Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying maintenance after losing job

Options
  • 26-03-2014 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭

My son lives with his mother and she is on single-parent family allowance.

We have an agreement that I pay her €60 weekly (my job wasn't well paid and it costs me €20 to get to see him each week extra!)

Anyway, I lost my job and am now on €188 Jobseeker's.

Can anyone tell me what happens with maintenance? Should I get on to Dept Social Protection? Will she receive more in her payment to compensate the fact that I can no longer afford to pay her the previous sum?

Thanks, if anyone can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you have a maintanence order or was it an agreed rate between you both?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

January wrote: »
    Do you have a maintanence order or was it an agreed rate between you both?

I have a maintenance order for €97 p/w but the mother (very nicely) realised that wasn't quite fair on me so we have a written agreement on €60.

(For the record: I had hoped my earnings would've increased over time and I'd gradually pay more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well then you need to chat to the mother and make sure she is happy for you to reduce the maintenance further again.

If that doesn't work you can apply for a variance order through the court based on your earnings.

I'm assuming she is declaring to the social welfare how much maintenance she gets but it is up to her to contact them and tell them she will be getting a lower amount, not you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

January wrote: »
    Well then you need to chat to the mother and make sure she is happy for you to reduce the maintenance further again.

If that doesn't work you can apply for a variance order through the court based on your earnings.

I'm assuming she is declaring to the social welfare how much maintenance she gets but it is up to her to contact them and tell them she will be getting a lower amount, not you.

Cool. I wasn't sure if I should be contacting them or should she. We both signed an agreement letter at the start of the year so the Social are aware of what she receives.

Advertisement