Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Perfect example was the 2 talentless DJs who moved from FM104 to RTE, terrible stuff, never met anyone who believed the strawberry alarm clock was funny , within a few months Jim-Jim was shown the door, of he went back to fm104, RTE held on to the other one (i reckon to save face for wasting money hiring them).
    Was there a bidding war for jim-jim? hell no, no one would want him.
    Fact is if any of the "talent" on irish radio was any good, the big players from the UK would have swooped in years ago to hire them.
    30k tops is what they are worth, if they don't want it off they can go, who would hire them? Only so many radio jobs in the country, no shortage of DJ's.

Huh?!!! I didn't ask for an example of something else you thought was rubbish. I asked if you think anyone broadcasting in Ireland (or elsewhere) today is worthy of a decent wage. If not, fair enough. Just trying to get an idea of where you're coming from. You clearly think Moncrieff is terrible... Who's so much better?

Also, again you seem to be laboring under the impression that Denis O'Brien, the country's most ruthless capitalist, is thoughtlessly lavishing treasures on his employees when he should be replacing them with some dudes on Job Bridge. What does it matter if he pays them 300K or 3c? It's his company... Wait....

Are YOU Denis O'Brien?!!

By the way, please don't invoke the names C&JJ in a Moncrieff thread ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If funny is all you want try youtube.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

jooksavage wrote: »
    Huh?!!! I didn't ask for an example of something else you thought was rubbish. I asked if you think anyone broadcasting in Ireland (or elsewhere) today is worthy of a decent wage. If not, fair enough. Just trying to get an idea of where you're coming from. You clearly think Moncrieff is terrible... Who's so much better?

Also, again you seem to be laboring under the impression that Denis O'Brien, the country's most ruthless capitalist, is thoughtlessly lavishing treasures on his employees when he should be replacing them with some dudes on Job Bridge. What does it matter if he pays them 300K or 3c? It's his company... Wait....

Are YOU Denis O'Brien?!!

By the way, please don't invoke the names C&JJ in a Moncrieff thread ever again.

My point is all the radio "Talent" in Ireland is over rated, DO'B owns loads of stations in this country, maybe he pays top dollar to keep them on side, a disgraceful lack of discussion on the airways about his actions. Many years ago Pat Kenny gave him a grilling on the Radio, what does he do? Hires him to keep him on side.
    Simple sign that a DJ is useless is plenty of Uaa, Ahh, Emm when they are talking, their brains are slow , they can't think fast, plenty of pauses in their talk.
    Sure why would you care if many think sean is dirt, are you his wife or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

My point is all the radio "Talent" in Ireland is over rated, DO'B owns loads of stations in this country, maybe he pays top dollar to keep them on side, a disgraceful lack of discussion on the airways about his actions. Many years ago Pat Kenny gave him a grilling on the Radio, what does he do? Hires him to keep him on side.
    Simple sign that a DJ is useless is plenty of Uaa, Ahh, Emm when they are talking, their brains are slow , they can't think fast, plenty of pauses in their talk.
    Sure why would you care if many think sean is dirt, are you his wife or something?

Honestly it seems like your more jealous of his income than Alything else.

I think he's pretty good and also pretty funny especially on the Friday shows.

Where did this 30k figure come from?

If Seans salary was reduced it would go straight in DOB's pocket, is he more deserving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

He's certainly the best value on Irish Radio at that time, for my money at least.

The show is a bit samey with the American kooks shtick, but he's clever, articulate and a very decent interviewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's going over your head by the sounds of it.
    Should stop listening maybe.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It should be pointed out that Moncrieff is a presenter, not a DJ. Two completely different things.

And anyone who expects presenters or DJ's not to stumble over their words should turn off the radio. It's not for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Sure why would you care if many think sean is dirt?

Just seems like a weird term to use against a radio presenter.

I'd suggest not getting so upset about it all.

I WISH! ... mmm...

I just can't figure out why Moncrieff, the antithesis of 99% of radio presenters in this country, has earned your scorn. Oh and you still haven't given us an example of a broadcaster worthy of the scandalous super-wages this current shower of duffers enjoy. The more you go on, the more intrigued I am as to what you actually enjoy listening to.

He's certainly the best value on Irish Radio at that time, for my money at least.

The show is a bit samey with the American kooks shtick, but he's clever, articulate and a very decent interviewer.

I agree. The show is far from perfect. Not as good as it used to be. They keep getting Ian "down the pub with my mates" O'Doherty and that non-entity Amanda Brunker on as opening guests. And Paolo is gone. And Henry isn't.

And it's still better than anything else in the afternoon (and most other times)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sean is going off on one again regarding the migrant situation again criticising any texter who disagrees with his liberal views!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Sean is going off on one again regarding the migrant situation again criticising any texter who disagrees with his liberal views!

And more will text in and complain and thus is salary is covered by texts;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah just tuned in after the news, he is a bloody disgrace, saying that anyone that disagreed with his views were into conspiracy theories, pointed this out when a caller said ISIS were sending killers in with the migrants, he said he was watching too many movies.
    The man has not got a clue what is going on in the world and its people like him and other lunatic left that will have Europe destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Suppose I'll post this here, since there ain't no Newstalk thread no more.

What the flying f*** was that Mini Hook ad I just heard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I generally like the show but it's extremely annoying when he mocks people who don't share his right on pc views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

today's show is descending into a car crash, fast.

texter says 'my daughter has to live in a mobile home because she can't get affordable accomodation. we need to look after our own'

sean: who are our own? we are all humans.

blah!! give it a rest sean, you know well what she meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I generally like the show but it's extremely annoying when he mocks people who don't share his right on pc views.

This. I really like Moncrieff but if he detects a texter disagrees even 1pc with the Dublin meeja consensus on issues, he rolls out the condescending, ah, sneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Why do people who dont want to accept Refugees always use the homeless as a defence? we can try helping both. Its the go to default answer every time. They even made an irish film about it years ago

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281665/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_26

Had Don Wycherley in it. I wonder if all these people who suddenly give a ****e about homeless people were doing anything last winter or were they using some other excuse "we shouldnt waste money on the homeless till we fix..................................."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I like presenters that have strong opinions.

Otherwise we'd have very bland broadcasting.

If I didn't like a conservative broadcaster , I wouldn't tune in. If you don't like his views, switch channel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I like presenters that have strong opinions.

Some people give out about Shane Coleman being bland and others give out about the likes of Moncrieff, Darcy and Hook etc being opinionated, can't win either way in fairness

Also some people seem to get pleasure from listening to someone they hate and then complaining about what they say on here, the Darcy thread is a fine example of it.

• Advertisement

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Why do people who dont want to accept Refugees always use the homeless as a defence? we can try helping both. Its the go to default answer every time. They even made an irish film about it years ago

Had Don Wycherley in it. I wonder if all these people who suddenly give a ****e about homeless people were doing anything last winter or were they using some other excuse "we shouldnt waste money on the homeless till we fix..................................."

....."the bleedin' water charges!"

Actually the Breakfast show did a vox pop around the time John Corrie died near Leinster house and more than one of the contributers opined water charges to be a more urgent issue than homelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I tend to agree with Sean on most things. To me, the texts that he takes the piss out are usually fairly offensive and deserve the treatment they get.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah, they usually come across as arseholes and it's funny when Sean puts them in their place, when someone makes their point in a less crude manner Sean is generally more respectful to them.

Vorenus400 wrote: »

homelessness wasn't a groovy subject last winter. when that poor guy died outside the dail, it was quickly pointed out that he had a house in his name already so it lifted the blame off everyone else.
    it's probably dropping out of the news lately too.

he should have read out some of the texts that really irked him, just so we have an idea what was being said. i got the feeling that there should have been 'technical difficulties' half way through so everyone could just calm down and start again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭styron

today's show is descending into a car crash, fast.

texter says 'my daughter has to live in a mobile home because she can't get affordable accomodation. we need to look after our own'

sean: who are our own? we are all humans.

blah!! give it a rest sean, you know well what she meant.

If you're purporting to quote Moncrieff - quote what he actually says, not what you wanted to hear:
    Who do you mean by 'our own'? Because we now live in a multicultural society. So that means all kinds of ethnic backgrounds, all sorts of colours, all sorts of religions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Who do you mean by 'our own'? Because we now live in a multicultural society. So that means all kinds of ethnic backgrounds, all sorts of colours, all sorts of religions.

This is the kind of smart Alex remark that really grinds my gears.
    Our own are Irish people whose father and grandfather were born here and go back generations, not some scammers who came in and had babies just to get citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I actually had my tweet read out by him I had asked him to ask his guest about the gulf/Saudi rich States had not taken in any Syrian refugees and that it shouldn't be a free for all into Europe. Sean basically took offence to my language use of "Free for all" and asked if I had a daughter would I want to settle in Saudi with their record on sex equaility.
    But very dismissive towards my very reasonable tweet!

I think for balance he should have Ian O'Doherty in to show some balance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

not some scammers who came in and had babies just to get citizenship.

Well, that kind of remark would tend to grind other peoples gears, including Sean I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I actually had my tweet read out by him I had asked him to ask his guest about the gulf/Saudi rich States had not taken in any Syrian refugees and that it shouldn't be a free for all into Europe. Sean basically took offence to my language use of "Free for all" and asked if I had a daughter would I want to settle in Saudi with their record on sex equaility.
    But very dismissive towards my very reasonable tweet!

I think for balance he should have Ian O'Doherty in to show some balance!

Ian O'Doherty isn't balance... he is bluster. Have thought out soundbites just 'edgy' enough to get him attention.

I was listening to the show though and I found his reaction to your tweet to be overly dismissive. I mean he clearly hopped on the phrase of 'free for all' as an excuse not to engage with the point. As for his comment on Saudi Arbia that was just cheap point scoring. The purpose of seeking asylum is temporary shelter away from the danger zone and you are supposed to go to the first safe country. Note safe, not desirable.

• Advertisement

styron wrote: »
    If you're purporting to quote Moncrieff - quote what he actually says, not what you wanted to hear:

still.... you know what was meant. now it's just splitting hairs.

there was also the texter who asked who was the only person that helped on the road to damascus... simon of syria..then complained about faux christians??
    simon of cyrene helped carry the cross in jerusalem. but yeah, we still know what was meant.

Advertisement