality in every shop but cheapest is not always the best, buy cheap buy twice.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There's clothes and then there's clothes and its the one thing I don't skimp on as if they are good I will wear them for a many seasons as they last.

You can get quality in every shop but cheapest is not always the best, buy cheap buy twice.
    That's true and I am generally of the same thinking. However, the less expensive clothes shops have drastically improved the quality of their clothes. Fashion is fickle, trends change so often that anyone on an average wage trying to achieve the latest look is probably more like to buy in a less expensive shop. That's not even taking into account the rate of unemployment in the city..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I think a jet boat could do well in the City.

THUNDER-JET-BOAT-LIGHTNING-SYDNEY1-1024x712.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A boat a Goat a Wife the three most expensive things in your life.....
    I only have the wife left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Flood Poleberry permanently and voilà, the Venice of Ireland!

Advertisement