Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016 English Syllabus/Course

• 26-03-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

My English teacher said that the course was released nearly 2/3 weeks ago.
    Anyone know where I can find it, I tried googling it but no luck.
    If anyone could redirect me to it that would be great.
    I want to see what is on it, as one of my friends said ''Juno'' is on the film section.... :eek::eek::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 shedu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Four woman poets! Has that ever been done before? It neuters one of the most common strategies which was to rely on one of those always coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Juno actually has a lot of themes that would make it suitable for a comparative text e.g teen pregnancy, pro-life etc. A lot of trashy humour in it as well though.

What is the purpose of changing the prescribed texts? Is it so teachers don't get too comfortable with the material to the extent that they can be too big an influence on their students' grades? Or is it to prevent schools from teaching the material while students are in fourth year? Hamlet was on the syllabus two years in a row which was greatly to the advantage of those repeating in 2012. Whatever about changing the Single Text and the poets, changing the Comparative texts is ludicrous: almost all stay the same, but repeat students can be really unlucky and have one or more of theirs drop off. In the UK, the set texts don't change annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

What is the purpose of changing the prescribed texts? Is it so teachers don't get too comfortable with the material to the extent that they can be too big an influence on their students' grades? Or is it to prevent schools from teaching the material while students are in fourth year? Hamlet was on the syllabus two years in a row which was greatly to the advantage of those repeating in 2012. Whatever about changing the Single Text and the poets, changing the Comparative texts is ludicrous: almost all stay the same, but repeat students can be really unlucky and have one or more of theirs drop off. In the UK, the set texts don't change annually.

Why on earth is changing the comparative texts ludicrous!?

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Why on earth is changing the comparative texts ludicrous!?

I gave the reason in my post. Because there's no need to do it, and it can be greatly to the disadvantage of repeat students. I was being hyperbolic in calling it ludicrous.

Advertisement