Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

general pay email

Options
  • 26-03-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

HI

Basically we had an email today (sent to all staff) saying all staff who got above grade x in a review would get a certain payrise.

Can anybody tell me if this is allowed? I dont think this is as its disseminating personal information (albeit somewhat general) to everybody in the company

thanks
    userT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What personal information was distributed? Did everyone get the email, or just the ones who are getting the payrise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It is absolutely allowed. The company are entitled to give a pay rise by performance based reviews.

If you have any doubts contact your union or the LRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What personal information was distributed? Did everyone get the email, or just the ones who are getting the payrise?

The email went to everybody and just said that if you acheived a particular score in appraisal then you get X% payrise.

I think this is giving out personal salary information and shouldnt be allowed. I dont want anybody and everybody knowing how much of a payrise i got.

Red crow- I think you missed my point. Companies are allowed to give whatever payrises they deem fit (or not) regardless of how they decide....my issue is the general announcement so that everybody knows what everybody else got. Also the company is not unionised and is a private enterprise.

In anycase, something like this gives no incentive for people to work hard..just do enough and you get what everybody else go.

Ahh, do you realise how percentages work?

The only way that people will know the size of your payrise is if they know the size of your pay.

What's more, there may be some other emails (individually distributed, and you didn't get one so don't know about it) saying this like "Congratulations, because you achieved so much more, you will get an additional Y% as well as the standard X%".

Mountain, molehill, much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

userT wrote: »
    The email went to everybody and just said that if you acheived a particular score in appraisal then you get X% payrise.

I think this is giving out personal salary information and shouldnt be allowed. I dont want anybody and everybody knowing how much of a payrise i got.

Red crow- I think you missed my point. Companies are allowed to give whatever payrises they deem fit (or not) regardless of how they decide....my issue is the general announcement so that everybody knows what everybody else got. Also the company is not unionised and is a private enterprise.

In anycase, something like this gives no incentive for people to work hard..just do enough and you get what everybody else go.

You are completely overreacting. Someone would need to know your existing salary and if you received that performance grading to be able to work out your salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sure the e-mail doesn't even seem to specify what people's grades are in the performance review. You have no way of knowing people's salary or who is or isn't getting a payrise. In fact, all that I can see in this e-mail is an incentive to work harder and earn more money.

Ahh, do you realise how percentages work?.

yes fully aware of how they work.
    The only way that people will know the size of your payrise is if they know the size of your pay.

Its not about the absolute size of the payrise, its that everybody knows what % everybody else got. I would be of the view that this is confidential information. What if i knew Mrs OBumble got X+5% and told everybody Mrs OBumble got X+5%...I can guarantee you that i'd be in trouble for disseminating confidential information.
    Mountain, molehill, much.
    maybe not for you...but i dont appreciate my salary information (even in percentage terms) being openly discussed.

TimeToShine -the only incentive is to work enough to make the minimum target grade (say 40%) on the appraisal. If i get that I get the same as somebody who got the maximum grade (100%) on the appraisal. Theres no incentive (monetarily) to try to get anything above the 40% as i get the same increase - **I appreciate I may not have made that 100% clear that the increase was the same once you got it.

But you don't know if Mrs O'Bumble made the minimum grade or not.

Neither do you know about the secret email she got about the extra bonus for achieving 105%, while the average bear only hit 80%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Someone didnt make the grade...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

TimeToShine -the only incentive is to work enough to make the minimum target grade (say 40%) on the appraisal. If i get that I get the same as somebody who got the maximum grade (100%) on the appraisal. Theres no incentive (monetarily) to try to get anything above the 40% as i get the same increase - **I appreciate I may not have made that 100% clear that the increase was the same once you got it.

With all due respect company policy towards pay rises is none of your business. It may be a stupid system but you still have to abide by it. If you think it's a serious problem you can go through the tedious procedure of raising a complaint. Otherwise, your work is your own concern. If you got 80% in the review and you are annoyed with yourself for doing "too much work" because all you needed was 40% then I'm sorry to say that reflects more on your career path than it does on the company policy. Is the problem here that there are people are doing less work than you and getting away with it?

edit: Also are you saying that once the reviews are conducted the company sends around a big excel spreadsheet with everyones name and corresponding grade/pay increase percentage? If so then maybe there is a breach of privacy but I doubt that they're doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

what about if you work in a company or public service where there are salary scales based on length of service ? Anyone who knows how long you have worked in that company knows your salary.

What about large multinationals such as Interl, Cisco, HP etc who email 10,000s of employees every year re bonus and share schemes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Maybe most people don't think you'll make the geade to get a payraise so they're not thinking about you at all.... Maybe theyre thnking its insensitive to be sending it to you since your obviously not good enough to make the grade...

My point is... what matter what they think, they know nothing !!

Widely advertising the pay percentages is standard practice, and seen as a carrot fort hose not yet making the grade... look what your missing by not being good enough !!

Sorry OP but I really cant feel sorry for you complaining about how you are told about a pay rise. It's so long since most people have gotten any sort of increase in pay, they would be ecstatic just to get one!!

Its not as if they e-mailed actual details of peoples salary aroung, just the percentage. Enjoy your pay rise and don't worry about the petty things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP - I think you're using tunnel vision here. OK, it might be frustrating to think someone who barely scraped the minimum 40% benchmark gets the same payrise as someone who excelled with a 90%+ rating. But you need to look at the bigger picture as regards career advancement. When it comes to promotion time or when a more senior grade becomes vacant, who do you think management are going to consider for promotion......The person that barely scrapes by or the person that excels? Pay rises are nearly always more significant when they are attached to a promotion.

Having an attitude that there is no incentive to work to the best of your ability is very poor and will most likely jeopardize any chance of career advancement. Likewise, taking cases against perceived breaches of privacy is guaranteed to ensure you are overlooked for promotion in your current company (and possibly other companies when it comes to references). I think you should choose your battles carefully here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is normal for companies to set a % related to how you did in your review.
    eg met expectations 2% exceeded 5% strongly exceeded 8% and for them to be published.
    I see no issue with it at all and it is good that it is clear to everyone.

Advertisement