Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline Thread 27/03/14 to date

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,957 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Roger_007 wrote: »
    "She HAD to sign her son away......" No she ffn well didn't; plenty of women in the 1970s kept their babies. I know a few.

Country dwellers under the thumb of the wan in the pulpit, some of whom weren't very pleasant people at all.
    My tradition and background is different, but the same type of utter bistirds held sway where I was from. I despised them then and still do, wherever I find them.
    Now, that's not to say all people of a religious cloth are axleholes, indeed, many aren't, but it used to be an attractive profession for those who were a bit inadequate and looked for a bit of petty power.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

neris wrote: »
    were there any families who turned around and said **** what the church and neighbours think your having your baby and you can both live at home??

Plenty. This woman is pathetic. She waited( OUT OF RESPECT:eek:) until her mother was dead before she would try to trace her son. Has she no mind of her own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm convinced that by the time Joe is finished, he'll have spoken to every mother who has ever put their child up for adoption. He must be well past the 50% mark at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

signostic wrote: »
    I find it somewhat strange in my mind that these people prayed to God while those who were chosen by God meted out such savage treatment.

I can't understand this either - and I'm talking about myself! I go to mass, but I look at the priests and religious and I want to spit in their eye and stand up and shout them down - but I don't and the church still has a firm grip on rural communities - but they are becoming more and more irrelevant

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PauloMN wrote: »
    The Church excuse is a cop out. People are big enough and bold enough to make their own decisions. Plenty of people stuck by their young daughters, those who didn't are cowards and should be ashamed of themselves.

Its a reality I'm afraid, why do you think the 1000's of abuse cases by priests didn't come out?
    Garda and priests were to be feared and if you stepped out of line then you were disowned.
    Some stuck and some didn't, those that did are the better people for it, those who didn't are probably still as stuck in the past now as then.
    That generation were a strange beast.

51551. More misery after the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

The reason her family didn't let her keep her baby was the church controlled it parishners through brainwashing which was the order of the day back then, all it took was one story to get out and now the floodgates have opened. The church has destroyed some peoples lives and Joe, again, fails to attack them whereas if it's sinn fein or head shops he goes on a crusade.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

AK333 wrote: »
    I can't understand this either - and I'm talking about myself! I go to mass, but I look at the priests and religious and I want to spit in their eye and stand up and shout them down - but I don't and the church still has a firm grip on rural communities - but they are becoming more and more irrelevant

Agree with that as someone who grew up in rural Ireland, not going to mass wasn't an option, it was only when I returned from living away that I realised how bad it was, though as you said there is a generation of 50 yrs old + that are the majority who now go to mass.
    My parents both in late 60's refuse to go to mass due to all that has come out in the last number of years, its an incredible turn around.

Just had a thought. What if Joe is interviewing the mothers and interviewing the children of these women? I wonder do his researchers keep track of the people phoning in and try and match them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Live line my hole, should be renamed the Deadline!

• Advertisement

Just had a thought. What if Joe is interviewing the mothers and interviewing the children of these women? I wonder do his researchers keep track of the people phoning in and try and match them?

I'd say the only thing they track is the amount of tear/misery/pain they can get out of each caller.
    And the amount Joe has earned per minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

joe would love that

I think someone mentioned it here yesterday, but I am convinced our relationship with alcohol is a legacy of what our citizens have had to go through in times past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned it here yesterday, but I am convinced our relationship with alcohol is a legacy of what our citizens have had to go through in times past.

that was me

drink was the only escape from the crushing vice the church had this country in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The reason her family didn't let her keep her baby was the church controlled it parishners through brainwashing which was the order of the day back then, all it took was one story to get out and now the floodgates have opened. The church has destroyed some peoples lives and Joe, again, fails to attack them whereas if it's sinn fein or head shops he goes on a crusade.

So the family should bear no responsibility whatsoever? That's pathetic tbh.

Yes the church as an institution have to shoulder blame in all of this, but so to do the families. People put their own image in a community above the love of their own children, and that's abhorrent. Typical Ireland though, blame everyone but themselves.

"It's the fault of the church/bank/guards/government/<insert institution here>" etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Good point.

All the pain and misery that an awful lot of people went through in this god fearing state, it obviously sent some of them down the road to drink.

Although in that case, Joe must be reaching for the whiskey bottle come 1.50 every day;)

I'd like to offer my services but rather than go to the Charities/HSE, I rang Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BPKS wrote: »
    Good point.

All the pain and misery that an awful lot of people went through in this god fearing state, it obviously sent some of them down the road to drink.

Although in that case, Joe must be reaching for the whiskey bottle come 1.50 every day;)

What u mean Joe reaching for the whiskey....WE ARE !

So the family should bear no responsibility whatsoever? That's pathetic tbh.

Yes the church as an institution have to shoulder blame in all of this, but so to do the families. People put their own image in a community above the love of their own children, and that's abhorrent. Typical Ireland though, blame everyone but themselves.

"It's the fault of the church/bank/guards/government/<insert institution here>" etc..

I don't think I said the family are absolved of all blame, of course they have to take a huge portion of the blame. However where did the families shame come from? who caused that shame? who decided in the first place it was wrong to have a baby out of wedlock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I don't believe what this woman is saying about the social worker.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

and for every single mother and baby, there was a father somewhere, no mention of them and would these women now name those fathers of their children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

This girl was 14 ffss lads. What about the lad that got her pregnant!!!!.....probably older and took advantage....Joe ask her who the father is . This girl was the same as a lot of others. Not much upsyatirs

BPKS wrote: »
    Good point.

Joe gets his jollies in a different manner.
    U226cAb.jpg

"As you know".

He must be one of Joe's mates.

The Church excuse is a cop out. People are big enough and bold enough to make their own decisions. Plenty of people stuck by their young daughters, those who didn't are cowards and should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't believe that blaming the church is a cop out. Even married women in the 60's and early 70's had to be "churched" before they were allowed receive communion after they had given birth. They were seen as dirty by the clergy.

• Advertisement

Joe do be lovin all of this. More mother and baby stories for the rest of the month. Tune in tomorrow for more morbid misery folks.

Internet radio here I come.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I had to turn off today I just can't listen to these stories anymore they are just horrendous. I came back to the thread and seen how quiet it was, I think basically because this is all so horrendous. Joe I reckon has actually managed to kill the thread, if he continues in this vein for the next few weeks the thread will be gone. Which is sad cause I like the thread and the funny (even though they aren't meant to be) live lahnnnnn episodes. (eg. Nigerian embassy and parking). Life is hard enough without subject yourself to listen daily to the nightmare these people suffered at the hands of church, state and family :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

pc7 wrote: »
    (eg. Nigerian embassy and parking).

Sh1te, I must have missed that one, was it good?

I think we all agree how awful the stories of late are, even if we slightly disagree as to who is responsible!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It was brilliant, just did a search, think this might be the right one, has a download for it. IIRC some caller actually started to do a Nigerian accent!

Also if you missed the one about the people swimming with and being attacked by Dusty the dolphin think it was last year, it was hilarious. I actually started to cry with laughter.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/166467-liveline-takes-nigerian-embassy-over-misuse-diplomatic-immunity.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Or god forbid, Joe would ask why the organisation that he now works for did absolutely nothing to help the people of the time.

A lot of this as happening while our national public broadcaster turned a blind eye and never mentioned it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

oh not again..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sounds more like PoW camp than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Again, Joe? You cannot be f**King serious.... If Liveline arent courageous to talk about topical issues cos Joe is afraid of "spending the next six weeks in the Hoy Court", then they should just close the show down... Cos at the moment The Documentary Hour is more current than Liveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Jeez , cats out of the bag now , where have all these guys been for the last 4o yrs , going to mass and keeping their mouths shut and doffing the caps with the "yes father and yes , sister " , shocking .

Oops69 wrote: »
    going to mass and keeping their mouths shut and doffing the caps with the "yes father and yes , sister " , shocking .

Did this all take place in Downton Abbey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

looking for his baby brother

very sad:(

Tom Gorman?

1351058048.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Tom Gorman?

1351058048.jpg
    He's another fcuker who needs to lighten up ,whenever he's on about some ****e up north you'd think he's announcing Armageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

silent tears.

joes favorite.

• Advertisement

lol... he's not here at the moment... :pac:

Again, Joe? You cannot be f**King serious.... If Liveline arent courageous to talk about topical issues cos Joe is afraid of "spending the next six weeks in the Hoy Court", then they should just close the show down... Cos at the moment The Documentary Hour is more current than Liveline.

Documentary Hour me hole,Reelin In The Years is more current.
    The Government is imploding and Duffy still on about this. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

this is brutal radio , as bad as i have heard on live line

2smiggy wrote: »
    this is brutal radio , as bad as i have heard on live line

You mean you've heard worse.!!!:eek:

F**k me, I'm not going around to his house to watch Brazil v Croatia.. :(

This is shoyte. I'm turning off, now.

Did they have Sky Sports?

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    This is shoyte. I'm turning off, now.

Don't go this HAS to get better..

For every Georgie ringing in, there's 1,000's behind them queing up, most depressing radio that shows up all of Irish society. horrendous stuff and still the religious keep stum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ah jaysus an auld tarmac scam story would be appreciated. The grim greaper has had enough time on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement