Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job.. confused about holidays/mandatory hols..

Options
  • 26-03-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

My situation is as follows, I've started work in a small company in the New Year. The company normally closes for a week at the end of June and people get their days taken from the 20 annual days. I know employers get to decide if you can/can't take holidays off that you want but is it normal/legal for them to force you to take holidays that use up your holiday days? Also, what happens if you haven't enough holiday days worked up by that stage, ie say 4 days worked up but it's closed for 5?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If you started in early January and work a five day week, you will have a minimum 20 days annual leave per year. The exact entitlement is based on hours worked and holiday days accrued pro rata (after six months you would have accrued 10 days hols) Check your contract for info on dates when holidays have to be taken but yes it is legal and they are giving you three months notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

newdude123 wrote: »
    I know employers get to decide if you can/can't take holidays off that you want but is it normal/legal for them to force you to take holidays that use up your holiday days?

Yes, that's allowed and it's not that unusual.
    newdude123 wrote: »
    Also, what happens if you haven't enough holiday days worked up by that stage, ie say 4 days worked up but it's closed for 5?

Not too sure - that day might be unpaid, or it might be paid and you'll "owe" them a day. Or they might not allow you to use up all your entitlement to ensure you have the days to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Your firm are probably going to close for a few days over next Christmas too so you would need to keep some holidays for then too. Check your contract.

Advertisement