Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Ironman abroad - am I missing something ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You could be right re the 30 mins but what effect would the 8000+ feet of climbing and heartbreaking wind have on your marathon time? surely some

If you pace the climbs sensibly then not too much. Pretty much the last 50k from memory is downhill/flat so plenty of time to recover. I think i done it in 5hrs 50 or 6hrs at the time so half an hour out seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Lanza is good. I did it last year. Long bike but would do it again some day. if you can descend with cross winds you are sorted - I cant and it cost me tons of time.

Went out for a week and had a holiday out of it so was really good. Flights were similar price to frnakfurt were I am going this year.

To the post re guaranteed good weather - did Frankfurt as my first on three years ago - it rained for the whole bike and was about 12 degrees max (was 8 at the start of the bike) so don't bank on the sunshine!!! Hoping to get better this year.

And yes I picked Frankfurt this year for a PB!!!

Atmosphere was great in the rain so on a good day id say it would be unbelievable. You wont get tens of thousands at any Irish race.

But one day I think I might do the Hardman race - ring of Kerry sounds like an iconic bike leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Anyone got an info/opinion on IM Copenhagen. Its on in late August, which would give you all summer to train. Bright days, better weather, plenty of OW training etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Anyone got an info/opinion on IM Copenhagen. Its on in late August, which would give you all summer to train. Bright days, better weather, plenty of OW training etc etc.

I'm doing it this year, couple of the lads did it last year and said it was a great race, very well supported and pretty fast, which will make no difference to me as i am captain slow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

rooneyjm wrote: »
    I went with Austria for the date it's on (last week of June). Gives you the rest of the summer to enjoy your weekends again. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I only really plan on doing Frankfurt this year, maybe one other race. If I just get associate membership can I race Frankfurt on a 1 day license?

Advertisement