Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline Thread 27/03/14 to date

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

The guy from Auschwitz searched for his brother over Europe, yet these families wouldn't search for their daughters/sisters/grand-children down the road.

Says it all.

These Orders were enabled by the families and the state, doubt the fathers were "influenced" by the Church, and they bear responsibility, not entitlement to sympathy.

That said, if these women wish to find the fathers, etc, then they should be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Its all about me me me - I'm great, I'm so professional, me me me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

How do you know she was a doctor? ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Alan....be careful what you wish for re regulation ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

scam scam scam.. :D
    edit
    the first thing you do when selling a car online is not to meet the person in a public place..

• Advertisement

This guy can get onto Shannon Tax Office and the Guards and sort this out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

How many days has the Auschwitz survivor finding his long lost brother been on Mooney now - or is in the promo every day and they haven't got to it yet? Getting a bit like the Liveline promos now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

dvcireland wrote: »
    over the past 2 weeks Bowman's Sunday has been looking back on the Anti-Jazz campaign of 1934:

It's a pity the anti jazz campaign didn't succeed.

Can't stand the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

LOL, I was going to say the same myself yesterday bit given the subject topic I bailed from my afternoon Liveline session and everything that went with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

C'est 13:49

• Advertisement

Breakdown imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

missery straight off the batt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

XCKUSJP.gif

Clearly this lady is in distress. What is she getting from phoning Joe. Its really hard to continually listen to these stories. Why has no-one said, what were the nuns/authorities thinking? its just horrendous story after story - why isn't anyone trying to contact these religious orders to find out what the hell they were thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Isn't this a bit different than the home for the mother and child cases though ? In this case the baby was born and sent to hospital where she unfortunately died ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Isn't this a bit different than the home for the mother and child cases though ? In this case the baby was born and sent to hospital where she unfortunately died ?

but they never told the mother he chilld had died

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

AK333 wrote: »
    Clearly this lady is in distress. What is she getting from phoning Joe. Its really hard to continually listen to these stories. Why has no-one said, what were the nuns/authorities thinking? its just horrendous story after story - why isn't anyone trying to contact these religious orders to find out what the hell they were thinking

Probably dead or sheltered by their orders and/or church and in certain circumstances the government. Remember the government paid these orders to "Look after" these kids.

"What happened your aunt?"

starting to think the nuns were a bigger bunch of ***** then the priests

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

"Surely the nuns had a duty of care" - actually the families had a duty of care and they failed in their duty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Sacred Tart?

neris wrote: »
    starting to think the nuns were a bigger bunch of ***** then the priests

Sadistic feckers they are - these mother and baby homes existed in the 1980's. Irish society must be rotten to the core

yop wrote: »
    Probably dead or sheltered by their orders and/or church and in certain circumstances the government. Remember the government paid these orders to "Look after" these kids.

Yes, but they should start naming and shaming the actual nuns/priests and their Orders and start demanding answers from the Diocese and Rome. I have never in all my life heard of such abuse, on such a huge scale, with the religious - and they seem to be immune to normal acceptable behaviours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Ohmigod, this is almost the most miserable I've ever felt on a friday afternoon...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

My nerves are shot listening to this, this is unreal, poor fella

AK333 wrote: »
    Sadistic feckers they are - these mother and baby homes existed in the 1980's. Irish society must be rotten to the core

id say that john charles mcquaid was Irelands equivilant to Hitler. That preachy wanker was running the country with an iron fist and was in the church when lots of this was happening

sudzs wrote: »
    Ohmigod, this is almost the most miserable I've ever felt on a friday afternoon...... :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'd have strangled him.

It just beggers belief... the mind boggles. This is relatively recent and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened today :mad:

• Advertisement

as much as we take the piss out of joe and his love of misery by putting these issues on air hes uncovering a past that is getting more and more sickening every time he returns to the church and their abuses

snubbleste wrote: »

Thank you! That worked a treat! :D:D:D

as much as we take the piss out of joe and his love of misery by putting these issues on air hes uncovering a past that is getting more and more sickening every time he returns to the church and their abuses

Very much agree, as a father and someone whose brothers baby died after 2 days this is incredibly hard to listen to. Its like listening to a disgusting film. :(

uuuuugggghhhhh thats horrible. i was making my communion in 88 disgusting to think that was going on at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

My aunt "fell" pregnant out of Wedlock in Leitrim and her sister in law offered to adopt and raise the child to save the family their shame. She had the baby and quickly got married to my uncle.

...that was in the early nineties.

and even the fecking funneral takers were in on the whole morality **** aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So this is the same Catholic church that campaigned for the right to life of the unborn during the abortion referendum in the 1980's yet doesn't acknowledge the lives of these twins who died of natural causes in the same decade.

What a shower of inhumane bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

uuuuugggghhhhh thats horrible. i was making my communion in 88 disgusting to think that was going on at the same time

And in another sort of weird way, the whole country was in elation that summer watching the football team out in Germany, while worse dark events were happening here, right under our noses, sickening it is :(

id say that john charles mcquaid was Irelands equivilant to Hitler. That preachy wanker was running the country with an iron fist and was in the church when lots of this was happening

Yep, Archbishop in Dublin and Primate of Ireland between 1940 and 1972 and surprise surprise, allegations of abuse against him as well. It starts at the top, I'm sickened by hearing this poor man's story

My radio is leaking.

wonder how many priests will try brush this over or try to make it sound like it had to be done at the time this sunday at mass

• Advertisement

I just wonder what else is left to come out.
    I keep thinking about that comment months back about a group of men setting a pregnant woman into a currach alone into the Atlantic without oars.

wonder how many priests will try brush this over or try to make it sound like it had to be done at the time this sunday at mass

I'll let you know Monday - previously they have apologised for the hurt caused etc etc. They never say we were wrong, miserable, violent sadists and its still happening. They just drip feed platitudes then ask the congregation to pray for the religious to get through blah blah blah. I've walked out of mass before now, they drive me mad but I go because I have children making the sacraments at a catholic school but I tell them exactly whats been going on - I try to separate the priests/nuns from the gospel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I wonder will enda revoke the invitation to pope francis now , don't be fooled francis knew about this as well , he's the same as all the recent antichrist popes

Yes, they all knew. From the parish priests, bishops, etc. upwards and if they weren't actively participating in the abuse they knew someone who was and said and did nothing to stop it so they are all guilty by association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭baldbear

Oops69 wrote: »
    I wonder will enda revoke the invitation to pope francis now , don't be fooled francis knew about this as well , he's the same as all the recent antichrist popes

Everyone knows about these mass graves around the country. Its sickening the way women were and still are treated by the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

What happened to these young mothers and children was disgusting. But also remember that most of these girls had families, just like the 4000 people who were buried in unmarked graves in St Ita's, Portrane, In the case of Portrane a lot of people were but in and forgotten about by families.

Families were happy to forget about their embarrassing family members, even in death. I have never heard any of these people prepared to justify their actions (or in action's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

snubbleste wrote: »
    I just wonder what else is left to come out.
    I keep thinking about that comment months back about a group of men setting a pregnant woman into a currach alone into the Atlantic without oars.

Those are what people refer to as 'the good old days'. You know, the time when Ireland was holy and Catholic and foreign countries were places of sin and godlessness. :rolleyes:

Nobody can claim that it was not generally known what these places were for and what they were like. The women were consigned to these hellholes by their own kith and kin and everyone one their communities knew full well.

What a bunch of nasty uncaring people the Irish were, and, I suspect, still are.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Shure lads we may as well ask.

what was liveline doing about this back in the 80s under marion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Shure lads we may as well ask.

what was liveline doing about this back in the 80s under marion?
    Probably giving out about the difficulty getting a place on a pilgrimage to Lourdes or the quailty of the statues in the hawkers stalls in knock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Jesus H Christ.... Misery misery and more misery... Where's ever there is happiness Joe goes right around it and straight to the misery section....

I'm also hugely concerned about where I walk since hearing about of the women who fell pregnant.. I thought you could only get pregnant by having sexual intercourse with a person of the opposite sex, but I was obviously wrong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement