Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van/tipper choice

• 26-03-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi I'm starting a timber / firewood business and am looking for a secondhand van derived truck. Eg transit tipper/drop side. Also hope to be transporting a compact tractor about 1ton I hope to be delivering barrow bags etc so a tail lift or palfinger hoist would help. Any recommendation welcome. Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Aya xxv wrote: »
    Hi I'm starting a timber / firewood business and am looking for a secondhand van derived truck. Eg transit tipper/drop side. Also hope to be transporting a compact tractor about 1ton I hope to be delivering barrow bags etc so a tail lift or palfinger hoist would help. Any recommendation welcome. Ta

You kinda answered your own question there Aya! Would it not be a case of see whats for sale and go from there? Have a browse of DD etc and see what you can get for your budget. My mate does the same for a living and runs a 3.5t canter tipper with high sides, he finds it very good, but hard on juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

Is the canter on a b licence. I wanted to keep it a van derived as trucks awkward where I'll be delivering. Also smaller engine less diesel etc Renault master or transit or vw crafter

Is the canter on a b licence. I wanted to keep it a van derived as trucks awkward where I'll be delivering. Also smaller engine less diesel etc Renault master or transit or vw crafter

Canter is b empty, C loaded... :) You're looking at a Transit so, realistically, and a pre 06 if you want it to stay running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

Dynas are good vehicles

kay 9 wrote: »
    Dynas are good reliable vehicles
    fyp. And reliable is all they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

fyp. And reliable is all they are.

The tippers are right handy and narrow if delivering fuel. Not the nicest driver though. Nearly got one myself but the drive let's it down agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

you will need a truck licence and possibly a transport licence / cpc certs, etc, if you go much bigger that 3.5 tonner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

Yeah don't want to go down that road yet lots of guys raced in this year and had no timber left by Xmas and let down a lot of potential repeat customers also a good few trying to pass of unseasoned wood as quality firewood. Bad reps now and will struggle next winter IMO. I'm getting in with an agent for a good stove brand of which I have one and he will be giving out my contact details with each stove so I want to start small but hold onto any clients I get. So delivery will be an important part of the service. I don't think they'd fancy me turning up with the tractor and trailer muck all over the road!!! So a little van derived tipper/drop side with barrow bags. Frequent deliveries regular contacts. Think it's important to build a good base

kay 9 wrote: »
    The tippers are right handy and narrow if delivering fuel. Not the nicest driver though. Nearly got one myself but the drive let's it down agree

I had a few, the usual 100s, 150s and a big axel 4.2l Jap Import tipper - all were tough and reliable, but I'd rather sit on the roof of a transit than inside a Dyna. Awful to drive, awful on long journeys and parts are dear, in the case of the 4.2, seriously dear. They do like a drop of diesel as well, especially the D4Ds.

Advertisement