Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ha ha ha ha

sean trying to tell us today he and his in the media have always been fair on discussions on immigration !

what is the lad smoking at all ?

:D:D:D :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ha ha ha ha

sean trying to tell us today he and his in the media have always been fair on discussions on immigration !

what is the lad smoking at all ?

:D:D:D :

Tbf, you have Hook on after Moncrieff so that fairly balances things out.

(I'm only after tuning in. What was the conversation about?)

ah i only caught the tail end of it as i was flicking over to liveline.

he was getting all snarky at a texter that pointed out how the subject was persona non grata for fecking years on the national airwaves and he went all revisionist on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ah i only caught the tail end of it as i was flicking over to liveline.

he was getting all snarky at a texter that pointed out how the subject was persona non grata for fecking years on the national airwaves and he went all revisionist on it.

Hook is on about it every night of the week as far as I can tell.

an all it took was a thousand strong rape gang of refugees in germany to get us to that enlightened level.

which even then the matt coopers of the worlds will try to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

He's giving Larissa Nolan a harder ride compared to his usual soft soap interviews to his favourites. I mean how dare she say she hates modern feminism and offend his poor sensibilities?

Then in answering the texts asking why he gave her a hard time, he describes her as patronising while at the same time being more patronising himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

He's giving Larissa Nolan a harder ride compared to his usual soft soap interviews to his favourites. I mean how dare she say she hates modern feminism and offend his poor sensibilities?

Then in answering the texts asking why he gave her a hard time, he describes her as patronising while at the same time being more patronising himself.

Yeah heard the back end of that interview, He is a male feminist the way he goes on, you would swear he had a vagina the way he goes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Yeah heard the back end of that interview, He is a male feminist the way he goes on, you would swear he had a vagina the way he goes on!

You would swear he dissed one of your texts the way you go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He is a male feminist the way he goes on

I believe he has said on many occasions that he is a feminist.

It's not a genital specific viewpoint.

Extremists and radicals make every idea look bad

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    You would swear he dissed one of your texts the way you go on.

Lol yeah right nothing to do with it! his attack on any listener who doesn't share his viewpoint or willing to see other peoples view on a subject the lady he interviewed today regarding feminists he again was so mockingly dismissive of her, it just goes to show his ignorance towards people of differing views!
    Also btw he did read out a tweet once but he didn't go full Moncrieff on it he just said something he didn't like about a phrase I used "these people" I think it was!

• Advertisement

Also btw he did read out a tweet once but he didn't go full Moncrieff on it he just said something he didn't like about a phrase I used "these people" I think it was!

This what you you posted at the time.
    I actually had my tweet read out by him I had asked him to ask his guest about the gulf/Saudi rich States had not taken in any Syrian refugees and that it shouldn't be a free for all into Europe. Sean basically took offence to my language use of "Free for all" and asked if I had a daughter would I want to settle in Saudi with their record on sex equaility.
    But very dismissive towards my very reasonable tweet!

It's kind of a mute point though. Saudi has never taken in refugees, so you can't blame the refugees for not going there and whose going to force Saudi to accept them. Saudi are not innocent bystanders in the Syrian war either.

I can't really comment on the Larissa Nolan interview, I didn't hear it. I'll probably catch it later on.

This what you you posted at the time.

It's kind of a mute point though. Saudi has never taken in refugees, so you can't blame the refugees for not going there and whose going to force Saudi to accept them. Saudi are not innocent bystanders in the Syrian war either.

I can't really comment on the Larissa Nolan interview, I didn't hear it. I'll probably catch it later on.

Actually it's not and it is what has happened Europe did become a free for all and why would they not go to Saudi or other rich Arab states with a similar culture? Anyway glad you found my post!
    Back on topic please listen to the interview today and how totally dismissive he was of her and anyone who texted in to support the lady's standpoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have been listening to his show since before they even went national and love a lot of the slots but he has become incredibly insufferable over the last few months. He belittles anybody that doesnt have a SJW mindset with little right of reply. He has become so aggressive in opposing anybody that doesnt have the same views as him. I turned off the feminism "discussion" after about 1-2 minutes, knowing what way it was going to go. His first question was so aggressive in saying "Give me an example" before I belittle you in a passive aggressive way.

Even Hook generally has balance to the show. His opposing texters are usually abusive but for the constructive texts, Hook will engage with it and give them right to reply. Moncrieff usually just gives a snarky reply, that insinuates that the texter is stupid.

Losing Paulo was a big loss to the show too and it has generally gone downhill over the last year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I don't think he's anymore contrary with texters than he used to be, anyway those texters that he gets really angry with don't seem all that likeable anyway and deserve all the derision they get.

While he can be a proper arsehole at times, it's a show that still entertains and is educational, so for me the positive comfortably outweighs the negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In fairness, the grumpy, incurious, right-wing old man demographic (i.e. at least 90% of this forum) is very well catered for on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Well, now that Ivan is heading back to Wales in July and Uncle George is retiring in September, Denis O'Brien is going to have to get his curmudgeon-radar out soon.

I don't mind Seán's snarkiness, it's kind of entertaining as I don't take it seriously. I certainly don't tune into him for hard hitting journalism. I'm probably not as far left leaning as he is, but I'm definitely not as far right as Hook, so I suppose it balances itself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

sheep? wrote: »
    Well, now that Ivan is heading back to Wales in July and Uncle George is retiring in September, Denis O'Brien is going to have to get his curmudgeon-radar out soon.

I was just thinking that. It would be a terrible shame if we ended up with a shortage of boorish, over-confident, right-wing old men on the radio. It would be great if one of them was replaced by Dil Wickremasinghe (a left-wing lesbian foreigner), just for the reactions it would provoke on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I have been listening to his show since before they even went national and love a lot of the slots but he has become incredibly insufferable over the last few months. He belittles anybody that doesnt have a SJW mindset with little right of reply. He has become so aggressive in opposing anybody that doesnt have the same views as him. I turned off the feminism "discussion" after about 1-2 minutes, knowing what way it was going to go. His first question was so aggressive in saying "Give me an example" before I belittle you in a passive aggressive way.

Even Hook generally has balance to the show. His opposing texters are usually abusive but for the constructive texts, Hook will engage with it and give them right to reply. Moncrieff usually just gives a snarky reply, that insinuates that the texter is stupid.

Losing Paulo was a big loss to the show too and it has generally gone downhill over the last year.

In fairness though, her trump card was to use the example of a woman who was attacked in Camden street and claimed it was because she was a woman (if she had read the facts of the case IT WAS!!).

Then she went on to name another female journalist whom she truly admired and thought of as a 'true' feminist. She siad she admired her because she used facts to back up her statements (unlike the woman herslef being interviewed by Sean).... then she went on about 'feeling that she's Octually a Masculinist Feminist' like some overbearing airhead who's drunk at a party, when pressed by Sean as to what 'masculinist feminist' was she hadn't a clue what she was saying.

To my mind, most journalists in the pale do nothing but stroke each other's ego's when put on a Radio station together (as it's such a small world). So he took her on far better than Marion Finucane or Pat Kenny would have... they would have fed her tid-bits of devils advocacy to make her more credible, whereas Sean just asked her outright to explain her thinking.

He's still gets ratty when someone points out his mistakes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

RayM wrote: »
    I was just thinking that. It would be a terrible shame if we ended up with a shortage of boorish, over-confident, right-wing old men on the radio. It would be great if one of them was replaced by Dil Wickremasinghe (a left-wing lesbian foreigner), just for the reactions it would provoke on here.

They're probably just going to clone Shane Coleman. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just listened back to it, didn't think the interview was too bad. maybe he took offence to her labelling modern feminists as rabid, which was an affront to caitlin moran, who he seems to jizz over any time she's been on.

• Advertisement

I don't think he's anymore contrary with texters than he used to be, anyway those texters that he gets really angry with don't seem all that likeable anyway and deserve all the derision they get.

While he can be a proper arsehole at times, it's a show that still entertains and is educational, so for me the positive comfortably outweighs the negative.

He admits himself that he can be too smart arsed.
    "My biggest fault is a tendency to become sucked into arguments. My defence mechanism is giving a glib answer. I would be better off pausing and giving a better answer."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/this-much-i-know-sean-moncrieff-369535.html

That's just one interview, he's said the same thing in a number of other ones I've read. I always quite enjoy the put downs myself. He only ever really has a go at the blatantly offense texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yeah, I hate his style. For a man from the west of Ireland, he's completely forgotten that not *everybody* is well-versed in contemporary feminist theory. It's a pity. He's clever & engaging but it's too easy for his contemporaries to switch off, saying, 'you'd swear he had a vagina himself!!!!'

Also, where can I listen back to that interview with Larissa Nolan. Tried my podcast feed but only 2 items up from today. Please tell me it's *somewhere*!

Yeah, I hate his style. For a man from the west of Ireland, he's completely forgotten that not *everybody* is well-versed in contemporary feminist theory. It's a pity. He's clever & engaging but it's too easy for his contemporaries to switch off, saying, 'you'd swear he had a vagina himself!!!!'

Also, where can I listen back to that interview with Larissa Nolan. Tried my podcast feed but only 2 items up from today. Please tell me it's *somewhere*!

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

part 4, just after the news

his attack on any listener who doesn't share his viewpoint or willing to see other peoples view on a subject the lady he interviewed today regarding feminists he again was so mockingly dismissive of her, it just goes to show his ignorance towards people of differing views!

He's said before that he's a feminist so I wasn't expecting him to have an honest debate. I bet Larissa Nolan was expecting him to do his usual soft soap interview that he does with 99.9% of all other interviewees. Well she knows now that if you offend his delicate sensitivities he's going to go for you. I think his grumpiness might be the dawning realisation that not everybody automatically thinks the way he does, and no amount of speaking down to them and being glib and snarky to them works.

Funnily enough I don't remember him getting so animated about the homeless crisis.

Edit: He's done a good piece on homelessness and children today so fair play and praise where it's due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Sean with his anyone who supports Trump is a stupid white American male rant in his first sentence today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sean with his anyone who supports Trump is a stupid white American male rant in his first sentence today :rolleyes:

He's right

I haven't heard any reasoned or intelligent arguments in support of him or his policies, have you? Perhaps you could share them...

If you want to get an idea of the average intelligence of a Trump supporter, look at his campaign page on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/

Dank memes and insults is all they can muster. There's no discussion about how his policies would work in practice.

Calling them stupid is putting it lightly

He's dead right.
    Who in their right mind could support Donald Trump as president of America?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

He's said before that he's a feminist so I wasn't expecting him to have an honest debate. I bet Larissa Nolan was expecting him to do his usual soft soap interview that he does with 99.9% of all other interviewees. Well she knows now that if you offend his delicate sensitivities he's going to go for you. I think his grumpiness might be the dawning realisation that not everybody automatically thinks the way he does, and no amount of speaking down to them and being glib and snarky to them works.

Having listened to it, I think Sean was pretty nice to her. She's deluded: her solution to male oppression is 'write an article for the Indo', completely overlooking the privilege she enjoys as a highly educated, middle-class woman working in the Dublin media.

Advertisement