Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I was sure that Tara Duggan had left newstalk? I remember her big going away announcement on this show. Sean joked/was semi serious that they werent paying her enough. Is she back or just for today. They need a better regular fill in for Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    They need a better regular fill in for Sean

Presenters don't be wanting relief that are too good, for obvious reasons...

Joe Duffy springs to mind, but bad example, as any replacement for him really is a "relief". Yes, even Damien O'Reilly, second most tedious person on the radio though he be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Presenters don't be wanting relief that are too good, for obvious reasons...

Joe Duffy springs to mind, but bad example, as any replacement for him really is a "relief". Yes, even Damien O'Reilly, second most tedious person on the radio though he be...

funnily enough, the second i heard tara duggan's name being mentioned, i moved the dial to liveline. first time listening to it in a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I was sure that Tara Duggan had left newstalk? I remember her big going away announcement on this show. Sean joked/was semi serious that they werent paying her enough. Is she back or just for today. They need a better regular fill in for Sean

She presented Global Village at the weekend as well.

funnily enough, the second i heard tara duggan's name being mentioned, i moved the dial to liveline. first time listening to it in a few years now.

Moved the opposite way, after the news. (Yes, even forewarned by this thread.) Now mainly thinking "nap".

• Advertisement

She presented Global Village at the weekend as well.

speaking of global village, there was some guy presenting it a few weeks ago talking to foreigners that were learning irish in dublin. i'd say Dil was fuming, she would've been reporting on how irish people were going to foreign language classes so that they definitely couldn't be labelled as racist!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah Jaysus, bring back Jerry O'Sullivan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah Jaysus, bring back Jerry O'Sullivan :(

I used to enjoy Jerry, he was suited to the show. The minute I heard Tara was going to present it I also switched onto Joe. Tara must be freelancing now I'd say she thinks she was wasted reading the news, I just hope she doesn't end up back full time on Newstalk!

She presented that show yesterday like a news bulletin !
    All clipped words and move on, move on! No empathy, no emotion, not really listening to people .

That's not the way it works with this show ....especially the slot for children's issues and the farming ! It was simply DIRE !

It's she's on today I'm off ;-(

Just heard Sean say that Tara will be doing the show on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

A pre-recorded or best of show would be much more preferable, though it wouldnt work with the promotions & competitions newstalk often has on

Just heard Sean say that Tara will be doing the show on Monday.

Thanks for the heads up, I'd say the reason he is off every few days is he has a book coming out, there was a 2 page spread on the indo today with him defending the "traveller" way of life, I can't say I'm surprised after the way he attacks texters who dare say anything that doesn't agree with his blinkered world view!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jaysus Snake, you've gotten fierce sour since he disagreed with that text of yours a while ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Astonishing - Tara Duggan sitting in all week and not too many posts.....perhaps her interview technique of asking the question and then not listening to the answer has put people off and no one is listening. Had Coleman in for Hook last night ask a question of Philip Molloy that Molloy had already covered 30 seconds before......jaysus I hope it isn't that aussie movie critic who doesn't like or know anything about movies and Jean Smullen on tomorrow's movies and booze. Not sure my radio could handle it!

robbe wrote: »
    Astonishing - Tara Duggan sitting in all week and not too many posts.....perhaps her interview technique of asking the question and then not listening to the answer has put people off and no one is listening. Had Coleman in for Hook last night ask a question of Philip Molloy that Molloy had already covered 30 seconds before......jaysus I hope it isn't that aussie movie critic who doesn't like or know anything about movies and Jean Smullen on tomorrow's movies and booze. Not sure my radio could handle it!

I caught the start of Tara Duggan and turned over. I am pretty sure she said Sean will be back tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

Tara duggan is possibly the most boring, drab, humourless and pc 'personality' on Irish radio. I'm sure she's good at reading the news and might be a good editor but I endured her show today and god help me it was pitiful. The "I'm not sure I like your tone" reply to a text that didn't conform to her liberal views being the lowlight.
    It must be said Sean himself has a tendency to castigate anything non Pc as well but surely to god they have a better stand in than her on a show that's meant to be lighthearted and FUN, both traits she is completely devoid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Like music to my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Doesn't look like Tara Duggan won many fans on here during the week. Well, we all got it wrong. At least according to Eilis O'Hanlon who reckons that "Duggan was more than a match for whatever was thrown at her"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/to-eat-or-not-eat-meat-that-is-the-question-34158924.html

i was about to text the show on friday to say i'd be looking forward to not hearing about the private life of the presenter any more, and then sean goes on about his daughters. oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

O'Doherty wasn't his usual obnoxious self yesterday.
    In fairness he came out with a great line once on the show. Topic was bloggers and Ian was on about a blogger who would turn up at a crime scene: "Let me through! I'm a citizen journalist!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

seachto7 wrote: »
    In fairness he came out with a great line once on the show. Topic was bloggers and Ian was on about a blogger who would turn up at a crime scene: "Let me through! I'm a citizen journalist!"

Knobhead citizen journalists aside, the lazy guff that O'Doherty dashes off in the Indo wouldn't be out of place on a rarely visited Blogspot account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Sherry me hole, unless its in trifle its pointless:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some really interesting topics on today's show. I'm going to try and source that footnotes in history book, it sounds fascinating.

Sean was really risking a lot making that gag about DOB :eek:

Was funny when that poo fella briskly got rid of his daughter and when Sean asked him 'did you lock her in a cupboard' :pac:

Some of the topics were grim but fascinating at the same time, there are very few shows that are informative and entertaining at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 grass_grower

Horse84 wrote: »
    Tara duggan is possibly the most boring, drab, humourless and pc 'personality' on Irish radio. I'm sure she's good at reading the news and might be a good editor but I endured her show today and god help me it was pitiful. The "I'm not sure I like your tone" reply to a text that didn't conform to her liberal views being the lowlight.
    It must be said Sean himself has a tendency to castigate anything non Pc as well but surely to god they have a better stand in than her on a show that's meant to be lighthearted and FUN, both traits she is completely devoid of.

being unequivocally PC is the only real qualification you need to get a job in journalism today

from collette browne to chris o donoghue , not having an unoriginal thought in your head is irrelevant

young people are so boring and conformist in their views today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

being unequivocally PC is the only real qualification you need to get a job in journalism today

from collette browne to chris o donoghue , not having an unoriginal thought in your head is irrelevant

young people are so boring and conformist in their views today

I've come to that conclusion myself. I'm all for tolerance and equality but conformity and group think are both bi products of this PC culture and they can be dangerous in their own right especially so in the media. The next generation of broadcasters are looking to be one bland group with not a character with an outspoken thought among them.

Ha Ha I knew Sean would get his knickers in a twist over texters giving out over his pinko views, he made out the first texter was racist when all he said was Muslim scum, a load of listeners texted in giving out that the texter never mentioned race and Sean was well out of order, he refused to back down and said we can all live in a police state if we want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Snake,

he was caught out pulling his usual trick of going for the low hanging fruit i.e. picking the worst tweets using them to represent the entire other side of the argument. Then he misrepresents that argument, putting it in the worst way possible, saying things that weren't actually said and then proceeds to demolish the strawman he created and expects everyone to bow down to his greater intellect. Because his argument is so correct and only racist neanderthals would disagree with him. Not only is this intellectually dishonest, it's sophistry at it's worst.

Then he gets miffed when people pointed out that the tweet didn't say what he pretends it did. So you could add drama queen to the list as well. ;)

I'm not the only person that thinks so, the comments on the journal article promoting his new book also call him out on this behaviour.

Ha Ha I knew Sean would get his knickers in a twist over texters giving out over his pinko views, he made out the first texter was racist when all he said was Muslim scum, a load of listeners texted in giving out that the texter never mentioned race and Sean was well out of order, he refused to back down and said we can all live in a police state if we want!
    "All he said was Muslim scum." Well, that's all right, then, work away!

If you can give me your copper-bottomed definition of a "race", and want to police all use of accusations of "racism" on that basis, then good luck to you. Meanwhile I hear people use the notion much more loosely than that ("We're a hardy race in East Galway!"). And, well, you can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Why did they change the TV review guy? Laurence Mackin was excellent, the new one isn't great.

Advertisement