Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Big Switch

• 26-03-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

Just what are these guys offering?

10% off Bord Gais rates subject to specific terms. This same offer is available to any new customer to Bord Gais. So OBS can't claim to have negotiated that on behalf of the 30,000+ people who signed up With them.

"No 12 month contract" - but you don't get an €80 cash back until your 13th month.

One Big Switch wasted a real opportunity to utilise "people power" to negotiate on energy costs.

Or do you think differently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

One big con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Vladimir Putin likes this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The big switch would look very unsightly on the side of my house. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    The big switch would look very unsightly on the side of my house. :/

Even if it's only One Big Switch??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I got the mail and it's an additional 5% on their lowest tariff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Did someone mention a big switch?

- Patrick @ Leinster House

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Philm_12 wrote: »
    Just what are these guys offering?

10% off Bord Gais rates subject to specific terms. This same offer is available to any new customer to Bord Gais. So OBS can't claim to have negotiated that on behalf of the 30,000+ people who signed up With them.

"No 12 month contract" - but you don't get an €80 cash back until your 13th month.

One Big Switch wasted a real opportunity to utilise "people power" to negotiate on energy costs.

Or do you think differently?

With Bord Gais you have to agree to level pay, which essentially means you will be paying a fixed price for a period of 12 months, they typically overcharge by 20% of the gas usage in your house. You can only get a refund on that 20% after the 12 months.

TheZohan wrote: »
    With Bord Gais you have to agree to level pay, which essentially means you will be paying a fixed price for a period of 12 months, they typically overcharge by 20% of the gas usage in your house. You can only get a refund on that 20% after the 12 months.

Yep TZ - "level pay" and similar "budget" offers by suppliers always favour the supplier. They're a rip off !! That's just one reason why I'm not taking up the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

As an existing customer, I would get 5% discount. I was waiting to see the offer but I can get better from both Energia and Electric Ireland. A lost opportunity I think

BTW, they are being paid a commission by Bord Gais for each client who transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I thought someone had stumbled across the control panel for Boards and was marvelling at its simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 The Guv

Not true. If they are overcharging you, they will reduce your monthly payments within a year. You don't have to keep paying the same amount every month for a whole year.

The Guv wrote: »
    Not true. If they are overcharging you, they will reduce your monthly payments within a year. You don't have to keep paying the same amount every month for a whole year.

Not my experience, Guv. The annual estimate is divided by 12 by the supplier and charged monthly. You cannot prove an overcharge until the year has ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Wrong.

From their own site: http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/levelpay/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 The Guv

Wrong.

From their own site: http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/levelpay/

In practise, it works differently.

In practise, it works differently.

In practice, they overcharge you for a year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

One big gimmick just heard the founder on the radio you'd swear he was working for the people and not getting commission for everyone that switches. It's the same nonsense as salesmen knocking on your door wanting you to switch providers for cheaper electricity. When you do switch you are still paying the same or even more. Competition me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

I was just looking at OBS deal on Electricity and yes. I see no benefit to the final consumer. If you go to boardgais website you have the exact same deal. New and existing customers. (http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/electricity/existing/)
    And no countdown lock to make the switch.

I was expecting this to be more than a marketing strategy. Unless this is just the first of many and improved opportunities!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 c0c0nut

I checked out the figures on the OBS electricity only offer and I can't see any saving in the first year.
    I estimate that it would cost me over €200 extra in year 1 due to the level pay 20% unit loading.
    You would need to wait 'till year 2 to receive the promised €80 "cashback" and would be lucky to save any money unless you were given a full refund of the year 1 level pay loading.
    My bi-monthly bill is over €35 cheaper with Electric Ireland up front for the 1st 14 months.
    The standing charge is also more expensive with Bord Gais.
    Hope OBS can do a lot better with their next project!

I will give them the credit for stirring up the market......it took Oliver to get Electric Ireland to offer a 15% unit discount to existing subscribers for moving to direct debit & on-line billing......standard offering was just 8% before OBS got stuck in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Bump....why didn't I see this thread a long time ago........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Gas is for cissies, and yanks. Petrol is where it's at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

You need diesel for power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

I'm still waiting for the €80 cashback, and waiting for the level pay amount to be reduced. Has anyone got this €80 cash back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Read the title and thought, "Yeah I love a good 40 yard cross field pass".....disappointed to then read the OP :( :P

I'm still waiting for the €80 cashback, and waiting for the level pay amount to be reduced. Has anyone got this €80 cash back?

I rang them this evening after no joy last week as I had to wait for my May bill..
    In short still no reading submitted by the meter reader and it was still pending and no emailed bill....so had that to give that myself this evening and it may take another 10-15 days for an emailed bill!!

Reduced my level pay by approx €8 per month which seems a bit mad given I've been overcharged the past few months during using less elect months IMO.
    In short I thought I was going to have no bill for the next 1.5 months and use up my built up credit (cash back and overcharge) but no they still take out the same amount next month and the one after and they leave that as credit "just" in case you go over or up your consumption next year as is my understanding of the explanation I was given...
    I then asked how do I get the money back.....if I switch provider and when the account is closed I get a final figure then I've to ask for the refund...
    All very complex and ridiculous.

I've their new rate of €0.161 per unit less 10% off and €100?? cash back offer....next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

I see a credit of €80.01 was applied to my account yesterday. That's very useful. I now have a credit balance of €178 with them. That's hardly 'cash' back. One big con is right.

I see a credit of €80.01 was applied to my account yesterday. That's very useful. I now have a credit balance of €178 with them. That's hardly 'cash' back. One big con is right.

Go on bonkers.ie and key in your annual usage (it's on the bill) see what you get...
    ESB/Energia are very close.

Weird how OBS stuck with Bord Gais when they just about make the top 10 on offers from Bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

You've €80 paid off your gas bill so now you have €80 extra in your pocket that you don't have to use to pay your gas bill... how is this a con? :confused:

I don't understand the attraction of this level pay thing either - false economy. If you're under-paying, then you're building up a debt which will come back to bite you eventually. If you're over-paying, you're paying for more than you're using, which you'll get back eventually too but I still don't see the point. Why not just set up a standing order and then when you get your bill, you'll see what you have left to pay in two weeks, or what you've overpaid (which can go towards your next bill).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

You've €80 paid off your gas bill so now you have €80 extra in your pocket that you don't have to use to pay your gas bill... how is this a con? :confused:

I don't understand the attraction of this level pay thing either - false economy. If you're under-paying, then you're building up a debt which will come back to bite you eventually. If you're over-paying, you're paying for more than you're using, which you'll get back eventually too but I still don't see the point. Why not just set up a standing order and then when you get your bill, you'll see what you have left to pay in two weeks, or what you've overpaid (which can go towards your next bill).

This is not really what happens with level pay though! Even though the poster has a credit of over 170 built up bord gais still take the agreed level pay amount each month regardless of the credit on the account. The only way to get your money back is on cancelling or if you have built up a credit over a certain amount I think it's €200. So effectively giving the utility provider an interest free loan really.

When I first signed up to the deal I didn't understand level pay at all. They set my monthly payment at €80. It's a single person household ! After a few months I noticed a large credit accumulating so I contacted them. They agreed to drop the payment and set it at €63 per month. Considering I'm supposed to get a 10% discount I'm still paying more than I ever have for electricity. Also the €80 cash back is a farce. You are not receiving "cash" your receiving a credit to what is an already over paid account that you can't access until you cancel the service or over pay them enough to warrant a refund. It's not something I will be signing up to again. Level pay is a crock of sh1t.

Advertisement