Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In fairness it's almost impossible to know how serious they are being, when you're just reading text it can be hard to judge the tone, given some of the sh1t people post on the internet there's a fair chance some of them are at least serious, some of them are probably just pushing his buttons as well.

To me it's an insignificant aspect of the show, but the only time this thread ever picks up any traction is when Sean gives out to someone who texted in pure guff, I find it boring to be honest with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Been a while since I was in here. Last time, most of the posts were ebullient in their praise for the show. Seems to be a bit of a divided crowd now. Not sure why; I don't think the show itself has gotten worse and the quality of the competition certainly hasn't improved. It still drives me mad sometimes - the opening guests are frequently terrible (Kitty Holland, Ian O'Doherty, Amanda Brunker etc.) but the show is still one of the most interesting things on the radio. A few people seem to be ticked off by Sean's apparent concessions to political correctness. In fairness, between Ivan Yates and George Hook, I think Newstalk is more than catering for those people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

jooksavage wrote: »
    Been a while since I was in here. Last time, most of the posts were ebullient in their praise for the show. Seems to be a bit of a divided crowd now. Not sure why; I don't think the show itself has gotten worse and the quality of the competition certainly hasn't improved. It still drives me mad sometimes - the opening guests are frequently terrible (Kitty Holland, Ian O'Doherty, Amanda Brunker etc.) but the show is still one of the most interesting things on the radio. A few people seem to be ticked off by Sean's apparent concessions to political correctness. In fairness, between Ivan Yates and George Hook, I think Newstalk is more than catering for those people too.

The format is stale. I've been listening since 08 and not a lot has changed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dara O Briain's suit on Have I Got News For You cost more than RTE's budget for Don't Feed The Gondolas, seems mental but totally believable at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'd be in the "if it ain't broke" category...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is he not broadcasting for longer now? The show's timeslot definitely changed and AFAIR it was lengthened by at least half an hour.

He got rid of the slot where he used to have three oul' ones (one of them being Henry McKean's ma IIRC) discussing the gossip in the newspapers.

The half-hour in-depth interview at the start is also something that wasn't always there.

It used to start with Henry doing a vox-pop on the big issue of the day and then Sean would talk to an expert on whatever it was, I think the chat at the start was brought in around 2009.

There have changed a few slots in the last 2/3 years, so they are at least attempting to keep it fresh, as long as they keep sourcing interesting guests, I'll keep listening, simple as that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

When I listen to the radio in the afternoon, it's to Newstalk. Can.not.abide Liveline at all these days. Used to be a regular listener to it, but just no.

The amount of times a guest says "that's a really good question" surprises me. I don't notice it being said on other programmes. So for that he gets my listening vote.

Substitute presenter in the seat today.

Really sub-par. He seemed to have no familiarity with the show at all, didn't seem to know what 'Movies and Booze' was about.

Ray D'arcy levels of awkwardness.

Between that and Funny Friday, we had to turn off the office radio altogether.

Substitute presenter in the seat today.

Really sub-par. He seemed to have no familiarity with the show at all, didn't seem to know what 'Movies and Booze' was about.

Ray D'arcy levels of awkwardness.

Between that and Funny Friday, we had to turn off the office radio altogether.

Joe Donnelly ! From TXFM, great on that station, playing alternative music.
    Thought I was on the wrong station for a minute.
    Didn't think he was too bad actually, considering he probably never even listens to Seans show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭AdolfEngland

Absolutely dreadful today. Who is he and has he ever done radio before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Absolutely dreadful today. Who is he and has he ever done radio before?

Was on a show with Bernard from 2fm, also produced Tom Dunne on Newstalk and covered him a few times.

I really enjoyed it but then again i like Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

He was better than 3 hours of Tara though ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Sean crying into his cornflakes over Brexit. Hilarious stuff, his world has been turned upside down, the sky is falling, how could this happen etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Sean crying into his cornflakes over Brexit. Hilarious stuff, his world has been turned upside down, the sky is falling, how could this happen etc.

Every single Newstalk presenter has had the same reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He has a very black and white outlook on a lot of issues.

This wasn't an ideological war waged between the two political wings, good vs evil or however he sees things, it was far more nuanced than that. You had the left and the right on both sides of the debate.

He has a very black and white outlook on a lot of issues.

This wasn't an ideological war waged between the two political wings, good vs evil or however he sees things, it was far more nuanced than that. You had the left and the right on both sides of the debate.

I don't know, what I'm listening to now is fairly nuanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I don't know, what I'm listening to now is fairly nuanced.

Aye, he's not singing the EU's praises at all and he's giving both sides pretty equal airing in the messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jonathan Healy's show was priceless. You'd swear himself and Shane Coleman were at a wake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Aye, he's not singing the EU's praises at all and he's giving both sides pretty equal airing in the messages.

Yeah, now that the Emperor has no clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

bizarre stuff !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Awww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Caroline off to RTE after 10 years on the show, I wonder what show she is going to work on? Will she try to poach Sean?

Ah that was a nice tribute to her, I'm amazed that radio play they did a few years didn't even get nominated for best drama, they were robbed.

Ah no I remember it well, it was sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Turned it on just there because of the football competition

Who are these idiots on now comparing Brexit to the rise of the Nazis, all depressed , berating Leave voters and talking about SSM referendum. Utter tools, how about a bit of balance to the debate ffs.Honestly how is this station still going it really is like College Radio at this point, there is no balance it is just a soapbox for some of these clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

It must have been those angry white men that don't have trendy right on views than Sean espouses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Keep things civil people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Caroline off to RTE after 10 years on the show, I wonder what show she is going to work on? Will she try to poach Sean?

I hope not! That piece was very gushy, I thought. They are together in real life. Noone died!

I hope not! That piece was very gushy, I thought. They are together in real life. Noone died!

Isn't she married to Fionn Davenport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Isn't she married to Fionn Davenport?

I hope not considering she is living with Sean!

Advertisement