Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Big Girls fan are we ?

If a tv show is ****e he's dead right to say it's ****e.

No, just because I said he was a negative prick doesn't mean I like the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No, just because I said he was a negative prick doesn't mean I like the show.

Ah, a 'Boardwalk Empire' fan so...

Joking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They are still persisting with that stupid agony aunt slot.

I hate having to turn it off for that half hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

They are still persisting with that stupid agony aunt slot.

I hate having to turn it off for that half hour.

Heard it for the first time today, actually. Enjoyed it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard it for the first time today, actually. Enjoyed it!

I find your one incredibly annoying.

Enjoyed the piece on the Love Ulster Parade, especially Henry's report from the scene, he'd make a great war correspondent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

noooooo!!! not tara on a friday without prior warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I detest Sean. His voice goes through me.
    Give me Tara any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    noooooo!!! not tara on a friday without prior warning.

Double nooo! It's Mr. Smug himself, Ian O'Doherty as first guest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

jooksavage wrote: »
    Double nooo! It's Mr. Smug himself, Ian O'Doherty as first guest!

I think Ian Doherty is the ultimate hipster, he likes the things that other people dont. Hes so cool:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

First Tara and now something about the Anus..turn off time..back on for movies and booze though !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I love the way social media goes into meltdown when Ian O'Doherty is on, and it's nearly always from woman, and nearly always from proper lefties.

They won't be happy until the media is only representing one point of view, which is their left wing view of the world.

If you look back at the ssm referendum, the minute anyone came on radio or tv who was slightly opposed to it, the same craw thumpers went into a tizzy about it, but if someone complains about their point of view, they don't get what the problem is.

I do not want to have a media or in this case, radio, only giving off one point of view, a liberal leftie point of view on everything.

All sides should be allowed their opinions, no matter how mad. It's then up to the people to dismantle them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    I think Ian Doherty is the ultimate hipster, he likes the things that other people dont. Hes so cool:D

It's not about being a hipster, it's about being a reactionary prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

seachto7 wrote: »
    I love the way social media goes into meltdown when Ian O'Doherty is on, and it's nearly always from woman, and nearly always from proper lefties.

They won't be happy until the media is only representing one point of view, which is their left wing view of the world.

If you look back at the ssm referendum, the minute anyone came on radio or tv who was slightly opposed to it, the same craw thumpers went into a tizzy about it, but if someone complains about their point of view, they don't get what the problem is.

I do not want to have a media or in this case, radio, only giving off one point of view, a liberal leftie point of view on everything.

All sides should be allowed their opinions, no matter how mad. It's then up to the people to dismantle them!

It's not his politics I have a problem with (its hard to have much of an opinion on something as shallow as the guff he's ripping off the libertarian threads on Reddit anyway) - it's the smarminess. That "look at the women and looney left" stuff actually lets him off the hook and makes him think it's his politics that make people dislike him. No, it's because he's obnoxious, smug tool.

jooksavage wrote: »
    It's not his politics I have a problem with (its hard to have much of an opinion on something as shallow as the guff he's ripping off the libertarian threads on Reddit anyway) - it's the smarminess. That "look at the women and looney left" stuff actually let's him off the hook and makes him think it's his politics that make people dislike him. No, it's because he's obnoxious, smug tool.

Exactly the problem I have with him as well. It's not his politics, which is every bit as wooly as the people he's giving out about, it's that exasperated sneer of his that sends me over the edge. The most punchable voice on the planet. And that newspaper column of his. Absolute drivel. I've no problem with differing opinions - live and let live I say - but when you're presented with someone whose default is contempt - fook that ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Oh yeah, he's smug, and I don't agree with 90% of what he says. But there's a creeping trend, on social media anyhow, or tearing into anyone veering towards the right. e.g. Jack Chambers the other night, no matter how mad his ideas are...

seachto7 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, he's smug, and I don't agree with 90% of what he says. But there's a creeping trend, on social media anyhow, or tearing into anyone veering towards the right. e.g. Jack Chambers the other night, no matter how mad his ideas are...

I don't engage with Twitter so I missed out on all Jack Chambers stuff. It makes my life immeasurably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

People with "mad"/stupid opinions deserve to be ridiculed, especially if they're public figures or elected representatives in a country that's only just throwing off the yoke of social conservatism. Not sure what you're complaining about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Exactly the problem I have with him as well. It's not his politics, which is every bit as wooly as the people he's giving out about, it's that exasperated sneer of his that sends me over the edge. The most punchable voice on the planet.

That tone in his voice is what gets to me every time too. It's way beyond smugness.

It really annoys me how tetchy Sean gets when someone across the world greets him with 'Good Morning'. Get TF over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

Great show with some amazing random topics on it but his constant use of 'crikey' drives me insane!!
    I'd blurt out the odd 'feck', 'jesus', 'christ' and I'm wishing he would let it out instead of 'crikey'... Anyhoo, he's a good laugh

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    It really annoys me how tetchy Sean gets when someone across the world greets him with 'Good Morning'. Get TF over it.

Yeah, it makes no sense at all and I think it must be an awful impression for people being interviewed. It's strange considering how good he is at asking the right questions the rest of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah, it's the one thing he does that I think is a bit snarky.

He really does seem in bad form today, mind you.

History with Graham Finlay is easily one of the best segments on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

History with Graham Finlay is easily one of the best segments on radio.

That and the parenting bit with David Carey. I really like that segment even before I had kids. There is something very lovely about David's voice.

Yeah, it makes no sense at all and I think it must be an awful impression for people being interviewed. It's strange considering how good he is at asking the right questions the rest of the time.

If I was the interwiee I'd be of a mind to tell him to fxuk off and hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wonder has that ever happened?

Edit: Actually just thinking about this and I recall Kevin Myers hanging up on the lunchtime show back in 2011. He was on to talk about the Queen's upcoming visit to Ireland, I can't remember the exact details but I think there was something about the intro they played prior to his interview that seriously ticked him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Melodeon

His standard response of "Not too bad." to the polite and cheery "How are you?" from someone in another country always strike me as somewhat inconsiderate. We Irish listeners know the turn of phrase and that it doesn't actually mean anything in particular, but it's very confusing for people who aren't familiar with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

Not quite the same but I remember one interviewee, yet another American author, hanging up on him because he'd just gotten another call from a 'more important' American station. Sean was rightly pee'd off then, bitching about how they'd booked him days in advance, but I remember laughing out loud as the American lad politely and directly just said 'i apologise, I've just had a more important call, I have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

He was overtly rude to the lady interviewee in the 'phone for women' segement. Yes she said 'good morning from Seattle' but it very clearly was meant in a friendly 'ice-breaker' manner, she even did the cordial half-laugh after. His tone with her was sharp, inpatient and dismissing. I was a little shocked actually with the rudeness of his 'can you answer the question you were asked' comment. I'd have been extremely tempted to call him up on it live on air if I was the subject. You are a light entertainment show; talking to someone who isn't prepared for it, like its hard talk with Paxman is a joke. And a bad one at that.

• Advertisement

He was overtly rude to the lady interviewee in the 'phone for women' segement. Yes she said 'good morning from Seattle' but it very clearly was meant in a friendly 'ice-breaker' manner, she even did the cordial half-laugh after. His tone with her was sharp, inpatient and dismissing. I was a little shocked actually with the rudeness of his 'can you answer the question you were asked' comment. I'd have been extremely tempted to call him up on it live on air if I was the subject. You are a light entertainment show; talking to someone who isn't prepared for it, like its hard talk with Paxman is a joke. And a bad one at that.

That's exactly the incident that ticked me off.

Advertisement