Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Does Serena Ballisimo ever be on movies and booze anymore? Don't mind Esther, she's largely useless as a critic but she's a bit of craic, Serena was the same way really. There was another young one on before a couple years back, now she was utterly dreadful, she didn't know jack**** about films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I think Serena has a regular show on Spin for the last while. I used to like her too. There's a good film reviewer called Rory Cashin who pops up on various shows, he'd be worth a shot in the slot. I'd agree Esther is fairly insubstantial

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He need to stop saying crickey, its a word that does my head in for some reason and he is starting to say it a few times a show.

That Annette Freeman segment is totally pointless.

It's called "What to do tonight", not "What Annette did last night". And when she does get around to the ... y'know, whole point of the segment ... it's a quickfire succession of venues and times that probably go totally unheeded.

If segments like this are pared from the show in the Autumn schedule, the shortened show will be all the better.

They may get rid of that useless "Did you know?"/ "Fact of the Day" bit, and all. As someone else pointed out, it's very reminiscent of The Sun circa 1996.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

They may get rid of that useless "Did you know?"/ "Fact of the Day" bit, and all. As someone else pointed out, it's very reminiscent of The Sun circa 1996.

I dunno, I found it very useful today to understand the correlation between a Narwhal's horn and its...well, horn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Dub13 wrote: »
    He need to stop saying crickey, its a word that does my head in for some reason and he is starting to say it a few times a show.

Can't he keep saying astounding though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is wolf whistling at women hate crime?

A story absolutely made for Henry McKean.

So much so, I could swear I've heard him cover this hot topic before.

God, men are such animals. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

sean going off on one again at the texters.

mild enough TBH

the whole "C" word thing had me in stitches though, such a middleclass attitude.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

"Sean, can you ask Esther have you seen (insert name of film)?"
    Esther- "ehm no, sorry"

Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

That wine guy (martin moran) is one of the most irritating people on radio, laughing like a demented clown at his own jokes. Very annoying. I don't know why they keep having him on.

• Advertisement

Missing it cos of work. What movies are they doing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sunni Shiites

Really enjoyed todays show. Sean is usually great in front of an audience.

Does Esther watch anything she doesn't review for M&B. Doesn't seem like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I think guests on Seans show get a bonus if they use the word "misogyny"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm just checking, but is that tom dunne on now???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

i'm just checking, but is that tom dunne on now???

Tis. I think he works well in this mode. But we need to play the "kids mention" and "I was in a band" drinking game now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nice to hear Tom during daylight hours again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's good to see that the anton savage show researchers are happy to share the work with moncrieff's team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Sweet Devine !

Tom is a natural stand in

How did it take NT mgmt so long to try him in the slot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think he's worked in every slot he's been in, always liked him on his music shows and when he used to be in the slot before Pat Kenny joined.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Billy The Shiite Bag

Tom is a great all rounder. I listen to his show most nights so I wouldn't like them to cut it but it's probably a bit of a waste of his talents given the late hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

It might be personal choice as well.

There's just something very effortless about Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

sheep? wrote:
    There's just something very effortless about Tom.

I didn't really like his previous morning show, but backed up by a team like Sean has and with the 'Moncrieff format', I think he did an excellent job!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I prefer Tom Dunne where he is now. He's much more comfortable presenting that type of show.

The previous show he presented in the mornings for NT was very much like the Moncrieff show. Same type of random topics. It didn't really work for him and he never drew competitive numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's very hard to dislike Tom Dunne. Sean Moncrieff, on the other hand..........

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Billy The Shiite Bag

Didn't think he worked well in the morning. Some of the subjects that were thrown out for listener texts were often quite silly and just not interesting.

Off topic, Deflefthand, are you really in Stilwell Oklahoma?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Didn't think he worked well in the morning. Some of the subjects that were thrown out for listener texts were often quite silly and just not interesting.

Off topic, Deflefthand, are you really in Stilwell Oklahoma?

No I'm here in Ireland. :pac:

This might sound silly but there was a famous Oklahoman prank call victim by the name of Frank Garrett who resided in Stilwell. I use the location in honour of him. :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dunne was brilliant filling in for Darcy around 2007/8, I think that's what lead to him getting the morning slot on Newstalk which was boring, if he had inherited Darcy's team I think he would have been great in that slot, I haven't heard an awful lot of his night show but it seems a lot better than that plodding, directionless morning show he had.

Only heard the chat with Isla Fisher which was good, he's a step up from Tara Duggan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

Dunne was brilliant filling in for Darcy around 2007/8, I think that's what lead to him getting the morning slot on Newstalk which was boring, if he had inherited Darcy's team I think he would have been great in that slot, I haven't heard an awful lot of his night show but it seems a lot better than that plodding, directionless morning show he had.

Only heard the chat with Isla Fisher which was good, he's a step up from Tara Duggan anyway.

The fluff in tom dunne's belly button is a step up from Tara Duggan....

What the hell? Is everbody high in here?

I mean, I like Tom...

But he's no Moncrieff. Come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭cml387

Is the Booze bit of M&B not totally predictable at this stage, or is that part of the joke.

"I drank a great wine when on holidays in Moldova called Oztcny Przrndykov. Where can I get this in Ireland?"

Nowhere.

"I'm pregnant and can't drink. Can you recommend a nonalcoholic beer?"

No. There's nothing that doesn't taste of weasels piss.

"I was given a present of a bottle of Chateau Neuf Du pape in 1969.(Subtext I only drink Smithwicks pint bottles and am a true bogger). Is it worth anything?"

No. Use it to launch a ship.

Advertisement