Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline Thread 27/03/14 to date

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'll give George one this, his dignity and respect for the others callers is 2nd to none on this show. Hats off to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

what a load of racist bollocks that song is !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

More stage Irish sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What do ya think of this one Joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Mooney is a smug git , much preferred Shay Byrne who did his show for the past few weeks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

yop wrote: »
    I'll give George one this, his dignity and respect for the others callers is 2nd to none on this show. Hats off to him.
    George reminds me of my own late Father, an individual that had digity and respect for others, he'd sit in front of the TV and roar laugh at that BBC comedy show ''last of the summer wine'' I never got it, but whatever floats your boat. My Father never shouted anybody down and never used the ''f'' word, but I guessed that's the way he was reared, and so was I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

yop wrote: »

I was FUMING on the way back in the car today....

The usual oul boll*x from Joe Duffy...He brings on air a caller who is presented to the listener as being a "random caller who phoned in", who conveniently happens to share amazingly similar opinions to Joe Duffy himself about the topic being discussed.. the topic in this case being a show that Duffy himself has worked on, and used his own resources to endlessly promote...

The man with the contrary opinion is presented as being a luddite, and has to endure being shouted over (which Duffy qualifies by saying that it's an "open forum"), abused and mocked by the presenter's smugly facetious questions.. A woman rang in saying that her FOUR YEAR OLD was allowed to watch Mrs Brown's Boys, which the presenter let go unchallenged, in spite of the fact that even the BBC puts the show on after the watershed and as such does not consider the program to be appropriate for minors.....

I actually get a laugh out of Mrs Brown's Boys, so I'm not a hater.. But Joe Duffy's presenting is gone way beyond being just subjective.. The show is his own little soapbox at this stage... Even if he does it by proxy..

*blood pressure returns to normal :)*

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭endas donkey

an hour and a quarter of radio turned over to promoting his mates new movie. Impartiality went out the window when George disagreed with duffys view of things so he hauls in the bullys to tackle george. We are probably going to have this for the rest of the week.

as mentioned above this show should be renamed Duffys Soapbox and personal agenda show and feck everything else.

with the way the government/ eu are running this country why not discuss issues like this or is he afraid to go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Obviously the sun has gotten to Duffy's brain after today's drivvle of a show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

an hour and a quarter of radio turned over to promoting his mates new movie. Impartiality went out the window when George disagreed with duffys view of things so he hauls in the bullys to tackle george. We are probably going to have this for the rest of the week.

as mentioned above this show should be renamed Duffys Soapbox and personal agenda show and feck everything else.

with the way the government/ eu are running this country why not discuss issues like this or is he afraid to go there
    Afraid of his shadow is Joe!

Last week or so he had a caller on who had been a friend of the late Noel Browne and during the discussion Joe mentioned Mary Robinson getting the Presidency.

The caller then said that Noel Browne had hated Mary's 'light in the window of the Áras' shtick.

Instead of asking him why this was, Duffy said goodbye and thanks.

Intrepid reporter he ain't, and some 'open' forum he runs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I rarely listen to Liveline and after today's offering, I don't think I'm missing much - blatant promotion of MBB movie by Joe, who just happens to star in same movie and is a friend (it appears) of Brendan O'Carroll, likewise Derek Mooney who regularly promotes MBB. There are so many local hardworking community arts groups who would kill for the type of the exposure MBB gets from Duffy, Mooney etc and whose earnest artistic endeavours far exceed the populist bawdyism of MBB. Was Duffy challenged at all about his partisanship in promoting the movie or on his connection with same ? The least he should have done was to declare his interest ! I made a decision a few years ago not to listen to Liveline because of it's regularly onesided harangues and Duffy's agenda driven presentation style, for which he is handsomely remunerated by the taxpayer 😡 A live phone in programme has merit on our national broadcaster ok but moderated by an impartial chair, which Duffy certainly isn't, on many topics discussed - self promoting more like !

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Only heard the beginning of today's show (thankfully, having read the thread) - maybe JD might like to know where BOC gets his material. Roy Chubby Brown was mentioned earlier. He wasn't the only English night club comedian he has plagiarised. Compare and contrast the following -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzbVhp7Ir74

now have a look at this from 5.26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4QqsfJlt0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,219 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

to paraphrase Stuart Lee "if your material can be plagiarized by Brendan O'Carrol maybe it's time to write better material".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

why does BOC use the 'childhood poverty' vibe, wasn't his mother a TD?

...and does Doreen ever get an 'oul mention? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hitchens wrote: »
    Afraid of his shadow is Joe!

Last week or so he had a caller on who had been a friend of the late Noel Browne and during the discussion Joe mentioned Mary Robinson getting the Presidency.

The caller then said that Noel Browne had hated Mary's 'light in the window of the Áras' shtick.

Instead of asking him why this was, Duffy said goodbye and thanks.

Intrepid reporter he ain't, and some 'open' forum he runs :rolleyes:

There have been so many times where callers have gone off the beaten track and given golden nuggets of information not heard before giving Duffy an open goal on a topic and what does he do? he moves along unless it's the corpse of a hundred year old child driving a fire brigade around a model railway,,then he is all ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,589 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm with George all the way on this one.

Not for his prudishness or taste in comedy.

But for the dignified manner in which he has handled all these inarticulate shouting women being egged on by Duffy like the bully in the playground.

I also only tuned in for about 10 minutes early on in the show, and had to switch off before I had a stroke or a heart attack or something. All I could hear was Dubs out-shouting/abusing each other (including Joe, the supposed impartial host), with one vaguely sensible voice (whom I now know to be the sainted George, bless him) calling BO'C out on his incessant use of foul language for cheap laughs.

I don't get Mrs. Brown's Boys. At all. I appreciate that lots and lots of people do. It puzzles me.

But why in the name of god was almost a full Liveline (according to this thread) allowed to be given over to shameless and blatant promotion of this film. Did BO'C pay for the publicity? Because it sounds like he should have.

I feel like I'm coming to a point where I actually voluntarily will give up on Liveline. It's worse than the Sunday News of the World or Sun or Sport (or whatever tabloid is the absolute bottom of the barrell) at its worst.

It's a shame because on the very odd occasion (becoming odder all the time) he actually does manage to produce a good show with an interesting topic and gives people a forum to air their grievances/opinions and maybe shake things up a bit.

But today's show (or the 10 minutes I caught of it anyway) illustrates all that is WRONG with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Can I just say, that having read all the posts here today...

WE ARE ALL COLLECTIVELY OUTRAGED, JOE

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

There have been so many times where callers have gone off the beaten track and given golden nuggets of information not heard before giving Duffy an open goal on a topic and what does he do? he moves along unless it's the corpse of a hundred year old child driving a fire brigade around a model railway,,then he is all ears

then theres the callers he deliberately pushes off the discussed topic so he can get them onto a topic he wants to discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

If anyone wants to watch back on the BBC Player :D Brendan O'Carroll was on 'The One Show' earlier...pre watershed.

He's still not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,589 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If anyone wants to watch back on the BBC Player :D Brendan O'Carroll was on 'The One Show' earlier...pre watershed.

He's still not funny.

Thanks - but no thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,958 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

curioser wrote: »
    Only heard the beginning of today's show (thankfully, having read the thread) - maybe JD might like to know where BOC gets his material. Roy Chubby Brown was mentioned earlier. He wasn't the only English night club comedian he has plagiarised. Compare and contrast the following -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzbVhp7Ir74

now have a look at this from 5.26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4QqsfJlt0

Plagiarising Manning is just so... bankrupt.
    Still, it's not exactly new, and Manning likely stole it from someone else.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I feel like I'm coming to a point where I actually voluntarily will give up on Liveline.

Do it, come over the to the bright side, your blood pressure will thank you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just read the thread as I didn't listen yesterday. That said, I must have been channelling my inner psychic (a la Joe in Mrs Browinz Boyiz) when I wrote this on the "Fillum" forum last week:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90876076

Watched the trailer with a relatively open mind.looks awful.

I see Brendan was cute enough to give Joe Duffy a scene - that'll be about €500k he'll get in free advertising from Joe for the rest of the summer as Joe will plug it to death with his audience of coffin dodgers, and probably at least one whole show dedicated to the "fillum" on top of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Just listening to the Today show- topic is prolific use of swearing and refers to the BOC film mentioning the F word 30 times. The linguist being interviewed says BOC is so popular in the UK as the audience develops a superiority complex regarding the working class Irish.

The word in question is a Latin word meaning to violently penetrate.

Interesting to see if liveline will mention any if this later...

Joe has enough difficulty with English, think Latin might be a bit much for his Trinity educated brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

More free advertising for MBB on Today with Keelan.

Joe said in the promo that the movie is a tonic for us all in these recessionary times. He must think we're all eejits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm on me holidays Joe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No recession in her house Joe, I thought we were all on cornflakes and water these days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

No foo-id. I'd be raging if I had no foo-id.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

People like this are the reason I would never go back to the hellhole called Salut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

A bit irresponsible to be going away on holidays with feck all resources in an emergency , I suppose the community welfare officer can always send her a couple of grand on western union , just like at home.

maybe she should have stayed at home if she cant afford to go on holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Its a disgrace Joe. The Spanish don't speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hold on I came back from Majorca one year during a French strike we flew around France it took an extra hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Lapin wrote: »
    People like this are the reason I would never go back to the hellhole called Salut.

I Salut you.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Hang on, they tried to book an extra few days before this and couldn't. Would you stop spoofing missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Get your man with the Air Ambulance on again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,295 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Oops69 wrote: »
    A bit irresponsible to be going away on holidays with feck all resources in an emergency , I suppose the community welfare officer can always send her a couple of grand on western union , just like at home.

First stop when she gets back is the community welfare officer. Followed by the credit union. Followed by the local money lender.

fecking spanish not speaking english joe its a disgrace.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

How can you have no spare baby foo-id?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Bringing an 8 month-old baby on holidays.:eek:.......wtf.

Does she not get the planes have to come and start from somewhere, its not just that they are too cheap. ffs she is annoying me no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Um hello, the lack of foo-id is a medical issue!
    :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"And what happened that plane?"
    dropped the to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hey Joe,

How about asking her why she went off with an eight month baby old and a three year old child to a foreign country without making adequate provision for them in the case of emergency.

THIS IS NOT RYANAIR'S PROBLEM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Bringing an 8 month-old baby on holidays.:eek:.......wtf.
    And not bringing enough baby food aswell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

haha id say you droolers are loving this today!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

hello Joe ... hello hello ... this is a bit awkward Joe....
    if your stuck ringing Joe you may start walking to the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

This is a ridiculous topic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement