Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh Tri Club - Lough Derg Sprint

Options
  • 26-03-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

It's a shame the North Tipp Sprint can't go ahead as the local pool will not be ready in time but they are putting on another race instead.

http://www.nenaghtriathlonclub.com/lough-derg-sprint-triathlon/

No affiliation with the club other than being a happy punter. I think most would agree the lads in NTC know how to put on a good event while keeping costs as low as possible.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that's a pity, had this one in my calendar as one to do. their new date is the week after the new tri in Killaloe run by the boru tri club, and the week before kilkee. that's a busy calendar for the local races.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

The hills of Killaloe are certainly an attraction, it's a beautiful spot. Also a week before HOTW is not ideal for those chasing NS points with Athlone the week after and a Sprint after an Olympic being the natural order of things. I'm not chasing points this year so a spin to Dromineer would trump the pain to be felt on the Boru course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shame we cant hold North Tipp Sprint but the pool is finally getting its well over due make over. Dromineer is a decent spot for a race and where we do all our training aquathon/duathlon/triathlon race series.
    Nice course with tough hill on run course. at least I'll get a home race after all this year

ray o wrote: »
    a spin to Dromineer would trump the pain to be felt on the Boru course.

just to clarify, the killaloe tri being held the week before this one is a new tri on the calendar, not the existing boru tri held every year

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Thanks for the plug Ray! saves me having to start a thread.

Sure I might as well mention the race entry fee is a very reasonable €29 while I am here. As a club we would appreciate everyone's support at this race.

Name: Lough Derg Sprint
    Date: June 21st
    Cost: €29 individual / €45 relay / €10 juniors (juniors contact me directly to avail of this price).
    Distance: 750m swim / 19k bike / 5km run

Link to our newly created >> Facebook event page
    There will be plenty of competitions and stuff like that for free entry to the race, so it's well worth liking the event.

Apologies to supporters of our North Tipp Sprint for the late cancellation. With that cancellation and the cancelling of the 3D Fingal event it seems to have left a hole in the calendar in early May. If only Lough Derg would warm up sooner!!

As a side note......

It is very hard to get a date on the TI calendar these days. Tunney is right about the sport being close to saturation point. We know this date won't suit a few and it will upset other races but it was a hard battle just to get any date. When you have 3 triathlons on the TI calendar from a town 10 miles away from us - Killaloe (population around 1,000) - you can understand how tough it is to get permission for any date on the TI calendar at late notice (that doesn't fall foul of the 100 mile rule). This is where I get a little annoyed about the rise of 'for profit' commercial races. They just crowd out the club run events. We also applied for two other dates on the calendar. Both were up against commercial event weekends and both applications were denied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hoppe that Pike that took a nibble out of you is gone from Lough Derg Shane :pac:

Best of luck with the event. Great value too!!!! :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    I hoppe that Pike that took a nibble out of you is gone from Lough Derg Shane :pac:

Best of luck with the event. Great value too!!!! :cool:

You mean the Lough Derg Monster! sure it nearly swallowed me whole. Barely escaped with my life. Yep it was hunted down and destroyed.

well done on the pricing Shane. at that price given how close it is to me i'd do it just for the crack to get ready for HOTW, even thoughi'll be doing the killaloe ones. got to support the local clubs

is that entry fee for a certain period only or will it be staying at that price?

now that ye have started this, i hope next year we'll see both on the calendar, this and the North tipp sprint

mossym wrote: »
    is that entry fee for a certain period only or will it be staying at that price?

now that ye have started this, i hope next year we'll see both on the calendar, this and the North tipp sprint

€29 is the early bird and late bird offer!

The sad thing is that people would probably be more inclined to sign up if we priced it at the standard €40+ level. People have a tendancy to associate quality with price. People also seem to rate a triathlon by how good the goodie bag is - won't be long now before ipads and flatscreen tvs are included in the goodie bag. The Lough Derg Sprint is a race not a spa break/boutique festival/goodie bag treasure hunt/running through mud/life changing experience. It is a quality race on a tough-ish course, with chip timing, winners, glory, losers, ignominy, prize money, food mountains, tea & coffee lakes, helpful marshalls, lovely scenery and all this for €29.

We hope to run the two events next year alright. We will probably include a deal on the price of entering the two. €50 for the two races or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Thanks for the plug Ray! saves me having to start a thread.

Sure I might as well mention the race entry fee is a very reasonable €29 while I am here. As a club we would appreciate everyone's support at this race.

Name: Lough Derg Sprint
    Date: June 21st
    Cost: €29 individual / €45 relay / €10 juniors (juniors contact me directly to avail of this price).
    Distance: 750m swim / 19k bike / 5km run

Link to our newly created >> Facebook event page
    There will be plenty of competitions and stuff like that for free entry to the race, so it's well worth liking the event.

Apologies to supporters of our North Tipp Sprint for the late cancellation. With that cancellation and the cancelling of the 3D Fingal event it seems to have left a hole in the calendar in early May. If only Lough Derg would warm up sooner!!

As a side note......

It is very hard to get a date on the TI calendar these days. Tunney is right about the sport being close to saturation point. We know this date won't suit a few and it will upset other races but it was a hard battle just to get any date. When you have 3 triathlons on the TI calendar from a town 10 miles away from us - Killaloe (population around 1,000) - you can understand how tough it is to get permission for any date on the TI calendar at late notice (that doesn't fall foul of the 100 mile rule). This is where I get a little annoyed about the rise of 'for profit' commercial races. They just crowd out the club run events. We also applied for two other dates on the calendar. Both were up against commercial event weekends and both applications were denied.

what's your opinion of the 100mile rule?
    should it exclude commercial events, so they are unprotected?

great entry price, what entry numbers are you hoping for?

fb page look good

• Advertisement

what's your opinion of the 100mile rule?
    should it exclude commercial events, so they are unprotected?

great entry price, what entry numbers are you hoping for?

fb page look good

Personally I would prefer a free for all approach but I can see the sense in TI having a 100 mile rule. However, it will get tougher to enforce the rule with multiple new triathlon clubs springing up every year. Each club wants a race so the situation is only going to get worse. Increased conflict is inevitable. Currently the situation is solved by asking competing races if they mind another club hosting a race on the same day within the 100 mile barrier. I am not sure what commercial race is ever going to agree to let another competing race (within 100 mile) into their date on the calendar. This will take away from their profits. Our application was rejected by two such commercial races. This would probably make for an interesting discussion thread of its own.

Entry numbers: we would be happy with 200+ as we are not an established race. We are more concerned about quality than quantity. Put on a good race and people will support it in the future.

€29 is the early bird and late bird offer!

The sad thing is that people would probably be more inclined to sign up if we priced it at the standard €40+ level. People have a tendancy to associate quality with price. People also seem to rate a triathlon by how good the goodie bag is - won't be long now before ipads and flatscreen tvs are included in the goodie bag. The Lough Derg Sprint is a race not a spa break/boutique festival/goodie bag treasure hunt/running through mud/life changing experience. It is a quality race on a tough-ish course, with chip timing, winners, glory, losers, ignominy, prize money, food mountains, tea & coffee lakes, helpful marshalls, lovely scenery and all this for €29.

We hope to run the two events next year alright. We will probably include a deal on the price of entering the two. €50 for the two races or something like that.

fair play. it;s nice to see the local clubs still focused on the right things.

btw, on boards after midnight and in ul pool at 7am . i see full training is back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

So I'm planning on baking a mountain of goodies for this race. My brownies are not to be missed and worth the entry fee alone.

Spare bed going if anyone* is travelling down the night before.

*As in any one who I know from here , not some random stranger :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Solobally8 wrote: »
    So I'm planning on baking a mountain of goodies for this race. My brownies are not to be missed and worth the entry fee alone.

Spare bed going if anyone* is travelling down the night before.

*As in any one who I know from here , not some random stranger :-)

Did you do any of the baking for last years North Tipp Sprint? I had a fine feed after that one - might have tried at least one of everything on offer :)

ray o wrote: »
    Did you do any of the baking for last years North Tipp Sprint? I had a fine feed after that one - might have tried at least one of everything on offer :)

Ha ha good that's what it's there for :) I did a lot of baking for that alright and ate plenty myself too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Signed up for this, great price and glad to be supporting what sounds like will be a decent club-organised race.

Edit: Just read SB's post about brownies, sweetened the deal further!

Ha ha these brownies will have to be my best ever :D

Advertisement