Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just wondering, what does everyone else listen to while moncrieff is talking utter bollox? i'm thinking of finding something else for a while. it's all getting a bit weary lately.
    maybe Christmas FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its the one newstalk program I hate. I stay tuned when he's on holidays.
    Apart from his crassness, its his voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

just wondering, what does everyone else listen to while moncrieff is talking utter bollox? i'm thinking of finding something else for a while. it's all getting a bit weary lately.
    maybe Christmas FM

I don't know, he's not for everyone I guess. I quite like his show. Even the bad ones generally have one or two genuinely interesting guests. The show is definitely not as wearisome as most other radio stations at that time of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What happened to the other producer who used to do good things to do tonight? She went off had a kid came back beard doing the segment but sounded kind of depressed and haven't heard of her since (sorry forgot her name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

What happened to the other producer who used to do good things to do tonight? She went off had a kid came back beard doing the segment but sounded kind of depressed and haven't heard of her since (sorry forgot her name)

Annette Freeman? Maternity leave - I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That chat about Asexuality was interesting.

Was funny when he read out a text from some fella boasting about having sex asking 'what group do I belong to?' and his response being 'you belong to a group of playa's.....or total liars' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Annette Freeman? Maternity leave - I think.

And Caroline Clarke (the other producer) is pregnant too so soon there will be noone to talk about good things to do tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Its the one newstalk program I hate. I stay tuned when he's on holidays.
    Apart from his crassness, its his voice!

...and the cackle!

That chat about Asexuality was interesting.

Was funny when he read out a text from some fella boasting about having sex asking 'what group do I belong to?' and his response being 'you belong to a group of playa's.....or total liars' :pac:

i've said it before, but it's really the texters that make that show funny, usually by slagging off the contributors in a light hearted way. but over the past few months, his own humour seems to have taken a break, and only crap he agrees with has the potential to be funny. everyone else may as well be arguing with global village.

that text above would have been better received a few months ago, but since there's a sniff of the whole 'what do you call a guy who sleeps about and a girl who sleeps about' debate in it, he had to shoot it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

i've said it before, but it's really the texters that make that show funny, usually by slagging off the contributors in a light hearted way. but over the past few months, his own humour seems to have taken a break, and only crap he agrees with has the potential to be funny. everyone else may as well be arguing with global village.

that text above would have been better received a few months ago, but since there's a sniff of the whole 'what do you call a guy who sleeps about and a girl who sleeps about' debate in it, he had to shoot it down.

Can't say I've noticed a change. I still think he is one of the most talented radio presenters we have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah I haven't noticed any change either, he would have mocked that texter the same way if he got any time in the last few years, the lad was just texting in as an excuse to boast so he deserved it.

Another gag about DOB :eek:

He really is tempting fate at this stage

Love him !!!! He is a breath of fresh air. Love the randomness of his topics , not the stuff every other show is covering . Plus he is a good listener and does not interrupt . His slot on children's problems is excellent and I like Movies & Booze.

If you really want boring, bland, repetitive you could always switch to Ray D'arcy??

Love him !!!! He is a breath of fresh air. Love the randomness of his topics , not the stuff every other show is covering . Plus he is a good listener and does not interrupt . His slot on children's problems is excellent and I like Movies & Booze.

If you really want boring, bland, repetitive you could always switch to Ray D'arcy??

why do you think someone really wants boring, bland and repetitive radio? his show in the past few months has almost become a radio version of the shyte articles on the daily edge that david elkin somehow passes as journalism.

i've been listening to the show since 2009, and he's become really friggin cynical in the past while with anyone texter who challenges him. it's just getting nasty lately. when george hook puts a texter down, you can laugh because it's george hook, but sometimes with moncreiff, i'm thinking there's no need for that venom.

take movies and booze. it's only really good when it's martin moran or dean mcguinness. send in a text saying that, and you'll probably get called a misogynist because the other wine reviewer is female. she's just boring, like the guy from the business post who's on the odd time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose it has gone a bit stale recently, maybe the whole format of the show needs a revamp. Not much has changed in the 6 years or so since I've been listening.

In regards to Sean I agree that he's become quite narky over the past while, he seems to revel in bashing texters who don't subscribe to his worldwide.

That said I do like him as a presenter and an interviewer, he asks the questions I want to hear and has a nice flow to his style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Moncrieff isn't perfect by any means, but he's by far the best talk-radio 'light entertainment' presenter working in Ireland: well-informed and funny, with a generally excellent research team. The show could use a revamp after what is it, more than 5 years now, but that's true of every show. Some fresh ideas is all that's needed, nothing significant wrong with Sean himself... at least when compared to the competition.

I do miss poor Paolo, though - when I was unemployed and home looking after the kids, the no-nonsense simplicity and enthusiasm of his segment practically taught me to cook. There were no more heartening words to hear than 'and if you don't have that, you could throw in a bit of X or Y, it'll still be lovely...' - and it was!

Don't know where people are getting this perception that he is getting more contrary with texters, as long as I'm listening to the show he has always given out to people who text in pure guff, that hasn't changed, ironically the only change I have noticed is on here where people seem to be giving out about him more.

Don't think it's going stale either, the topics they had yesterday were very interesting, the reason I think it's a great show is because the guests are always interesting and Sean gets the most out of them.

I like to think I'm pretty right on, politically. Until Kitty Holland comes on. And suddenly I feel the reactionary, hippy-kicking conservative well up inside me. This is why I don't read the Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

jooksavage wrote: »
    I like to think I'm pretty right on, politically. Until Kitty Holland comes on. And suddenly I feel the reactionary, hippy-kicking conservative well up inside me. This is why I don't read the Times.

What was she moaning about today? I'm sure Sean was in his element!

What was she moaning about today? I'm sure Sean was in his element!

Traveler accommodation and the lack of secular schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Heard her too and the poor travellers routine on again.in my local area a few yrs ago the local town council wasted money on buying a bungalow for a traveller family.the had it destroyed and boarded up within 6 months and caravans all around it living in them instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Yes and if you didn't agree wholeheartedly you're a "racist".

The story about that fella on Death Row was fairly grim stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just turned it on today - is it some sort of special Movies & Booze with extra people on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just turned it on today - is it some sort of special Movies & Booze with extra people on it?
    He was doing an OB from somewhere - don't know where, so he might have had an extra guest or two ...

If you just tuned in, then you missed the story earlier about the woman who made bread using her own yeast - harvested (using a toy, she helpfully told us) from when she had thrush.

So gross, I had to turn off ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

serfboard wrote: »
    He was doing an OB from somewhere - don't know where, so he might have had an extra guest or two ...

If you just tuned in, then you missed the story earlier about the woman who made bread using her own yeast - harvested (using a toy, she helpfully told us) from when she had thrush.

So gross, I had to turn off ...

F***in what the f***??

Excuse me for that outburst. But really, what the f***?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    F***in what the f***??

Excuse me for that outburst. But really, what the f***?!
    I know. I think I can honestly say it was the worst segment I've heard on that show. Scraping the barrel, IMO. Was there really nothing else they could have covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Felt a slight gag reflex even reading that.

I'm glad I wasn't listening today.

I know. I think I can honestly say it was the worst segment I've heard on that show. Scraping the barrel, IMO. Was there really nothing else they could have covered?

I saw a headline for this somewhere a few days ago and that was enough to sicken me. I can't believe they felt the need to wheel out this freakshow s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Scraping the barrel, IMO.

Good analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Lighten up lads. It's only a bit of fun. Not the first fruit cake they've interviewed and it won't be the last. Nor was out their first foray into segments about women using their *ahem* cultures in cooking! They had one from the states in before who made yoghurt... Say no more ;) Enjoy yizzers dinners

Advertisement