Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New knowledge sharing concept - 'share one thing you learned today'

• 26-03-2014 6:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hopefully it's ok to post this here, if not feel free to move or edit! No links shall be dropped anyway - I am more looking for feedback and expressions of interest!

Anyway, in the next couple of days I am launching a new, very simple concept aimed at a business / professional audience - to start with anyway.

The site lets you 'share one thing you learned today', and the idea is to build a community around useful insights, tips, and nuggets of wisdom that you pick up from day to day - or just daily observations that are entertaining, witty, insightful, etc.

The vision is really to document and share all of this useful knowledge, simply because we are all walking around with great insights, tips and info in our heads which generally never see the light of day (unless someone presses us on a particular topic!).

It is not dissimilar to the format of Medium.com. However, the sole focus is on sharing knowledge, tips and insights (as opposed to general storytelling and opinion).

How it works.

The way it works is simply that you sign up using email or Facebook, post your daily insight (or however often you desire), and it then appears on the site. Obviously the content is reviewed and you can report posts and comments like on any site. Posts can be long or short, or they can even just consist of useful snippets you picked up from elsewhere during the day. Your content is also saved on the site, meaning you can access your tips and info anytime.

Then, this content is pushed out on our social media channels, giving you a great way to get your voice heard. You can also receive 'upvotes' on your posts, giving you valuable feedback on your content and informing you on what to write next!

It may be particularly useful for brands and businesses who have a wealth of info to share, but who don't feel compelled or motivated to blog on their own sites and would be keen to dive into a community instead (plus we share and promote your content for you for free on one central platform!).

In a nutshell, the 'share one thing you learned today' focus lets you formulate and articulate what you have learned / realised during the day, and allows you share this with others.

If interested?

Hopefully this sounds good and if interested in signing up, feel free to PM!

The idea is to build a community first, monetising is secondary for now. I am much more interested in building that community and producing something that people find useful to come back to on a regular basis.

A huge part of my motivation and reason for setting this up is very straightforward - I don't particularly enjoy blogging myself! Even though I have written plenty of content in the past, I am rarely motivated to do so for two reasons:

-It happens in a vacuum - I sit down and it's just my blog and mainly me reading it and seeing it :)

-The emphasis is on long-form content these days. I rarely want to write long form, if I feel like writing a really short post or just a snippet, I want to be able to do this and still have people read it!

The goal for this site is to allow all of the above to happen, and in the process build a big audience over time.

Thanks for reading - and let me know if it sounds interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lifehacker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

mikom wrote: »
    Lifehacker.

is productivity tips, tricks and 'hacks' for everyday life.

This is for sharing day to day insights and tips based on personal and business experience, akin to a personal diary of experience / knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I stopped reading the OP in detail early on and scanned the rest. To me it seems like another effort at ‘life coach / self-improvement’ mumbo jumbo. There already is so much of that stuff out there and so little time. What successful person is going to bother with it? All that will be posted are the inane comments of those with too much time on their hands ‘cos they are trying to develop a consultancy business and hope to get referrals. Just look at some of the cr@p that gets circulated on many LinkedIn groups ( a cause of many dropping off.)

Even on this Forum it is apparent that advice from the better posters is given only on the more interesting/developed threads, which would suggest that they are mindful of their time, they just read the thread topics that look sensible and ignore most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

I stopped reading the OP in detail early on and scanned the rest. To me it seems like another effort at ‘life coach / self-improvement’ mumbo jumbo. There already is so much of that stuff out there and so little time. What successful person is going to bother with it? All that will be posted are the inane comments of those with too much time on their hands ‘cos they are trying to develop a consultancy business and hope to get referrals. Just look at some of the cr@p that gets circulated on many LinkedIn groups ( a cause of many dropping off.)

Fair points pedroeibar, and funnily enough the idea behind this site is to seek to filter out all of the self-promotional stuff we are drowning in these days. That isn't going to be easy, but for me the issue with platforms like Boards, LinkedIn, Twitter and lots of other places is that anybody can log on and post whatever they want. Consequently the content reads like glorified PR in many cases.

Even on Boards you can spend a tonne of your time wading through throwaway comments, repetitive questions, etc.

On this site your post would have to be approved first, and the upvoting system would over time help to ensure only the cream rises to the top. This would come into play a little later on though, as the volume of posts is likely to take time to build.
    Even on this Forum it is apparent that advice from the better posters is given only on the more interesting/developed threads, which would suggest that they are mindful of their time, they just read the thread topics that look sensible and ignore most.

Not sure about that, I know of one or two quality posters who chip in with contributions on threads that get very few or even no replies. However I agree with the point being made and the idea is that if quality content is being posted, it is much more likely to attract other quality posts (and comments on those posts), in turn.

Advertisement