Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish and Northern Irish towns and cities and villages dataset

Options
  • 26-03-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Where can I find such a thing? Lots of websites use them but where can I get them? I need something for my own site. I csv, and sqlite db. Anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

What type of data do you require? Failte Ireland developed a database called the Tourism Content System which contains listings for all their approved tourism businesses in Ireland. Part of the system is a structure which includes all of the towns/villages in Ireland including their geo-coordinates. In the recent past they have syndicated the content to Google to improve the quality of listings on Google Maps and the data has also been used by the National Transport Authority for integration into the National Journey Planner.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Unfortunately http://tcs.ireland.ie/ is b0rked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I don't think the TCS was directly accessible to the public. Kentico is the CMS that they use for the DiscoverIreland.ie website.

There is a mobile application that is listed on the homepage, Discover Ireland App. The blurb makes it sound like it contains the TCS database.
    Download the Discover Ireland app to find great places to stay, special offers, places to eat and events around Ireland. It’s free and works offline, so there are no surprise roaming or data charges.

The fact that it works offline would lead me to believe the data can be retrieved from the application after it has been installed on a mobile.

Advertisement