Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth 'Revival'?

Options
  • 26-03-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

Had dinner in Chill this evening ,pleasant as always with unique middle of the road vibe and tasty grub.Nice to see quite a few new cafés/restaurants and businesses opening .Avenue upstairs Wine bar and a new 'separate' one coming also .Siopa Milsean sweet shop which will take a few bob off BonBon's old style sweet counter (and has ice cream too - and doesn't shut at 530 - seriously bad move by a nice place I'd eat in far more often but for that )New cafe beside The Mill -old wine shop .Newish clothes repair place ('ZipYard'?).Maybe some actual 'green shoots' in the economy ?Must be hard for start ups .'Bargain shop and clothes recycling place gone .Both sweet shop and barbers were open after 7pm on a Wednesday .Hopefully they'll reap rewards when/ if upturn comes .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Chill was absolutely dead this evening. When we left at 7:50 there were no customers left and it was still open until 10pm. Really can't see it lasting much longer as it appears from the few times that I have been in it to not have a steady enough trade to make it a viable business. Hope i'm wrong in that as I find the grub to be nice and well priced. They should have the midweek deal on every week inorder to bring in business.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we tried it twice and the food was unimpressive.
    Maynooth is a great place to go out in though,nice pubs and good restaurants and nice to see new places popping up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've found the food in Chill lovely anytime I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chill is in a terrible location that hasn't worked for any previous establishment; the intent of that side of the shopping centre to effectively become a street never worked out.

Maynooth has never really had a serious retail/commercial decline compared to other parts of the country, so I wouldn't consider what's happening now to be much different to what was before. There's extremely limited retail space available (possibly even under 10 units - including some at Newtown and Griffin Rath which are not town centre)

Advertisement