Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Birneybau wrote: »
    That's exactly the incident that ticked me off.

Yeah, tbf it was very jarring and not something I've really heard from him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

History with Graham Finlay is easily one of the best segments on radio.

Goddammit, I keep missing that segment, and there's something seriously wrong with the Newstalk site whenever I try to access the Podcasts and Listen Back sections. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Patser wrote: »
    Not quite the same but I remember one interviewee, yet another American author, hanging up on him because he'd just gotten another call from a 'more important' American station. Sean was rightly pee'd off then, bitching about how they'd booked him days in advance, but I remember laughing out loud as the American lad politely and directly just said 'i apologise, I've just had a more important call, I have to go.

I was an infrequent listener then, his "eh, eh-ing" was really off putting, but I heard that exchange. He was peeved alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Birneybau wrote: »
    That's exactly the incident that ticked me off.

He does get overly tetchy with the good morning comments alright. That particular one actually wasn't answering the question though. Even when he asked it again she just rambled on about the shape of the phone and not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

He does get overly tetchy with the good morning comments alright. That particular one actually wasn't answering the question though. Even when he asked it again she just rambled on about the shape of the phone and not much else.

That's being kind. The rambling was so aimless-seeming that I honestly couldn't tell what it was about. Until he managed to sum it up, and I googled the name of product, it was entirely opaque what exact shape she was describing -- or, trying hard not to describe, it seemed.

It's possibly understandable that when one's idea is as slight as "it's a phone, but it's round, like a makeup compact!" -- not to mention as shockingly regressive as "girlie-looking things for girlie people!" -- one'd find oneself waffling rather than just coming right out and saying as much, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I've said this before, but ... as Sean's show is on for 3 hours a day, I can get over a few "tetchy" remarks. I like listening to the variety of topics discussed. I don't know what wage he is getting but, when you hear the RTE wages per programme ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I love the show but the amount of times recently I have had to turn it off because he is discussing bodily functions or gross subjects is getting annoying. I'm eating right now and he's talking about toilet paper and how people in the states wiped their arse with corn husks.

Sean I'm not interested in graphic discussions of bodily functions during the day, or anytime for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

It's rare enough that I tune in to Seán, I used to listen a lot, but college commutes have muddled up my listening schedules...

But, I'd say that out of the last 10 times I've tuned in, it's been Tara Duggan at least 50% of the time. Coincidence, or has he been taking a lot of time off recently?

I didn't really mind her to start with, but I find a couple of things are put me off listening to her. She 'ems' and 'ums' quite a bit, but also breaths in really loudly. Kind of Matt Bellamy from Muse levels. Very distracting, which is unfortunate.

There was also a moment today, she was interviewing a man who was talking about how we've mis-interpreted the Bible in certain ways. He mentioned that the idea of the 'Virgin' Mary comes from a mistranslation of the term 'young woman' (or something like that). He said that back then, this wasn't considered a big deal, as the terms were interchangeable, and that the terminology only began to matter once she was a 'pregnant Virgin.'

Tara jumped at the opportunity to mention how the Catholic church has oppressed women in Ireland with disgusting cruelty, and that it certainly was a big deal. In fairness to him, he calmly explained once again, what he had just said. I mean, ffs, listen to your guests Tara.

I know it's a light enough show, but that annoys me. But sure **** it I suppose, so what, I get annoyed at tea-towels left on the counter. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Agree she grates on me, I thought we had seen the last of her when she left Newstalk but she was on with that auld lad from hot press and waffling on, I switch off before the bible chap came on as I couldn't stand listening to her horrible voice and inept interview style!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm repeating myself here but bring back Jerry O'Sullivan, he was the only stand-in who was a good interviewer and was able to take the piss, Duggan sounds like she has a gun pressed against her head at all times, she's painful to listen to

• Advertisement

I'm repeating myself here but bring back Jerry O'Sullivan, he was the only stand-in who was a good interviewer and was able to take the piss, Duggan sounds like she has a gun pressed against her head at all times, she's painful to listen to

I remember Jerry but didn't he move back home and got a job in regional radio?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah he's presenting the morning show on Radio Kerry these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

sheep? wrote: »

But, I'd say that out of the last 10 times I've tuned in, it's been Tara Duggan at least 50% of the time. Coincidence, or has he been taking a lot of time off recently?

He has been taking a fair bit of time off alright. I think they had a new baby a couple of months ago, so that could be why!

Ah, well that's fair enough. :)

I think it'd be nice to try a few new voices in future. I never heard Jerry O'Sullivan, but now I'm (Henry Mc)keen to hear what he can do. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

He seems like a decent guy but I just find the show so boring. I'm no fan of Duffy either but it just seems like everytime I listen to Sean his topics are religion or history. I find the show rather depressing. SOmetimes he even makes attempts at being funny and there is more craic in an egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

He has Aodhain O'Riordain on for half hour now. Cue a soft soap interview for that hypocrite seeking to get another few years with his snout in the trough.

He has Aodhain O'Riordain on for half hour now. Cue a soft soap interview for that hypocrite seeking to get another few years with his snout in the trough.

:confused: He's already lost his seat so he can hardly have his snout in that trough.

I don't mind O'Riordain - he seems a pretty personable guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

:confused: He's already lost his seat so he can hardly have his snout in that trough.

I don't mind O'Riordain - he seems a pretty personable guy.

He's running in the Seanad elections.

He's running in the Seanad elections.

Sorry, I was just going to edit my post when I realised that but you beat me to it.

Still don't mind him as a politician and was hoping he'd get in over some of the other Labour fellas that got in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Disagree. O'Riordain campaigned for the abolition of the Seanad, something I didn't agree with, but given that the public chose to sustain it, I see no hypocrisy in running for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Disagree. O'Riordain campaigned for the abolition of the Seanad, something I didn't agree with, but given that the public chose to sustain it, I see no hypocrisy in running for it now.

Right, so you also see no hypocrisy in his statement before the election that he wasn't going to be "kicking around in the Seanad for five years" and then when he was turfed out by the good people of Dublin Bay North decides that the country can't do without his superior intellect?

That's where we disagree. To me, the man is a hypocrite of the highest order, who can't bear to be without the trappings of power, and padding out his pension like everyone else in Labour. All his post election justifications are just cant and nothing else.

Redhead - April Fool
    It took me a minute.

He sounds like the fella who does the 'stuff that changed the world' slot putting on a posh accent.

Masterbating during childbirth! Quality Radio lol!

Haha, I was just about to reply.

EDIT: Oh my god. There's a woman having contractions in the background! :eek:

At least I think it's contractions....

>_>

Haha next item 'Why are we so gullible'

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Masterbating during childbirth! Quality Radio lol!

I thought this was an April fool - apparently not

I remember a few years ago they did a whole show full of fake items on April 1st, the only ones I remember are an active volcano in Donegal and that Sean Lemass had a cross dressing cousin who went by the name of Gigi Lemass a piece of Irish ass :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I'm thinking of organising a collection so if Trump gets elected we can send Sean away on holiday for a few weeks to recover.

Advertisement