Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

They had one from the states in before who made yoghurt... Say no more ;) Enjoy yizzers dinners

I remember her alright, but there was as difference....she didn't eat the yogurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Lighten up lads. It's only a bit of fun. Not the first fruit cake they've interviewed and it won't be the last. Nor was out their first foray into segments about women using their *ahem* cultures in cooking! They had one from the states in before who made yoghurt... Say no more ;) Enjoy yizzers dinners

I like Moncrieff but to be honest I found that segment to be both shocking and dull all at once. Shocking because of the content and dull because its been done before and I don't particularly enjoy when Sean indulges obvious attention seekers. He is great when he interviews interesting people with genuinely captivitating knowledge or takes on topics, not so much when its 'oh you made ice cream out of your poo and now you want the world to know'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Lighten up lads. It's only a bit of fun. Not the first fruit cake they've interviewed and it won't be the last. Nor was out their first foray into segments about women using their *ahem* cultures in cooking! They had one from the states in before who made yoghurt... Say no more ;) Enjoy yizzers dinners

I like Moncrieff but to be honest I found that segment to be both shocking and dull all at once. Shocking because of the content and dull because its been done before and I don't particularly enjoy when Sean indulges obvious attention seekers. He is great when he interviews interesting people with genuinely captivating knowledge or takes on topics, not so much when its 'oh you made ice cream out of your poo and now you want the world to know'. It all seems a bit contrived and repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

serfboard wrote: »
    He was doing an OB from somewhere - don't know where, so he might have had an extra guest or two ...

If you just tuned in, then you missed the story earlier about the woman who made bread using her own yeast - harvested (using a toy, she helpfully told us) from when she had thrush.

So gross, I had to turn off ...

Surely that would be the definition of a Cock flavoured lollipop!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

I wonder is he ever really serious- but his show can be a laugh now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

As much as I like the show, I'm getting a bit weary of what's becoming a daily segment : "Sean vs. Texters"

jooksavage wrote: »
    As much as I like the show, I'm getting a bit weary of what's becoming a daily segment : "Sean vs. Texters"

It's always been like this, it's nothing new and since I tend to agree with Sean it doesn't bother me in the least. I find people constantly harping on about it on here much more annoying tbh. It's what he does and on the whole I find his put downs to be quite entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

He doesn't half come across as condescending with the texts alright. Someone should tell Sean that people sometimes have different opinions than him.

And am I just unlucky, because I seem to always catch the feminism slot. Honestly, you'd think we were living in Saudi Arabia they way him and his female guest go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    It's always been like this, it's nothing new and since I tend to agree with Sean it doesn't bother me in the least. I find people constantly harping on about it on here much more annoying tbh. It's what he does and on the whole I find his put downs to be quite entertaining.

Disagree. I don't think it was always like this. I used to tune in everyday until about 3 years ago. Now I only hear it when I'm out of the office. He was always capable of funny put-downs every now and again but whenever i tune in now he seems to be telling texters off. Granted, many of the texts are completely bone-headed but why can't he just ignore them? I'd prefer hearing him interview an interesting guest than listen to him talking down to texters.

Disagree. I don't think it was always like this. I used to tune in everyday until about 3 years ago. Now I only hear it when I'm out of the office. He was always capable of funny put-downs every now and again but whenever i tune in now he seems to be telling texters off. Granted, many of the texts are completely bone-headed but why can't he just ignore them? I'd prefer hearing him interview an interesting guest than listen to him talking down to texters.

It's been more prevalent over the past few weeks mostly because of the refugee crisis being so high on the news agenda and it's a topic that tends to attract bone-headed texts. Leaving aside this issue, is he really being more confrontational with texters than he used to be? I don't think so. I having been listening to him for years as well, I really haven't notice a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What were the texters being put down about today then? I was going to turn on the radio and decided not to sounds like I made the right choice!

What were the texters being put down about today then? I was going to turn on the radio and decided not to sounds like I made the right choice!

Oh, just the usual idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Moncrieff on Christmas Eve is the best radio of the year, in my book.

Very much looking forward to it.

He was extremely rude to the tinder lady he kept interrupting her because he could hear background noise! I tweeted him saying as much he would really want to be a bit more professional rather then belittling guests he has little interest in!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Christ. If you don't like the show then move the dial! Haters gonna hate 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

You may want to read this.
    "Off-topic" posts may be edited (to remove off-topic content) or deleted by moderators at their discretion. Offenders may be infracted or banned depending on the severity of the offense. Posts and threads considered off-topic include (but are not restricted to):
    • those which deviate substantially from the original topic of the thread
    • those of the “if you don’t like it, change the channel” variety

serfboard wrote: »
    You may want to read this.

I stand corrected.... :cool:
    I'll get my coat

I'm sorry are you part of Sean's Newstalk team? Anyone who heard that interview today would have to agree he was very irritated by some noise he heard in the background because the lady was using Skype he could pick up random background noises including a train. If he doesn't want these kind of guests on the show he should have a word with his production team. And btw I do change the channel more often now as he seems to be able to attack guests and attack listeners when he feels like it, and push his own agenda!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If people didn't listen to presenters they hate, then they'd have nothing to whinge about :pac:

I'm sorry are you part of Sean's Newstalk team? Anyone who heard that interview today would have to agree he was very irritated by some noise he heard in the background because the lady was using Skype he could pick up random background noises including a train. If he doesn't want these kind of guests on the show he should have a word with his production team. And btw I do change the channel more often now as he seems to be able to attack guests and attack listeners when he feels like it, and push his own agenda!

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. No I don't work for them by the way. :rolleyes:

I don't think that any radio show host is perfect but I also don't think that there is another host on radio at the moment that is able to do what Moncrieff does. There is obviously a strong production team behind him but in spite of this the show is only ever good when he is at the helm. Any time he is being covered by another presenter it just doesn't work.

Personally I think his sense of humour (or more accurately his wit) is on the ball and I always enjoy his acerbic put downs to texters and interviewees - particularly those American's who don't actually get that they are on the receiving end of it!

As for the topic choices, they do tend to vary from the irreverent to the downright silly but there are many weekly slots including the farming slot and history slot that are always interesting. Henry McKean's vox pops also never fail to make me smile!

Given the time slot I really don't know what other show I could listen to. I can't stomach Ray D'arcy and Moany Joe on Radio is practically a caricature at this stage.

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement

And that's the problem with Sean he has gotten too cocky and less tolerant towards listeners opinions and guests think the production team is weak and my God There is only so much you can stand of Henry McKeen interviewing junkies outside methadone clinics! You still get some interesting piece like the story of the girl raised by Native American Indians from yesterday but they are few and far between.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That Stuff That Changed The World segment is excellent, never knew Martin Luther was the first person to light a Christmas tree.

It's mental to think about some of the laws still in existence up till a few years ago, that one about the Kings of France could show up claiming the land here sounded mental, good thing they got rid of it or we could have been in serious trouble.

I'd forgotten about that chat with that mine worker, brilliant interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

I wonder if the DDOS attack was an attempt not to have any negative comments about this weeks Moncrieff........had the misfortune to listen to the segment earlier in the week where a panel of 'personalities' gave 'advice' about personal issues....sweet merciful jesus is all I can say. Seek it out and prepare to crash the car/kick the cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

robbe wrote: »
    I wonder if the DDOS attack was an attempt not to have any negative comments about this weeks Moncrieff........had the misfortune to listen to the segment earlier in the week where a panel of 'personalities' gave 'advice' about personal issues....sweet merciful jesus is all I can say. Seek it out and prepare to crash the car/kick the cat!

Think Sean is off this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

honeybear wrote: »

Yeah, Tara is in for him. I can't listen to her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

honeybear wrote: »

Heard that Monday and the heart sank...find Tara's voice grates and it was interesting to hear her with David Carey the other day - he was pretty firm with her when she was countering a recommendation he made. Can't wait for a potential Movies and booze with Tara, Jean Smullen the the aussie movie reviewer who hates movies................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

ElleEm wrote: »
    Yeah, Tara is in for him. I can't listen to her!

Tara presents the show like she reads the news.

She is improving tho. She was a lot worse when she started !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You can't learn how to become a radio personality, it has to come innately from the person in question. Sean has this completely, he's so comfortable behind the mic. Born for radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Thank God she is gone, I couldn't even enjoy Movies and Booze yesterday !!
    Sean does get a bit over sarcastic with some of his replies to txt messages.
    I still enjoy the show though sometimes the stories are a bit bizarre...

Advertisement