Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace on snag list

Options
  • 26-03-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

We had a snag list done and one of the things that stood out to me was a fireplace in living room. Is it normal that the builder would put in a fireplace? I wasn't expecting it but delighted if it should be included as it's a few quid saved

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends on the property- there isn't a normal, its whatever specification the property is built to. It may be a little unusual these days to have a fireplace- but I'd be thrilled to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

If it's on the snag list do you think the builder will do it? Also will the engineer come back to check the work is done or is it up to us to check?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would see it as perfectly normal, my new house had one as did my parents and were completely different types of houses in different places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I would maybe want a small wood burning stove as they are efficient and compact. But I have yet to see a modern fireplace that isnt tasteless. If you put in a fireplace you lose some of the room size

I actually haven't seen a room with a stove and no fireplace is it not strange looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

with the inefficiencies of an open fire are they actually allowed to still used use in them in new builds? Surely they would have stove or nothing at all.

I don't know the snag list says "fireplace to be fitted"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Fireplace or actual chimney?

I have a fireplace with no chimney and a gas fire. Never use it!!

Actually removing it completely as its a useless thing to have and really limits where the couch etc can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

random10 wrote: »
    I don't know the snag list says "fireplace to be fitted"
    what's in your house spec? when we were buying our it had the list of the things that were included in the price of the house like bathrooms, kitchen, fireplace etc. and the things that weren't: kitchen appliances, flooring etc...

we actually asked our builder to remove the "fireplace" because it was one of those fake ones - gas "fire" with no chimney. the builder was absolutely thrilled because he could reuse it in one of the other houses that he was finishing off at that time. the fireplace was removed, void filled and plastered. TV looks very good in the center of the wall now and it's much more functional than fake fire ;)
    Real fireplaces where you can actually burn real wood are lovely but these stupid gimmicks, gas or electric, no but no, thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I stuck an inset stove into my fireplace and its the best investment I've ever made. Burn it all day and the entire house is warm. Burn for a few hours at night and you're roasting going to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

MugMugs wrote: »
    I stuck an inset stove into my fireplace and its the best investment I've ever made. Burn it all day and the entire house is warm. Burn for a few hours at night and you're roasting going to bed.

Does your insert stove have a back boiler for heating the water ? Thinking of getting an insert stove and advised to get the one with the boiler for heating the water & save on heating costs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

You went and viewed a new home,decided to buy it and didnt know if a fireplace was included or not... Seriously .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP it depends on what is in the contract, our house was "builder's finish" in other words it was wired, plumbed, plastered and painted with a magnolia undercoat. There were PC sums for kitchen & bathrooms. There was an opening for a fireplace but no fireplace itself which to be honest suited us because I have other rental properties that did have them and they are horrible. I don't think it is something you can expect unless the brochure/contract specifically says it is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Does your insert stove have a back boiler for heating the water ? Thinking of getting an insert stove and advised to get the one with the boiler for heating the water & save on heating costs ?

No, It was a new build with a fine chimney and a Gas Fireplace.

I removed the Fireplace and replaced with something more sufficent to take the heat of the stove. There was no plumbing for a back boiler and to fit the plumbing retrospectively is a messy somewhat expensive job.

In hindsight, I'd have paid the builder to do this at the time but hindsight is a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KATM

We had a snag list done and one of the things that stood out to me was a fireplace in living room. Is it normal that the builder would put in a fireplace? I wasn't expecting it but delighted if it should be included as it's a few quid saved

Hi random10,

We're in the process of buying a new house. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you to get the snag list done? And who carried it out for you (surveyor etc.?)?

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

We were thinking of getting the engineer/surveyor who is doing our structural inspection to do a snag list at the same time ? Does that make sense or who would be best for to do the snag list ??
    Any advice appreciated !

It was a structural engineer that did our snag list. 250euro

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KATM

It was a structural engineer that did our snag list. 250euro

Thanks a million Random10!

As it happens, I contacted the surveyor who conducted our structural survey & he said that although he does do snag lists, that he didn't think it necessary as his survey will have captured everything important. He then revised the survey report for us, so that we could use that as our snag list - really helpful & considerate of him!

Advertisement