Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Having listened to it, I think Sean was pretty nice to her. She's deluded: her solution to male oppression is 'write an article for the Indo', completely overlooking the privilege she enjoys as a highly educated, middle-class woman working in the Dublin media.

She complained about misandry in Irish media and yet was unwilling to point the finger at any of her fellow journalists (of which there are a few that are prone to male bashing from time to time), instead using the example of the woman being assaulted near Trinity College which had feck all to do with what she was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

She had a point in her article about man bashing. To be fair I haven't really heard any '5th wave' feminists on the Irish Radio. I don't buy papers so don't know if there is any of these loons writing. It seems mostly an internet thing.

I could be completely wrong on that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

He's right

I haven't heard any reasoned or intelligent arguments in support of him or his policies, have you? Perhaps you could share them...

If you want to get an idea of the average intelligence of a Trump supporter, look at his campaign page on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/

Dank memes and insults is all they can muster. There's no discussion about how his policies would work in practice.

Calling them stupid is putting it lightly

There are a load of skeletons in Hilarys closet and many reasons why she would be a poor president ( bought and paid for by Wall St banks being one ).

But you wont hear Sean having a half hour discussion about that.

And he did agree with me when he read out my text saying not all Trump supporters were stupid angry white males !!!!! ;-)

Oh I'm not saying for one minute, that Hillary SHOULD be President.
    But definitely Trump, should not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'm not sure any of them should.

Well Bernie maybe, but it looks like that's not going to happen, and Ted Cruz is nearly crazier than Trump IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

John Kasich should be the 45th President of the United States.

This segment can really grind my gears. I wonder would they be saying the same if it was a guy scoring a girl.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The chat with that fella from the live forever Religion was entertaining.

Was funny when the newsreader mentioned X-Factor auditions in Dublin 'be the next One Direction or Olly Murs' and Sean replied 'Or one of the thousand other people that everyone has forgotten'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Have to admit, I thought this bit about letting rip would be more fun.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was funny when he had that politician at the start and he mentioned politicians giving long winded answers then she started waffling "...there's gap there that needs to be bridged, get people in there who can..." then Sean finished "Give straight answers" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Think I'm done with this show.

It has just become annoying and too agenda led.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Have to say that ,as a long time listener on a daily basis, I am close to switching off.
    The station certainly has an agenda (certainly form the shows I listen to) and one of them being water charges are good.
    Agree that after P Tullio sadly passed Moncrieff show has slowly been sliding downhill. Some good segments and interviews but youhave to put up with an awful dross to get to it.
    Parenting can be good but getting repetitve.
    History is great (if you have an interest that way)
    Things that changed the world...Meh! Yer man Tierney that does one week does a great job then the next seems to just have read a wiki page.
    When Tara Duggan sits in I switch off straight away.

I have already picked my morning show to tune into when Yatser leaves. Wont be able to take Chris with his political correct nicey nice manner. Yatser calls a spade a spade and isnt afraid of it.Some of the segments that they did wrt to marriage equality I found offensivley one sided regardless of which side you were on. If you didnt agree with them you were some sort of bible bashing arsehole.Are they supposed to be unbiased?

Pat Kenny has some really really great segments but find myself switching off a lot.

Never ever listened to Hook.

Pretty much anyone who was against the marriage referendum on media was a Bible bashing arsehole.

61 % of the nation paid their water charges. They have a voice too.

If you took out all the posts by people giving out about Sean's pinko liberal-views on this thread, it would only be a quarter of the size it is now, as said a few pages ago, there is enough grumpy right wing old men on Newstalk to balance it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

koutoubia wrote: »
    Some of the segments that they did wrt to marriage equality I found offensivley one sided regardless of which side you were on. If you didnt agree with them you were some sort of bible bashing arsehole.Are they supposed to be unbiased?

I often wonder why opponents of marriage equality bothered to campaign against it. When you're opposing the right of two people who love each other to get married (a right that isn't going to have a negative effect on anyone else), you're never going to come across well. If the reputations of people like David Quinn and Breda O'Brien are in the gutter, it's not the media's fault - it's their own fault for engaging in an inevitably negative and unpopular campaign and failing to choose their battles wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

If you took out all the posts by people giving out about Sean's pinko liberal-views on this thread, it would only be a quarter of the size it is now, as said a few pages ago, there is enough grumpy right wing old men on Newstalk to balance it out.

Really? Outside of George Hook and Ivan, Newstalk has a liberal lefty spine running through it, Chris, Jonathan, Sean. Shane Pat I see as more neutral. So disagree with you there!

Really? Outside of George Hook and Ivan, Newstalk has a liberal lefty spine running through it, Chris, Jonathan, Sean. Shane Pat I see as more neutral. So disagree with you there!

They seem to have a good balance of right, left and neutral to me, people give out when someone is too opinionated and they give out when someone is too bland you can't win either way.

Wasn't the fella standing in today part of the old Tom Dunne morning show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Wasn't the fella standing in today part of the old Tom Dunne morning show.

Yeah, Joe Donnelly, Tom's old producer. Now a presenter on TXFM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think the Stuff That Changed The World slot is great. Interesting and funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

RayM wrote: »
    I often wonder why opponents of marriage equality bothered to campaign against it. When you're opposing the right of two people who love each other to get married (a right that isn't going to have a negative effect on anyone else), you're never going to come across well. If the reputations of people like David Quinn and Breda O'Brien are in the gutter, it's not the media's fault - it's their own fault for engaging in an inevitably negative and unpopular campaign and failing to choose their battles wisely.

If you want to talk about negative campaigns then the marriage equality one deserves a special mention for the Yes side alone because many of the actions of their supporters online amounted to McCarthyism.

Not everyone opposed to the marriage equality referendum was some bible bashing or homophobe. Plenty of people had concerns about the wording and the segment of the constitution that was being amended. But they couldn't dare voice these concerns publicly without an avalanche of pitchfork wielding Yes supporters descending on them in fury.

It was also interesting to see so many Yes for Equality voters voting against the Presidential age referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Red King wrote: »
    It was also interesting to see so many Yes for Equality voters voting against the Presidential age referendum.

I voted yes on but counts but I always think this argument is spurious. The vote No to the lower the age of the Presidental candidates was not affecting minorities in the way that the ban on marriage equality was - it affected every race, creed and gender equally - the same way that something like the prohibition of the sale of alcohol to anyone under 18 does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭koutoubia

RayM wrote: »
    I really dont wanna drag this off topic as it's the thread about Moncrieff so will keep the answer short.
    I voted Yes to Marriage Equality.
    I despise The Iona institute.
    BUT
    Newstalk did not have a balanced view and/or debate on it.
    That is the point I am making.

Sean was getting wound up by posh Sean from Vatican Radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

piss poor effort today talking to that guy who was on about men's issues. he wasn't taking sean's bait when he asked if he was against feminism and women's equality, so the interview was cut short.
    sean blamed the poor phone line, even though i could hear him pretty clearly.

there was a lad on anton savage last week who presents a program every sunday evening on 5 live called men's hour. i've a feeling he would have run rings around sean if it was him instead. it's a very decent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

piss poor effort today talking to that guy who was on about men's issues. he wasn't taking sean's bait when he asked if he was against feminism and women's equality, so the interview was cut short.
    sean blamed the poor phone line, even though i could hear him pretty clearly.

there was a lad on anton savage last week who presents a program every sunday evening on 5 live called men's hour. i've a feeling he would have run rings around sean if it was him instead. it's a very decent show.

Sounds like Sean was triggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Missed it today but sounded like he was having a go at some of the texters giving out about Same sex marriages maybe someone who was listening can elaborate.

Missed it today but sounded like he was having a go at some of the texters giving out about Same sex marriages maybe someone who was listening can elaborate.

it sounded like he had lost his sense of humour. there were some messages read out that i genuinely thought were funny, but he just slammed them.
    he wasn't on good form today or yesterday.
    maybe the texters were deliberately trying to wind him up and he's taking the bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

No, you're right. It's something I've noticed quite a bit with him lately. The whole idea of texting in is supposed to be an outlet for listeners to be a part of the discussion. Instead they seem to be used as fodder for his brand of humour.

I think, oddly enough, Hook does a better job with texts and tweets. He frequently reads out ones starting with "George, you oaf", "George, that's codswallop" etc and goes on to read out their point without any snide remarks. (Perhaps he lets their opinions do the damage).

I'll say it: I'd quicker tune into Hook than Moncrieff at this stage. Never thought I'd hear myself say it.

EDIT: ****! I'm getting old. :o

About half the posts in this thread are along the lines of 'Oh Sean didn't like it when someone disagreed with his pinko-liberal views' it's very tedious at this stage, some of those texts were the typical bone-headed nonsense that those topics attract.

If you'd never heard the show and read through this thread you'd think it was mainly a political show, but it takes up very little of the show, none of ye want to talk about the man who lived as a goat for a week instead.

• Advertisement

About half the posts in this thread are along the lines of 'Oh Sean didn't like it when someone disagreed with his pinko-liberal views' it's very tedious at this stage, some of those texts were the typical bone-headed nonsense that those topics attract.

If you'd never heard the show and read through this thread you'd think it was mainly a political show, but it takes up very little of the show, none of ye want to talk about the man who lived as a goat for a week instead.

the guy who lived as a goat got a grand time from sean. it's only when there's a bit of tension that people tend to send in messages either for or against the topic.
    take the clearly pisstake message today about why do lesbians always come first in LGBT? he dismissed that very harshly, when it was clearly a wind up.

Advertisement