Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

neris wrote: »
    he made that food slot, he was great at doing it and so cool and personal in a way. i remember the last one he did and everyone thought he was pissed.

It was one of the few that I missed. I could have listened to that man all day and never get bored. He seemed like a lovely fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

So sorry to hear this news, just to subscribe to the podcast, it was great listening. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Sad to lose a lovely entertainer.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭sonic85

ah no. the food slot just hasn't been the same since Paulo stopped doing it. it hasn't been half as good. used to love listening to him.

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sad news always enjoyed the cooking slot with Paulo. Not the same slot at all with either of the three replacements. I suppose it shows the quality of Paulo that three others couldn't replace him. Hope the let the slot go altogether now, but thats for another night. Deepest condolences to his family and to Sean and the team. RIP Paulo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Paolo and his attempt to build a pizza oven kept me listening week after week, it's a shame to hear of his passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Sean Moncrieff retweeted

EDXJvOa1_bigger.jpgCaroline Clarke ‏@carolineclarke 4h4 hours ago
      .@SeanMoncrieff & I were honoured&blessed to work with a dear friend every week. Someone so young at heart. Always a wink & a total divil x
      24 retweets 105 favorites

[*]

[*]
      6adaf7e9921d5892f19bafc1b2fcd4ed_bigger.jpegSean Moncrieff ‏@SeanMoncrieff 4h4 hours ago
      .@carolineclarke and I devastated to hear of the death of @paolotullio He was a gentleman, a scholar, a thinker and a cook. He lived well.

Really sad news. RIP Paolo.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sad news indeed. I always enjoyed his slot with Sean. RIP.

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Very sad news. Really loved the interaction between Paolo and Sean on the food slot.

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think these two tweets help sum him up.

John in Cork has a turnip, a jar of olives and a packet of raskers, Dinner suggestions?" @paolotullio on @SeanMoncrieff always had a recipe

I especially loved those Thursdays when 25 minutes into the food slot @SeanMoncrieff would try to bring a little food into the conversation

4. Advertisement
    5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Very sad news. I loved his food slot. He was such an interesting character, you never knew where his anecdotes we're going to take you. He seemed to have lived a very full life.

6. Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like when he has Norris on, pity they don't have him on more often instead of that O'Doherty eejit.

7. Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

I stopped listening to him recently. Have found him to be increasingly condescending to those not of the same opinion as himself.

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I think Moncrieff is a very good presenter, apart from Funny Fridays id listen to Moncrieff

9. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

ghogie91 wrote: »
      I think Moncrieff is a very good presenter, apart from Funny Fridays id listen to Moncrieff

You enjoy funny friday on liveline:confused::eek:

10. Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Boobs :)

11. Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That's why I love the show, one minute he's talking about tits then after that it might be about some pivotal 18th Century figure who no one has heard of and then the current situation in Gaza after that.

There are very few presenters who can effortlessly change between such a broad range of topics and I dread the day he'll no longer be on air.

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

ghogie91 wrote: »

Zoiks! Friday Moncrieff is the best radio show of the whole week.

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sort of a Paolo's best bits on now.

Poor aul Paolo.

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Thanks. Wasn't a regular. Tuning in now.

15. Advertisement
    16. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ol' Donie wrote: »
      Sort of a Paolo's best bits on now.

Poor aul Paolo.

I was a bit sad during it but once they played that song I shed a little tear. Lasagne tonight as a tribute!

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

jesus christ, this contributor that is on now is not all there. she's scraping the barrel looking for an argument. picking out what mary mcaleese said in her letter about the poor kids in berkeley, she didn't take too well that the former president used the phrase 'brightest and best' in relation to J1 kids.
      apparently only kids from south co dublin can go on a J1 so the poor kids from anywhere else in the country can't be considered brightest and best.

what a fookin idiot.

18. Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

jesus christ, this contributor that is on now is not all there. she's scraping the barrel looking for an argument. picking out what mary mcaleese said in her letter about the poor kids in berkeley, she didn't take too well that the former president used the phrase 'brightest and best' in relation to J1 kids.
      apparently only kids from south co dublin can go on a J1 so the poor kids from anywhere else in the country can't be considered brightest and best.

what a fookin idiot.

Kitty Holland's comments were unbelievably crass. She accuses Mary McAleese of displaying a certain "prejudice" in her remarks, which is quite ironic because Kitty's own argument betrays a staggering prejudice against those she considers the privileged class (you know - that exalted 1% of the population that manages to get into college)

She's managed to twist McAleese well-meaning words into an argument about class, which would be pretty tasteless, even by New York Times standards.

It's hard to reconcile that degree of cynicism and callousness with someone who apparently has an abiding concern about social justice

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I see Tara Duggan finished with Newstalk yesterday Sean was singing her praises for standing in for him! ! I wonder what happened and where she is going to turn up next?

20. Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I see Tara Duggan finished with Newstalk yesterday Sean was singing her praises for standing in for him! ! I wonder what happened and where she is going to turn up next?

Sean said in a joking tone that Denis o'Brien wouldnt give her a pay rise. Not sure if he was being serious but maybe she went somewhere else for more money.

Talking of standing in for Sean, does anybody remember the guy who stood in for Sean for about a week last year? He was very good, i think he does or used to present a history or technology slot at weekends.

He was the best stand in for Sean that I remember

21. Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Is it Patrick Geoghegan that you are thinking of? I love his history show.

22. Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

honeybear wrote: »
      Is it Patrick Geoghegan that you are thinking of? I love his history show.

it was either him or Jonathan McCrea who does futureproof. Shame that someone like that isnt used as a stand in when they know in advance that Sean will be off

23. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i think it was jonathan mccrea. he was very good. he was the go to guy when fionn davenport disappeared off the scene.
      it's hard to find someone that suits the tone of the show, instead of trying to impose their own way on it

24. Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jerry O'Sullivan for me was probably the best person they had to fill in for Sean, I though he was a good interviewer and he wasn't too dry either, Davenport and McCrea were solid too, wouldn't mind if either of them do it next time Sean's away.

25. Advertisement
    26. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Jerry O'Sullivan for me was probably the best person they had to fill in for Sean, I though he was a good interviewer and he wasn' t too dry either, Davenport and McCrea were solid too, wouldn't mind if either of them do it next time Sean's away.

now that you mention it....

one of the funniest times on that show was when jerry was standing in and interviewing pj gallagher, who was talking about getting a wisdom tooth removed feeling like he was being shot in the face. just at that time, i was trying to lever a wisdom tooth out of a patient's mouth, and i burst myself laughing about a foot away from their face!

Advertisement