Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DC111 - Business Studies, DCU in general? HELP!

• 26-03-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you all are getting tired of the endless threads posted here asking about what every course at DCU is like and i'm sure there will be loads more in the next few weeks. However, I would REALLY appreciate if any of you could answer a few questions about DC111 - Business Studies as I'm completely torn right now.

I had my heart set on doing DT365 - Business and Management at DIT for the last while now but I have recently been looking at the business courses at DCU and the one that caught my eye was DC111 - Business studies.

I liked the idea of it being just a general business course because i'm still not quite sure what I want to do as a career. I will also be moving in august and I will be a lot closer to DCU than I would be to DIT.

Anyway, without this turning into an essay I just have some questions i'd like to ask and would really appreciate it if you could answer, even if you don't do business at DCU.

1. What is the atmosphere like at DCU?
    The reason I was interested in DIT is because it is a lot smaller than DCU. I feel like DCU would be really overwhelming, is that the case? or do you get used to it?

2. How many people would be on the course?

3. How many hours are involved in DC111 - Business studies a week? are there many lecture gaps?

4. Is it easy to make friends? Are the people nice in general?

5. Is the course manageable? Is it an interesting course to study? Are the lecturers any good?
    I'm not a slacker by any means, but, I want to do something that is genuinely interesting to study. I have a strong interest in business so obviously that helps. I also want to have a life outside of the course.

6. Clubs and societies?
    I've heard this is a good way to make new friends. I'm not really into sports or that. I hear they have like a radio station and a newspaper published at DCU but I assume you have to do media to be a part of that. Is there anything else that is interesting that doesn't really involve sports?

I'm sorry to babble on, just really can't make my mind up.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I can answer your last one, firstly you don't have to be in a media course to get involved in radio or newspaper. Their all part of the Media production Society. Only the clubs are really Sports Based. Societies are not, There'd ones for all sorts of interests, like Books, Art, Sci fi, gaming, Film, photography, Music,Drama, Circus skills, there's ones that cover most courses like business, computing nursing etc. Even really niece ones like Harry Potter, or even Tea.

Societies are probably the easiest way to make friends in DCU. Especially when you present yourself as a first year, everyone will want to show you around, all the societies are really working to get new first year members.

I actually found that DCU being big made it easier. It meant its easy to blend in, and you don't stand out at times if you are on your own. There's enough people that its likely you can easily find someone you'll get on with. There's always new people to meet, and first years are all in the same boat, looking for people to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LiamGGG

Noodleworm wrote: »
    I can answer your last one, firstly you don't have to be in a media course to get involved in radio or newspaper. Their all part of the Media production Society. Only the clubs are really Sports Based. Societies are not, There'd ones for all sorts of interests, like Books, Art, Sci fi, gaming, Film, photography, Music,Drama, Circus skills, there's ones that cover most courses like business, computing nursing etc. Even really niece ones like Harry Potter, or even Tea.

Societies are probably the easiest way to make friends in DCU. Especially when you present yourself as a first year, everyone will want to show you around, all the societies are really working to get new first year members.

I actually found that DCU being big made it easier. It meant its easy to blend in, and you don't stand out at times if you are on your own. There's enough people that its likely you can easily find someone you'll get on with. There's always new people to meet, and first years are all in the same boat, looking for people to talk to.

Definitely gives me a bit of insight into the social aspect of it. I suppose whichever course I choose, it's gonna be a daunting experience at first anyway.

Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Hey,
    I'm currently in my final year of business studies in DCU and would recommend it highly. DCU has a leading reputation as a business university and an excellent relationship with employers and a strong alumni relationship. Yes, people argue that DIT does offer you an equivalent level 8 degree, but the reputation DCU has is far superior, I probably am abit biased however!

1.I've never been to DIT so I don't know, but personally I didn't want to go to DIT as I felt it all appeared disjoined with colleges all over the city and no central place, DCU has 1 library, 1 student bar and clubs and socs area, everything is within a 5 min walk, no need for buses of luas ect. Not: if you are driving, parking is a disaster in DCU!

2. It is a rather big course and off the top of my head I'd say 160, but you will find that a good few modules you do are shared with other smaller courses such as european business or aviation management.

3. As far as I know its 12 hours lectures a week with maybe 1 or 2 hours tutorials. Regarding gaps, its very much dependent on the timetable and often the timetables can be quite disfavourable, but there isn't anything you can do. Timetables change every semester.

4.Yes, the people are all genuinely nice. You will get to know so many people in first year and its in first year that you will make the bulk of your classmates I found, but everyone is different.

5. 1st and 2nd year is very manageable. I'll be honest 4th/final year is an absolute nightmare, don't even know how I've time to write this, but thats what you got to do to get a degree. Its equivalent if not worse than the leaving cert but by the time you get to final year, everyone is so focused and ambitious its mentally easier than the leaving. I know I stress how tough final year is, don't let this blurr your thoughts as I've spoke to people on other courses in DCU and similar business courses in other uni's and final year is the biggie!!

6.There literally is a club and soc for everyone, I myself am heavily involved in the karting club!

Btw, I should emphasise and this is something I never thought much before I entered DCU but only appreciate now, is the year INTRA placement. This is an extremely worthwhile year spent in a "proper job". 1st and 2nd year theory all feels abit waffly until you do INTRA and can start applying loads of things you never though you'd use! Bare this in mind as many courses just offer a straight 3 year degree, but alot of other business schools are copying the DCU model.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carlowmurphy

I'm in the same boat as yourself. Looking to do Business next year. Have both the DC111 and the DIT Business Management course down on my CAO. I've went to the DCU open day and I have to say I fell in love with the campus. Great atmosphere and people around.
    I didn't go to the DIT open day but I've been talking to a lad who is now in his 3rd year in DIT and he is sorry he didn't choose DCU. He hates the way it is so spread out over the city. He's an outgoing person but still says it's fairly hard to get to know people as everyone is constantly on the move.
    Both courses do look good and both have work experience. It's a tough choice but I'm definitely putting DCU down as 1.
    Hope to see you up there in September :)

Advertisement