Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

cml387 wrote: »

No. Use it to launch a ship.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

cml387 wrote: »
    Is the Booze bit of M&B not totally predictable at this stage, or is that part of the joke.

"I drank a great wine when on holidays in Moldova called Oztcny Przrndykov. Where can I get this in Ireland?"

Nowhere.

"I'm pregnant and can't drink. Can you recommend a nonalcoholic beer?"

No. There's nothing that doesn't taste of weasels piss.

"I was given a present of a bottle of Chateau Neuf Du pape in 1969.(Subtext I only drink Smithwicks pint bottles and am a true bogger). Is it worth anything?"

No. Use it to launch a ship.

That last bit especially. Jesus Christ the amount of people who think they're struck gold with a bottle of plonk they found in the attic.

(However, Nanny State by Brew Dog is a nice non-alco beer. Well, as nice as you can possibly get in non-alco terms).

Just listened back to movies and booze.

Never realised before how silly it is for so many people to find bottles of old wine in their house.

But far more importantly, for the movie reviewer to do Star Trek and The BFG after saying she mixes up Star Trek & Star Wars (not a crime, but come on, a movie reviewer not at least KNOWING which is the one with Darth poxy Vader is a bit silly), and not knowing anything about Roalh Dahl (Charlie and the fecking Chocolate factory for Jesus sake) is remarkable.

And Tom, you clearly aren't a Star Trek fan, there was no need to pretend that you are.

Very poor, and I say that as a massive fan.

I cannot understand how that Esther movie reviewer keeps her job.
    She doesn't know ANYTHING about movies.
    She's just brutal

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't miss movies and booze if they decided to get rid of it.

I don't drink so my eyes glaze over during the drink expert and I rarely go to the cinema, but I do find the movie reviews interesting though, the best ones are when the reviewer is describing some awful sh1te and Sean is taking the piss out of it.

There probably would be uproar if they did get rid of it, so it'll probably stay as long as Sean is on Newstalk.

• Advertisement

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't miss movies and booze if they decided to get rid of it.

I don't drink so my eyes glaze over during the drink expert and I rarely go to the cinema, but I do find the movie reviews interesting though, the best ones are when the reviewer is describing some awful sh1te and Sean is taking the piss out of it.

There probably would be uproar if they did get rid of it, so it'll probably stay as long as Sean is on Newstalk.

Oh God, don't get rid if it!

It doesn't really matter what the movies are - the worse the better, though - and i can't tell a a 57 Pinot Grigiot (?) from a half bottle of house white, but it doesn't matter as long as Seán's in the mood for messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭cml387

You are absolutely right of course. That's why I suggested maybe it's an in joke on the program. I'm a big fan.

I have no problem with Esther either, although her advice on plumbing and other household diy projects can be a bit dodgy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Oh God, don't get rid if it!

I'm not saying they should get rid of it, but if you made me choose between keeping that or the history slot or the obscure news stories slots, I wouldn't choose M&B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Neither would I. Movies and Booze is just an extension of Sean's trendy middle class world view. Presumably he thinks that mainly focusing on wine reviews gives it some sort of faux gravitas - in the way that a wine "connoisseur" is sophisticated and intellectually advanced enough to ever be mentioned in the same breath as a beer lover - because we all know that wine drinkers are so much better than the rest of us, and could never suffer from alcohol problems.....

I texted Sean once to complain that he never had any whiskey reviews; to which he replied that if he did that, they'd probably all end up fighting each other :rolleyes:
    Even if they had the odd Friday where ordinary beers could be sampled, rather than the usual wankerish overpriced craft beers so beloved of Sean and his "experts", I'd probably tune in, but Movies and Booze is so far up its own arse at this stage, it's probably beyond saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Neither would I. Movies and Booze is just an extension of Sean's trendy middle class world view. Presumably he thinks that mainly focusing on wine reviews gives it some sort of faux gravitas - in the way that a wine "connoisseur" is sophisticated and intellectually advanced enough to ever be mentioned in the same breath as a beer lover - because we all know that wine drinkers are so much better than the rest of us, and could never suffer from alcohol problems.....

Ah get over yourself. They do beer reviews at least half of the time. Shows how often you actually listen.

• Advertisement

Man, that is some chip on your shoulder right there. :pac:
    I texted Sean once to complain that he never had any whiskey reviews; to which he replied that if he did that, they'd probably all end up fighting each other :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd be very interested in that. Plenty of lovely craft distilleries doing great things with whiskey in Ireland.
    Even if they had the odd Friday where ordinary beers could be sampled, rather than the usual wankerish overpriced craft beers so beloved of Sean and his "experts", I'd probably tune in, but Movies and Booze is so far up its own arse at this stage, it's probably beyond saving.

I don't get what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting they sample the likes of Heineken and Coors? Or is that too ordinary? What's 'ordinary' for you?

The craft sector needs coverage more than the ubiquitous brands.

BTW I'm saying all this as someone who could do without M&B. It's a little stale and Esther does my head in. Terrible, terrible critic. Maybe the frivolity of the segment dictates her reviews, and she's under orders to keep it light. But her opinions are very threadbare and she rarely gives more that a "no, it just didn't do it for me" type of answer. Which is pointless from a critic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Movies and Booze is just an extension of Sean's trendy middle class world view. ..........rather than the usual wankerish overpriced craft beers so beloved of Sean and his "experts", I'd probably tune in, but Movies and Booze is so far up its own arse at this stage, it's probably beyond saving.

Ah Harry, that's some nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ah Harry, that's some nonsense.

Indeed, can you imagine if they done a macro beer tasting, Carlsberg, Heineken and Budweiser. I can imagine the description, they all taste same except Budweiser is the blandest of them all.

Or maybe do a light beer week, Bud light, Corrs light and Miller light (they all taste like water with a bit of beer flavoring) :D

Indeed, can you imagine if they done a macro beer tasting, Carlsberg, Heineken and Budweiser. I can imagine the description, they all taste same except Budweiser is the blandest of them all.

Or maybe do a light beer week, Bud light, Corrs light and Miller light (they all taste like water with a bit of beer flavoring) :D
    Tell you what would be more fun.

Pour 3 red wines into three carafes, A, B and C, and get Tomas Clancy to judge them, or see if he even knows what he is drinking.

There have been some interesting experiments in that regard in the past.

I listen to wine reviews, but in reality, they have zero bearing on my choice of wines for the above reason. I think a small number of people have exceptional discernment, but an awful lot of people are sucked-in by marketing and trends, including wine critics.

Whereas the ridiculously-priced craft beer tastes of sandalwood, blackcurrant, sunshine, lollipops, and sugar and spice and all things nice. Still gets you pissed though.

Whereas the ridiculously-priced craft beer tastes of sandalwood, blackcurrant, sunshine, lollipops, and sugar and spice and all things nice. Still gets you pissed though.

Believe it or not I don't drink to get pissed very much and if I solely want to get pissed I will drink the macro piss as quick as I can, but when I'm at home on a Friday night I like to have a few crafty's and drink them slowly and enjoy the complexity of the beer.

Dean on M&B does an excellent job reviewing craft beers as the variation on taste and body in my opinion is greater that the variation in wine.

Macro or "Ordinary" beer does not need reviewing as we all know it tastes bland and unoffensive.

but when I'm at home on a Friday night I like to have a few crafty's and drink them slowly and enjoy the complexity of the beer.

:rolleyes:

Congratulations. You've pretty much proved my point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 jake_boy_men

they taste quite different and heineken is much much blander than either bud or carlsberg

Mmm craftys and non craftys.

My favourite.

What's your point Harry

• Advertisement

What's your point Harry

My point? If I'm looking for complexity, I'll watch re-runs of Twin Peaks. I won't be looking for it in a bottle of beer.

Maybe you're not looking hard enough Harry?

Craft beer is damn good booze. And hot.

Fair to Harry, that's your opinion and thats fine but the show is about movies and boose. I have no problem with anyone who wants to drink bland lager to get blotto. Likewise you I don't see why you have a problem with anyone who likes to appreciate complex ales, stouts or whatever else they want to drink

Tom sounds really, really bored with the intro/fact of the day bits.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Billy The Shiite Bag

Is Tom doing his night show aswell? I missed it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Is Tom doing his night show aswell? I missed it last night.

No, Richie McCormack is filling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What, precisely, would the point be in sampling the roughly 10 "ordinary beers" that have any level of wide availability in Ireland

You have one stout, two in/around Cork.
    You have one red ale.
    You have about 8 lagers.

Everyone knows what they taste like already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lol, first question is I have a 1981 bottle of xxxx, is it drinkable.

Has to be the same people taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Did anyone catch the question about the Screaming Eagle? What exactly happened!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the question about the Screaming Eagle? What exactly happened!?

Woman wrote in to say that her teenage daughter and her friends had drunk her father's (ie, the daughter's grandfather's) Screaming Eagle, 3 bottles of it when they had a party in the father's absence. When he found out he was furious, as it was the woman's inheritance and now they're not talking.

Advertisement