Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Saw an ad there for that Crossfire show on TV3. It's a bit odd, they did one series, seemed to forget about it, and then bring it back ages later.

Either way, to be frank, it's way below a man of his abilities.

On the other hand, a few quid for doing flip all.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is one more for the Newstalk Megathread if it was still around :(
    Gwan so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100767151#post100767151

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sometimes i wonder about the people who send in messages to movies and booze.

"i'm leaving work and i want to get some wine for a colleague, what should i get?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Missed the intro, but is that Stuart Clark from Hot Press on?

Either way, anyone else think he speaks and acts like a 1980s DJ on BBC Radio 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Missed the intro, but is that Stuart Clark from Hot Press on?

Either way, anyone else think he speaks and acts like a 1980s DJ on BBC Radio 1?

That's him alright, God help us. Doesn't just SOUND LIKE a 1980s DJ. Check out the ponytail. Honestly, I half expect Alan Partridge to namecheck him someday as one his mates.

• Advertisement

From his HotPress bio:

"Sipping champagne with Bruce in Paris; stowing away to Stranraer with Strummer and rocking to the Manics in Cuba with Castro..."

Jaysus, could he actually be any more insufferable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Remember the Girl Against Fluoride? Hot Press should, because they gave her her 15 minutes of fame a few years back. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

Seriously, does that Esther one know anything about movies? I spotted at least 3 people from Love Hate in the trailer!!!

"I don't think there's anyone".

• Registered Users Posts: 23 barryegan

Ha, and someone just pulled her up on it (possibly Rambling Rake!) but she was pretty dismissive of that comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

I missed the last few minutes. Wasn't me :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That Sausage Party review was hilarious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Today is the last day they'll have the interview at the start of the show, usually one of the highlights on the show, a lot of interesting regular characters, and I loved Sean's 'Here your shovel, now dig' style of interview.

I've moaned about it before and I'll probably moan about it again but they're sacrificing one of the best features on the whole station for a promo for a three hour sports show, what genius thought that was a good idea.

Are the defo getting rid of the interview?

I presume there'll be at least some shuffling around of segments.

Defo should keep that. There's at least one subject a day that's worse than it.

Sean confirmed they're getting rid of it, don't know about anything else, that 'so you think you're an adult' nonsense will take up a quarter of Monday's shows from now on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Are the defo getting rid of the interview?

I presume there'll be at least some shuffling around of segments.

Defo should keep that. There's at least one subject a day that's worse than it.

Clonan was moanin' - see what I did there! - last time he was on, saying the slot was ending this week.

I did not hear Moncreif confirm it.

The interview was a mixed bag really. For every half decent slot with Clonan or Pope you had two segments with Shane Byrne, Amanda Brunker, Ian O'Doherty or Kitty Holland.

So given that we have five fewer hours per week of Moncrieff, any idea what's been dropped?

As long as farming and parenting is still going, I won't complain too much.

Wouldn't mind the television bit being dropped, or the ctrl+v job with Jonathan Burke Butler or whatever his name is.

Clonan would be no big loss either, if the above is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

So given that we have five fewer hours per week of Moncrieff, any idea what's been dropped?

As long as farming and parenting is still going, I won't complain too much.

Wouldn't mind the television bit being dropped, or the ctrl+v job with Jonathan Burke Butler or whatever his name is.

Clonan would be no big loss either, if the above is true.

I think "so you think you're an adult" made the cut. **** that section is awful. Channel surfing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

They could just cut down on the amount of erm-ing and other hesitancy from the host and they wouldn't need to drop anything.

The Movies & Booze section doesn't work. The wine guy is good but they could easily find someone better for film. Same goes for their television coverage.

I feel like their coverage of a lot of random US-centric stories feels like it was thought up at a time when the Internet was still a novelty.

The History slot has been shortened :(

I wouldn't really miss Movies&Booze if they got rid of it, but to me the slot with Graham Finlay was untouchable, this and loss of the interview at the start, two of the best things on the entire station.

Whoever devised this new schedule should never be allowed near a radio station ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The new show seems a bit rushed. The 4-4.30 section always seemed like a wind down, so that's not a huge loss. But the 1.30-2 interview is sorely missed.
    I can't believe they still have the, 'So you think you're an adult', crap. Awful nonsense. They still have the history slot, moved to a Thursday. I have mixed feelings about this. It's a good concept, but I'm not a huge fan of Graham Finlay. He seems like a nice bloke, but not a good storyteller. I'd much prefer someone like Diarmaid Ferriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

During the week there, when Tom Dunne was standing in for Seán, he interviewed a woman who wrote a book about the Attica prison riots.

Can anybody remember her name or the title of the book?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

John_D80 wrote: »
    During the week there, when Tom Dunne was standing in for Seán, he interviewed a woman who wrote a book about the Attica prison riots.

Thanks.

"Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy" by Heather Ann Thompson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Is David Carey still onboard? I only caught a couple of moments during the week.

Jumping right in without a "It's been reported today..." seems just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    "Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy" by Heather Ann Thompson

Thats the one!!

Thanks a mil.

I loved that story he told about meeting that fella having an epileptic fit on the street.

"He had women onfor half an hour earlier talking about clothes. The problems of feminism are solved."

No, I really don't think Sean is cool with this.

I was thinking during that bit on George's show that Sean would be infinitely better at chairing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

John_D80 wrote: »

Thanks.
    foxtrot101 wrote: »

I really enjoyed that interview, so thanks for asking, and answering, the question as I intend picking it up myself.

She's got quite a bit of related stuff on her site
    http://heatherannthompson.com/

He had another go at George there :D

I took his taking the piss out of George as playful but it seems more serious than that, he's a lot more friendly to the Drive presenters, the hand over is nowhere near as frosty.

He does seem diplomatic overall about it, don't know if I'd be the same....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Well, feck it.

Imho they should've extended it by an hour not cut it.

Advertisement