Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

take the clearly pisstake message today about why do lesbians always come first in LGBT? he dismissed that very harshly, when it was clearly a wind up.

I think it was a 'you just wasted my time with nonsense' reaction, he should have just continued like nothing happened, he gave the eejit what they wanted.

His reaction to your man saying he voted no because of the sexual practices was funny 'if you voted yes you didn't have to do anything' outside of those two texts he wasn't that dismissive of any other ones as far as I remember.

Anyway I think Goatman was more interesting than that, never knew male goats piss on their beards to make themselves more attractive to females, dirty bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

never knew male goats piss on their beards to make themselves more attractive to females, dirty bastards.

Hipsters do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I take it he doesn't have to read out the texts I mean it's his show yet he chooses to read them out in distain, which would give ammo to listeners who want to wind him up! I also think he sometimes has a snide comment when ending the show about George's next although George doesn't seem to react to it. It's a shame that what should be a light hearted show in the afternoon usually has one segment or guest that supports Sean's world view be it his mate Amanda Bunker or someone like Colm O'Gorman, I would love someone like Ian O'Doherty to debate Sean on his views as they seem to be the polar opposite, I'd pay good money to see that face off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I take it he doesn't have to read out the texts I mean it's his show yet he chooses to read them out in distain, which would give ammo to listeners who want to wind him up! I also think he sometimes has a snide comment when ending the show about George's next although George doesn't seem to react to it. It's a shame that what should be a light hearted show in the afternoon usually has one segment or guest that supports Sean's world view be it his mate Amanda Bunker or someone like Colm O'Gorman, I would love someone like Ian O'Doherty to debate Sean on his views as they seem to be the polar opposite, I'd pay good money to see that face off!

He's had Ian O'Doherty on the show loads of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

We get it, you don't like the show - but do you really have to keep banging on about it? Hanging around the thread waiting to thank any post that's even vaguely negative about Sean or the show. It's not normal. If I don't like a show, I don't listen to it and I don't post about it'
    Missed it today but sounded like he was having a go at some of the texters giving out about Same sex marriages maybe someone who was listening can elaborate.

...I mean wtf? You didn't hear it but you wanted to get offended about it anyway. Now you're getting offended on George Hook's behalf. Hook is no shrinking violet, if he didn't like something Sean said(which I seriously doubt), I'm sure he would let it be known.

• Advertisement

He's had Ian O'Doherty on the show loads of times.

Yeah but Ian hasn't really taken Sean up on his views and I don't think Sean has really challenged Ian either they kind of dance around each other!

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    We get it, you don't like the show - but do you really have to keep banging on about it? Hanging around the thread waiting to thank any post that's even vaguely negative about Sean or the show. It's not normal. If I don't like a show, I don't listen to it and I don't post about it'

...I mean wtf? You didn't hear it but you wanted to get offended about it anyway. Now you're getting offended on George Hook's behalf. Hook is no shrinking violet, if he didn't like something Sean said(which I seriously doubt), I'm sure he would let it be known.

Who are you Sean's Ma? I'll say what I want about the show and yes I did hear bits of it but was too busy to listen to it fully!
    If you have a problem with me commenting on this thread take it to the mods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yeah but Ian hasn't really taken Sean up on his views and I don't think Sean has really challenged Ian either they kind of dance around each other!

That's Moncrieff's style though. For instance, Moncrieff and Ronan Mullen would probably be diametrically opposed to each other on a lot of things, but whenever he appears on the show to do the 1.30 slot, it's usually a fairly mutually respectful conversation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah Jaysus, more whinging about politics.....

HE HAD A MAN WHO LIVED LIKE A F*CKING GOAT ON TODAY

I thought that might stop ye moaning for once, but I was wrong :(

Who are you Sean's Ma?

No. On a thread of radio show you so clearly detest, you have the second highest number of posts. Have you nothing better to do?

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    No. On a thread of radio show you so clearly detest, you have the second highest number of posts. Have you nothing better to do?

You clearly don't have anything better to do other then obsessing about me, seeing as you have to check my posts, check which posts I have thanked and have the cheek to tell me what I should or shouldn't listen too! There is a mute button that you can use if you don't want to read my comments feel free to use it!

You clearly don't have anything better to do other then obsessing about me, seeing as you have to check my posts, check which posts I have thanked and have the cheek to tell me what I should or shouldn't listen too!

No, not obsessed at all. I've just notice the types of posts you thank in here in passing. Checking how many posts each poster posts in a thread just takes two clicks of the moose. Tbh, I don't give a toss. Don't mind me. Moan on, mate...moan on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I want more round mobile phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

well.... you could take yesterday's interview with david norris for example.
    when he's had ronan mullen on, he usually lets him dig his own hole, same with when he had ruth coppinger on.
    yesterday though, he almost handed david norris the shovel when talking about commoners etc, but then pulled back. would have loved him to quiz him about his feelings on 1916 if he was president, which some texter asked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Every time Sean says "crikey" I feel like punching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Hipsters do the same.

That texters boyfriend too.

That piece on Hubert Butler is the reason why the show is great, as someone who was a lazy bastard in school I learn an awful lot from it.

Your man's rant on Pink Floyd was amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Maybe it was, but for methese days listening to Moncrieff for pieces like that is like wading through so much sh*t to get a euro. so I've given up and gone over to Today FM. Frankly it's bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Maybe it was, but for methese days listening to Moncrieff for pieces like that is like wading through so much sh*t to get a euro. so I've given up and gone over to Today FM. Frankly it's bliss.

You'd have to pay me to listen to Louise Duffy for two hours. Absolute drivel. At least I might learn something listening to Moncrieff.

That piece on Hubert Butler is the reason why the show is great, as someone who was a lazy bastard in school I learn an awful lot from it.

Your man's rant on Pink Floyd was amusing.

Ooooooooo I wanted to throttle him. :p

I know, people have their opinions etc. But seriously....

I pulled over, turned him off and put some pink floyd on.

It was unfortunate, I usually enjoy the opening interview. But when he started to talk about Bruce Springsteen being better.... Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I dunno. Fair enough, music is subjective, but he had an air of 'I'm right though' about him.

So I suppose you're right! Amusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

sheep? wrote: »

I know, people have their opinions etc. But seriously....

I pulled over, turned him off and put some pink floyd on.

It was unfortunate, I usually enjoy the opening interview. But when he started to talk about Bruce Springsteen being better.... Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I dunno. Fair enough, music is subjective, but he had an air of 'I'm right though' about him.

In fairness to him, he also called Gavin James a "talantless oik", which is pretty much spot on!

Agree with you on the Floyd/Springsteen thong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

They really need to do something about those old staples like the opening, 'it's a funny old world' story from the tabloids and 'did you know'. They only work where you can script them up a bit and have a proper payoff. At their best, it's not enough to just read a couple of paragraphs straight from the Star. To be honest, I think they're just really old fashioned, and need to go.

This fella on now sounds like a prop-ah geezer

I somehow manage to regularly tune in for David Carey's slot and I always enjoy it, despite not being a parent. I felt for that poor kid missing her teddy. I lost mine when I was a wee one on a beach in Wexford.

My older brother, bless him, told me that he'd escaped to live in exotic Wales to live the high life with the Nurse from Animaniacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Sean on with the Ibrahim Halawi on a holiday propaganda again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

sheep? wrote: »
    I somehow manage to regularly tune in for David Carey's slot and I always enjoy it, despite not being a parent. I felt for that poor kid missing her teddy. I lost mine when I was a wee one on a beach in Wexford.

My older brother, bless him, told me that he'd escaped to live in exotic Wales to live the high life with the Nurse from Animaniacs.

I think that hit a lot of people...

If that had happened to me as a kid I'd have been properly devastated. At 4 I insisted that my mum sew one of my school uniform name tags onto my favourite teddy in case he got lost.

In fact I think I'd still be in bits if I lost that teddy :o

Graham Finlay's piece on the history of blood transfusions was very interesting today. His podcasts are here if anyone fancies a listen.

the guy who lived as a goat got a grand time from sean. it's only when there's a bit of tension that people tend to send in messages either for or against the topic.
    take the clearly pisstake message today about why do lesbians always come first in LGBT? he dismissed that very harshly, when it was clearly a wind up.
    One thing I've always noticed about Moncrieff is his near-total inability to detect sarcasm or humour in a text.

He also has zero tolerance for criticism, and sees every opposing text or tweet as a challenge which he must overcome. More professional broadcasters, such as Pat Kenny, Sean O'Rourke generally let the comments speak for themselves, either way. Moncrieff hates to have his opinions challenged, or those of the guests with whom he agrees.

I still listen to the show, because it's interesting. I love the David Carey parenting slot, which is always thought-provoking and sensible.

The worst segments on the show are the smug TV critic James, and Jonathan Burke (sorry, Butler de Burka) doing his ctrl + v wikipedia bit.

Yeah it's incredibly easy to decipher the tone in which someone has written something down.

When this thread was started, I would have thought people would be giving out more about him saying 'crikey' a lot or the ehhhhs or the Americans saying good morning and trying to sell their books or all the great questions he seems to ask.

I never realised people got so offended on behalf of the people sending in bone-headed text messages, it's been said said before, but Sean only really seems to get angry at the really offensive ones and his put downs are often quite funny.

• Advertisement

I never realised people got so offended on behalf of the people sending in bone-headed text messages, it's been said said before, but Sean only really seems to get angry at the really offensive ones and his put downs are often quite funny.
    here's the thing: perhaps you only perceive tweets and texts as bone-headed because you don't get the irony. For example, Newstalk are currently running a Moncrieff promo ad, in which Sean 'defeats' an obviously-sarcastic text about the conspiracy of a secret global order, or some such buffoonery. The thing is, whereas most presenters would laugh it off, Moncrieff engages with it in a totally serious way, as, one may infer, does his production team.

On any other programme, a mature production team would be capable of critical interpretation.

Not here. Not on a station which seems to be staffed by naive interns on jobbridge, and because I know some of them myself, I can tell you, that also applies to the on-air contributors.

This is not an anti Moncrieff rant. Parts of the Moncrieff show are fabulous ; other parts are simply dire.

Advertisement