Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭sonic85

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Why do people who dont want to accept Refugees always use the homeless as a defence? we can try helping both. Its the go to default answer every time. They even made an irish film about it years ago

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281665/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_26

Had Don Wycherley in it. I wonder if all these people who suddenly give a ****e about homeless people were doing anything last winter or were they using some other excuse "we shouldnt waste money on the homeless till we fix..................................."

is it not the governments responsibility to sort out the homeless issue and lack of housing though? I mean isn't that what theyre getting paid to do - to work on behalf of the people to solve problems like these?

its just a cop out really putting the blame on ordinary people or individuals - "well why haven't YOU done something about the homeless or why don't YOU bring one home and put them up."

by all means bring in a thousand or so but the talk of multiple thousands is ridiculous really. id much prefer we put the time and money it will take to bring in 2 or 3 or 4 thousand migrants/refugees into helping people who are already here who badly need assistance.

anyway seans smart ass comments and responses put me right off today. I had to switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

sonic85 wrote: »
    is it not the governments responsibility to sort out the homeless issue and lack of housing though? I mean isn't that what theyre getting paid to do - to work on behalf of the people to solve problems like these?

its just a cop out really putting the blame on ordinary people or individuals - "well why haven't YOU done something about the homeless or why don't YOU bring one home and put them up."

by all means bring in a thousand or so but the talk of multiple thousands is ridiculous really. id much prefer we put the time and money it will take to bring in 2 or 3 or 4 thousand migrants/refugees into helping people who are already here who badly need assistance.

anyway seans smart ass comments and responses put me right off today. I had to switch over.

It's the framing of the argument that gets my goat: the idea that helping the homeless here and helping refugees is mutually exclusive and that the problems must be tackled sequentially, i.e. "Irish first". It sets one group against the other. The government spends money on all kinds of things and some of it is spent on bull****. Off the top of my head (and this is on example of many) towns down here in Tipperary recently got grants from the dept. of the Environment in spite of achieving lower score than other counties that had been deemed more worthy. Alan Kelly basically spent 1.5M to improve his election prospects. People got angry about this - but I don't remember anyone explicitly saying it would have been better spent on the homeless. What I'm saying is, if there was a real appetite to help the homeless here, why aren't we talking about the homeless problem EVERY-TIME we perceive the government misspending tax money and not just when the prospect of taking in refugees arises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭sonic85

jooksavage wrote: »
    It's the framing of the argument that gets my goat: the idea that helping the homeless here and helping refugees is mutually exclusive and that the problems must be tackled sequentially, i.e. "Irish first". It sets one group against the other. The government spends money on all kinds of things and some of it is spent on bull****. Off the top of my head (and this is on example of many) towns down here in Tipperary recently got grants from the dept. of the Environment in spite of achieving lower score than other counties that had been deemed more worthy. Alan Kelly basically spent 1.5M to improve his election prospects. People got angry about this - but I don't remember anyone explicitly saying it would have been better spent on the homeless. What I'm saying is, if there was a real appetite to help the homeless here, why aren't we talking about the homeless problem EVERY-TIME we perceive the government misspending tax money and not just when the prospect of taking in refugees arises?

But surely problems do have to be looked at sequentially as you put it when the resources arent there to tackle everything at the same time? I mean the issue of homelessness didnt just suddenly appear a week or two ago when the crisis in the Med escalated - its been around for years mainly since the economy went pop maybe even before. Ive heard charities, priests and politicians on tv and radio debating and highlighting the lack of housing available and the homeless but these issues do seem to have taken a back seat in recent times which kind of goes to show it pretty much is one or the other.

We just dont have the money to effectively solve all these issues. Maybe we could look at keeping some of the foreign aid we hand out and use those funds to properly set up a system here to look after genuine refugees? I dont know really. Its not a straightforward situation.

sonic85 wrote: »
    But surely problems do have to be looked at sequentially as you put it when the resources arent there to tackle everything at the same time? I mean the issue of homelessness didnt just suddenly appear a week or two ago when the crisis in the Med escalated - its been around for years mainly since the economy went pop maybe even before. Ive heard charities, priests and politicians on tv and radio debating and highlighting the lack of housing available and the homeless but these issues do seem to have taken a back seat in recent times which kind of goes to show it pretty much is one or the other.

We just dont have the money to effectively solve all these issues. Maybe we could look at keeping some of the foreign aid we hand out and use those funds to properly set up a system here to look after genuine refugees? I dont know really. Its not a straightforward situation.

I can feel a mod warning brewing for us as this probably isn't the thread for this and we've kind of gotten off the topic of Sean's alleged prickliness so I'll say my piece and stop.

In relation to the charities you mentioned, Alice Leahy from Trust was on Newstalk a few weeks ago and has said that a lot of the chronic homelessness here has more do with mental health, substance abuse and sociatal isses than it has to do with a lack of accommodation. Refugees and the Irish homeless aren't necessarily competing for the same resources. In fact, they're both competing against the bull**** clientalism and multitude of pet projects that every Minister, TD and country councillors of every political hue are getting funded to curry favour with their constituents. If we actually took responsibility for the vulnerable in our society instead of dispensing a few token morsels, it wouldn't be a case of "one or the other". I'd wager not a single sitting TD is worried that their lack of compassion for the refuggees or the homless Irish will cost them their seat - that's definitely on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

This has gone woefully off topic now, back to the show.

Just a note, I know Sean probably opened a can of worms on the topic and the first half an hour is usually based around current affairs but his show is far from a debate and current affairs show, I wouldn't tune in if it was so I never really take much stock in his comments as such, obviously when he is biting back at texters it doesn't help his cause.

He's just like anyone else and has chosen a side he believes is right and since there is no right or wrong the debate will rumble on, let's debate the show here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's really the dismissive tone he treats texters with who don't agree with his world view and basically labelling them idiots on air. I have to say at the end of the show he sounded very downbeat Caroline Clarke made a quip about good things to do tonight and she said "not read the texts that we got today" and Sean agreed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Less divisive opening chat today anyway......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Less divisive opening chat today anyway......

all we need is someone to text in saying that they don't trust those shifty looking protestants that have just moved in next door!!

no food slot again this week, and no mention of it.
    must be confined to the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

no food slot again this week, and no mention of it.
    must be confined to the past.

I would prefer it retired than have it go on as it is was the last few months.

It would be great if they tried to get someone like Marco pierre White. I thought I heard that he would be a critic on 'The Restaurant.' I realise he would be very pricey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jaysus, when I saw there was more replies to this thread, I thought it would be more giving out about his liberal leftie views :pac:

Yeah they should retire the food slot, when it was with Paolo, it was like listening to two fella's talk sh1te in a pub and they'd mention food sometimes as well, it's not the same without him.

I Googled that fella from Five, listening to him speak I honestly thought he was black, the lad is as white as a sheet.

Jaysus, when I saw there was more replies to this thread, I thought it would be more giving out about his liberal leftie views :pac:

Yeah they should retire the food slot, when it was with Paolo, it was like listening to two fella's talk sh1te in a pub and they'd mention food sometimes as well, it's not the same without him.

I Googled that fella from Five, listening to him speak I honestly thought he was black, the lad is as white as a sheet.

If they have retired that bit, it'd probably be for the best. Listening to his replacements just made Paolo's absence all the more sad.

Colm o'gorman in today. Will it be abortion or refugees??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Couldnt sleep and slapped on newstalk and caught the colm o gormon bit

Sweet Jesus talk about preaching to the converted. This was like fox news for "liberals" .

How the hell are you lot sticking such patronizing sacchirine PC bollocks ? I found it actually frightening in its extreme views . I've never heard two lads at complete odds with their audience. Least if the texts are anything to go by and GOD did the contempt for them shine through !

Didn't even last the full section as I refuse to insult my intelligence with such propagandist drivel anymore . Lord but the medias lost the plot on this one .

Stopping listening to Sean ages ago looks to have been the smartest thing I've done entertainment wise for years. Good luck to ya still listening. You've more patience than me .

Couldnt sleep and slapped on newstalk and caught the colm o gormon bit

Sweet Jesus talk about preaching to the converted. This was like fox news for "liberals" .

How the hell are you lot sticking such patronizing sacchirine PC bollocks ? I found it actually frightening in its extreme views . I've never heard two lads at complete odds with their audience. Least if the texts are anything to go by and GOD did the contempt for them shine through !

Didn't even last the full section as I refuse to insult my intelligence with such propagandist drivel anymore . Lord but the medias lost the plot on this one .

Stopping listening to Sean ages ago looks to have been the smartest thing I've done entertainment wise for years. Good luck to ya still listening. You've more patience than me .

I listen to Sean a lot and like him but that bit yesterday was as bad as I've heard from him, no objectivity and like you say contempt for anyone with a different point of view....

Some of those people who text in talk through their holes, I don't know how anyone can defend them on here.... :o

He put that person who texted in about Denis O'Brien in their place.

Listening to this fella talking now, Holy Jesus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

He put that person who texted in about Denis O'Brien in their place.

not at all, he always disingenuously dismisses these concerns by suggesting that the texter is saying that DOB personally visits Sean and tells him what to say. DOB wouldn't have to do that, workers in his 'empire' self-censor out of self-preservation

parasite wrote: »
    DOB wouldn't have to do that, workers in his 'empire' self-censor out of self-preservation

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

two words.

"sam" and "smyth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

parasite wrote: »
    not at all, he always disingenuously dismisses these concerns by suggesting that the texter is saying that DOB personally visits Sean and tells him what to say. DOB wouldn't have to do that, workers in his 'empire' self-censor out of self-preservation
    I'd imagine that's probably the truth of it alright. And there's always Sam Smyth's head on a spike outside, as an example to those who might think otherwise!

• Advertisement

No food slot today either, must be dropped for good so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

two words.

"sam" and "smyth"

And Gemma O Doherty.

And don't forget that the head of the N.U.J. said recently that DOB has full editorial say at INM.

Does that explain why Fionn Davenport disappeared off Newstalk pretty suddenly, what did he say about DOB and what did they do with him :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Does that explain why Fionn Davenport disappeared off Newstalk pretty suddenly, what did he say about DOB and what did they do with him :eek:

He didn't disappear suddenly.
    He was doing stand ins and pieces on Pat Kenny.
    He got a job with a national newspaper and I recently heard him on RTE.

Ah right, haven't heard him on Newstalk in a good while, was wondering where he went to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

For a while there it was either ads or Fionn on Newstalk.

Now Shane Coleman is the go-to guy for pretty much any holiday cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Not strictly about the show but seeing as the megathread's gone and she's the newsreader on the most during it, please for the love of God get Andrea Gilligan away from a microphone. Whoever's writing her reports is absolutely taking the piss

"The moyygrant croyysis was hoyyloyyted after loyynes of royyot police were overcome"
    "Revoyysed advertoyysing goyydloyynes for e-cigarettes"

Come back Tara Duggan, all is forgiven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

DuckStab wrote: »
    Not strictly about the show but seeing as the megathread's gone and she's the newsreader on the most during it, please for the love of God get Andrea Gilligan away from a microphone. Whoever's writing her reports is absolutely taking the piss

"The moyygrant croyysis was hoyyloyyted after loyynes of royyot police were overcome"
    "Revoyysed advertoyysing goyydloyynes for e-cigarettes"

Come back Tara Duggan, all is forgiven!

No I would never accept Tara back, her voice drives me crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Is that annoying Australian film critic on this week? Jesus wept I've yet to hear her actually like a film and her lack of general film knowledge is astounding....heard her the other week say that she was unaware that the Kray family were real and mentioned that the 90s film version starred the brothers from Aha.................(Sean corrected her). I once saw a film I didn't like - does that now qualify me to go on there as the film critic???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The wine expert hasn't a clue what she is on about :rolleyes:

Advertisement