Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension to new home

Options
  • 26-03-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

We re in the process of buying a house which we plan on extending.

1) Just wondering can the planning application go in before purchase completed.

2) Can anyone recommend a builder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

harpsman wrote: »
    We re in the process of buying a house which we plan on extending.

1) Just wondering can the planning application go in before purchase completed.

2) Can anyone recommend a builder?

Yes, as a result of the frascati case anyone can apply for planning permission.

You need to give details as to where you are and what type extension you want. What I would recommend is getting an archetict. There's a huge difference between a box stuck on to the back of a house and an archetict designed extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

ted1 wrote: »
    Yes, as a result of the frascati case anyone can apply for planning permission.

You need to give details as to where you are and what type extension you want. What I would recommend is getting an archetict. There's a huge difference between a box stuck on to the back of a house and an archetict designed extension.
    Thanks Ted.
    I have actually engaged an architect-I was really just wondering about the planning to know if it was worthwhile keeping a bit of pressure on him timescale wise the plans are proceeding a little slowly.

Its a 2 storey side extension about 800 sq ft I suppose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

harpsman wrote: »
    Thanks Ted.
    I have actually engaged an architect-I was really just wondering about the planning to know if it was worthwhile keeping a bit of pressure on him timescale wise the plans are proceeding a little slowly.

Its a 2 storey side extension about 800 sq ft I suppose.
    going/waiting for actual planning may be a bit of a gamble. it may depend on what part of the country your in. ie a seller in Cork or Dublin may not wait on your planning. or the reverse may happen, you get planning and the seller ups the price of the property, as you have just added value, out of your own pocket..
    i would suggest you get a letter from the seller saying they agree to you approaching the local authority planning department. only approach with your architect, and tease out at 'pre-planning' whether an extension would be view positively by them (do avoid mentioning that you are not the owner if at all possible, as some local authorities may not want to comment for fear of be seen to be 'speculating' so to speak). most architects will be able to tell from local knowledge and precedence in the area what is possible and what is a stretch.

Advertisement