Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline Thread 27/03/14 to date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Women and Men have complete different interpretations of numbers, 5 mins is how long a woman will tell you it takes her to get ready
    5 mins is what a man will tell you he will be home in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I'm afraid I know a few people who are teachers and shouldn't be - they have no ability to impart knowledge or empathise with other adults, let alone the children. I think teachers, like other professions, should be examined/tested every 10 years of so - some are down right awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

AK333 wrote: »
    I like the cut of her Jib:)

Aim high I say

How did this sensible caller get by Joe's Preatorian Guard, (aka researchers)....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Forced to listen to Duffy in a taxi there, can't believe he had Gerald Kean on to discuss Moyes/Man Utd and then asked a stonemason did he do honours maths.

"Did you do Honours Maths?" will be the new "do you have Sky Sports?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    good question!

knowledge of a subject to a very high level does not equal an ability to impart said knowledge.

So true!

We have all heard of or known the geniuses (genii) teachers who
    were hopeless at imparting knowledge. It is not uncommon for many people who are brilliant at Maths and science to have Asperger Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Forced to listen to Duffy in a taxi there, can't believe he had Gerald Kean on to discuss Moyes/Man Utd and then asked a stonemason did he do honours maths.

"Did you do Honours Maths?" will be the new "do you have Sky Sports?"

You driving a taxi now Butters? Hope you have grown a moustache? well done well done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i keep thinking of that episode of the simpsons where lisa steals all the teachers answer books.

the fecking panic here at having to be good at maths now to get the job is hysterical.

:D:D

Yeah, they broke into your car for a pair of wellies :rolleyes:

Not just ANY wellies. 'Hunter' wellies!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Dump her Joe, shes too smart!

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    So true!

We have all heard of or known the geniuses (genii) teachers who
    were hopeless at imparting knowledge. It is not uncommon for many people who are brilliant at Maths and science to have Asperger Syndrome.

I actually know such a teacher - brilliant at maths but unfortunately lacking in communication skills :(

Perhaps its not the entry level that needs looking at, though I think they should aim high, but weed out inappropriate people at work experience level - perhaps the people marking the trainee teachers need to look at their criteria

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Such a sexist topic

Teaching is one of the better professions to have maternity leave in also..

"...what make me a good teacher......."', conceited or what?

JM Skipton wrote: »
    You driving a taxi now Butters? Hope you have grown a moustache? well done well done:D

Though I can be an awfully ignorant cünt at times, I have some way to go to reach taxi driver (or indeed Duffy) levels of pig ignorance, so unfortunately I can't get into the taxi game.....so to speak.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm such a good radio presenter because dot dot dot

Regular listeners will know Joe has the mathematical ability of a 3 year old so maybe that's why he's got a horn for this topic.

• Advertisement

Regular listeners will know Joe has the mathematical ability of a 3 year old so maybe that's why he's got a horn for this topic.

He must have improved lately.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,949 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Not just ANY wellies. 'Hunter' wellies!! ;)

Ah; green wans.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Joe realising hes on the wrong side of the argument.

AK333 wrote: »
    I actually know such a teacher - brilliant at maths but unfortunately lacking in communication skills :(

Perhaps its not the entry level that needs looking at, though I think they should aim high, but weed out inappropriate people at work experience level - perhaps the people marking the trainee teachers need to look at their criteria

The ability to communicate the knowledge is paramount in teaching. Whether or not a teaching student has this ability should be obvious to inspectors during observations at teaching practice.

The ability to communicate the knowledge is paramount in teaching. Whether or not a teaching student has this ability should be obvious to inspectors during observations at teaching practice.

Yep, but you have to have the knowledge first - then impart it IMO.

Not sure the inspectors are to be honest. Also, there are teachers in the same schools for 20 years or more, they have done the required inservice days training, but in all honesty, we have moved on and they should too.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine teaches junior infants. She says the most important skill she needs is the ability to toilet-train the kids!

Oh god. So embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Ok thank you mrs teacher we are way over time sorry to Derek mooney.

And as Joe rides his hobby horse into the sunset, the cactus waves him goodbye...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Heard something on the news this morning about poison in e cigs.

One of Joe's hobby horses of late.

I thought that €9.99 ad for Irish Rail took a bolliking yesterday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

is this going on all week?

is this going on all week?

Probably. It's cheap radio for Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lapin wrote: »
    Heard something on the news this morning about poison in e cigs.

I think it was actually poisoning from ecigs, such as kids drinking the fluid.

Teachers are worse than farmers for whinging and moaning.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think it was actually poisoning from ecigs, such as kids drinking the fluid.

Oh, well thats okay then. Didn't hear the full item. As long as Joe doesn't get them banned I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

just turned on. is this a teachers mammy ringing up coz her teacher child is being bullied in school

Joe trying to get the teachers fight amongst themselves. The Marys from Clontarf mustn't be ringing in on this topic.

This caller is a bit left field.

Joe's life threatened ????

I would say that death threats are a case apart and should be taken seriously and the perpetrator investigated / lose employment / court time, etc.
    Otoh, the normal rough and tumble of a Facebook page is just water off a duck's back really; but I suggest that dragging family members into it is just total bad taste and the mark of an idiot.

whats a letter belt?

caller throwing a hand grenade into the discussion

caller throwing a hand grenade into the discussion

Primed by Joe.

• Advertisement

FFS, caller, the psychos have mostly been weeded out or died off by now.

yeah that was in the day when teaching was masculine and a job carried out by real men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Any of us of a certain age remember this happening multiple times , where the hell did joe go to school ?

neris wrote: »
    yeah that was in the day when teaching was masculine and a job carried out by real men

True enough; it took a lot of guts to terrorise kids back then. Why, if you didn't walk into the classroom and immediately shoot one of them dead, the rest would kill you.

heard of a teacher in the 80s in the secondary school i went to for a few years climbing in a window and knocking the crap out of the 6th years with a hurl after they locked themselves in the building. he told another guy he knock his block off if the guy didnt stop messing in class

Most kids were also beaten by their parents in the 'good old days'......it was 'normal' at the time.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    heard of a teacher in the 80s in the secondary school i went to for a few years climbing in a window and knocking the crap out of the 6th years with a hurl after they locked themselves in the building. he told another guy he knock his block off if the guy didnt stop messing in class

Good for him.

i had the odd duster fired in my direction a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Firing a teacher?

Audience_BW_Comedy.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    True enough; it took a lot of guts to terrorise kids back then. Why, if you didn't walk into the classroom and immediately shoot one of them dead, the rest would kill you.

Is this a note you intended for David Moyes?

Get rid of him Joe, too much truth!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement