Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulhuddart Village getting two new restaurants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Good news, hope it's not just some burger joint though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

With a chipper, Thai and pizza place nearby I wonder are we talking Chinese or Indian? Though I must admit my heart sank when I read the words takeaway I suppose it's not the right place for a proper restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

This is the real deal, and the hint is in the detail.

Paidi Og's is the name of the crowd running the Shanty at present, but the applicant is 'North Port'.

North Port is the company that actually owns the Shanty, in the form of Frank Gleeson. You may not have heard of Frank Glesson, but he used to own the Corduff Inn at a time when it was a really popular pub in the early to mid 90s.

Frank Gleeson now owns Whelans live, and is essentially the mercantile group. If he is fully behind this as I suspect he is, he won't be doing a half arsed job. Mulhuddart village is a transformed village, and although the Shanty would do well to shake off its image, you can be sure with all of the other development in that village, it is becoming more attractive.

It's good news folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

It's still an awkward site to access and it's going to be a nightmare for cars trying to get in & out. I am very skeptical about the ability of this location to attract customers as it gets low footfall from pedestrians. Why did the Tesco Express store that was in there close down, was it not due to persistent flooding? I also find it kind of disheartening that this is the kind of thing that councilors are trumpeting about on their webpages, as it's not like it's a big public amenity for the area or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Arciphel wrote: »
    It's still an awkward site to access and it's going to be a nightmare for cars trying to get in & out. I am very skeptical about the ability of this location to attract customers as it gets low footfall from pedestrians. Why did the Tesco Express store that was in there close down, was it not due to persistent flooding? I also find it kind of disheartening that this is the kind of thing that councilors are trumpeting about on their webpages, as it's not like it's a big public amenity for the area or anything like that.
    The lease was up, aldi was opening and the place was getting fleeced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

January wrote: »

You're 100% correct on that.

Go back and look at Mulhuddart village in 2000, then look at it today. The area is vastly improved.

There is more footfall there than ever, so it's good to maybe improve upon it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It was getting fleeced, but apparently the landlord was less than helpful in resolving any site issues that had so they just said feic that, this place is not worth the hassle.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It was getting fleeced, but apparently the landlord was less than helpful in resolving any site issues that had so they just said feic that, this place is not worth the hassle.

To be fair, the place flooded once and it was closed for a day afterwards. Not exactly dragging their heels on resolving the issue.

I wasn't aware of any other site issues though.

The thing is, that unit is always going to be secluded so if they can get the right types of restaurants in there the footfall will follow. Especially with people using the car park behind Riverside Medical Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm not talking specifically about the flooding at all but in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I never knew it closed.

But what do you mean by getting "fleeced"? Shoplifted?

• Advertisement

Haha, yes, sorry... fleeced is slang term for people shoplifting from there all the time. It was a joke, kids running in and out grabbing whatever was closest to the doors.

It's been closed since just before (or it could have been just after) Aldi opened up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Haha, yes, sorry... fleeced is slang term for people shoplifting from there all the time. It was a joke, kids running in and out grabbing whatever was closest to the doors.

It's been closed since just before (or it could have been just after) Aldi opened up last year.

Thanks January! I had a feeling that was what you were saying but I thought I better check.

Sounds like a mad situation!

Wondering if anyone (maybe chucknorris??) has any info on this, 3 months on and I haven't heard anything else about the restaurants opening...

Advertisement