Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

He had another go at George there :D

I took his taking the piss out of George as playful but it seems more serious than that, he's a lot more friendly to the Drive presenters, the hand over is nowhere near as frosty.

He does seem diplomatic overall about it, don't know if I'd be the same....

He always made fun of George! I was listening to Tom Dunne during the week and I genuinely think he is better suited to the show then Sean, Tom's has a laid back approach to presenting whereas Sean seems uptight all the time and looking for something to get offended about!
    I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves Newstalk in the near future with his Girlfrind Caroline in RTÉ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

He always made fun of George! I was listening to Tom Dunne during the week and I genuinely think he is better suited to the show then Sean, Tom's has a laid back approach to presenting whereas Sean seems uptight all the time and looking for something to get offended about!

Sean has well over twice the number of listeners than what Tom Dunne had when he was presenting the mid-morning show on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 barryegan

Moncrieff once again not afraid to hint at his contempt for Hook during the changeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

barryegan wrote: »
    Moncrieff once again not afraid to hint at his contempt for Hook during the changeover.

Didn't hear today, but wasn't impressed with Tom Dunne yesterday (Tom:I'm filling in for Sean, dunno where he is. George: Probably on his second holiday this week.)

I've a bad feeling about all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

What did he say? I managed to inadvertently catch 10 seconds worth of Hook when I got in my car at lunch. He was banging on about vaccines again. It must annoy Sean no end that his show lost 30 mins to that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 barryegan

Ah Hook just had this patronizing tone when asking what was coming up and sounded like Moncrieff wasn't all that impressed.

Ah Hook just had this patronizing tone when asking what was coming up and sounded like Moncrieff wasn't all that impressed.

Did you hear yesterday when Sean had a guy on about swearing?

Someone textedin to say "These days, I normally say what the George Hook is going on instead of swearing"

I believe Sean's reply was "that's about right" or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Evil_g

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Given that he had time cut to make room for some ill-informed soapboxing I think Sean deserves a lot of credit for not saying 'go f*ck yourself' to George's condesending tone everyday.

I have to say I'm listening to the show less and less these days, it seems rushed and truncated, hopefully common sense will prevail and Sean get's his hour back and whoever was responsible for this decision is shot out of a catapult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Given that he had time cut to make room for some ill-informed soapboxing I think Sean deserves a lot of credit for not saying 'go f*ck yourself' to George's condesending tone everyday.

I have to say I'm listening to the show less and less these days, it seems rushed and truncated, hopefully common sense will prevail and Sean get's his hour back and whoever was responsible for this decision is shot out of a catapult.

has anyone noticed sean seemingly overcompensating his side of the argument this week? he's brought up fox news at the start of his show today and yesterday while most of us aren't really that bothered, we know the score with them.
    it seems he's trying too hard.
    i still listen but same as you, less and less. i can't be arsed listening to drivetime for that 30 mins at 4, so sometimes switch off earlier when i get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

He is being squeezed out Is Henry gone fully from the show? I notice he is on the crappy Chris O'Donaghue show that follows Sean's every evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Does Esther who reviews the movies like ANY film she reviews? She's painful to listen to here and in competition with Sean with the um um ah um nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Seán is currently RTing up a storm of people who are annoyed at the show losing an hour. (He won a PPI award last night, and lots of people are tweeting their congratulations, and admonishing Newstalk for the cut.)

davef1000 wrote: »
    Seán is currently RTing up a storm of people who are annoyed at the show losing an hour. (He won a PPI award last night, and lots of people are tweeting their congratulations, and admonishing Newstalk for the cut.)
    He RT'd this too, adding to the speculation of bad blood between Hook and Moncrieff

https://twitter.com/KillHill101/status/784707685585416192

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Does Esther who reviews the movies like ANY film she reviews? She's painful to listen to here and in competition with Sean with the um um ah um nonsense.

Agreed. She has a bank of phrases she uses.... just didn't do it for me I'm afraid being her favourite. She ruins the segment for me, anytime she shares a film I know I'll love it. She hated Horrible Bosses, I nearly died laughing in the cinema!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

Agreed. She has a bank of phrases she uses.... just didn't do it for me I'm afraid being her favourite. She ruins the segment for me, anytime she shares a film I know I'll love it. She hated Horrible Bosses, I nearly died laughing in the cinema!

She is absolutely desperate. I've said it about her before. Nothing personal at all purely professional. She even says yday I can be a bit simple at times when it comes to plots or something along those lines.... The fact that she slated girl on a train is after convincing me to go and see it now. Is she employed elsewhere as a reviewer or what?
    That whole segment is destroyed anyhow. I'd look forward to it every Friday but now it's rushed and feels like it's just stuck in there. It was all relaxed and a bit zany before. Absolutely disgusted that the show was cut. Hard to believe moncrieff actually stood for it himself?

Horse84 wrote: »
    Is she employed elsewhere as a reviewer or what?
    The Sunday World, the paper of record among certain government employees, which also employs Paul 'Scumbags' Williams.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

On the whole Twitter thing, I have seen Sean retweet negative stuff too, so he's at least balanced about it.

Have to laugh at the kicking Newstalk are taking about this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭styron

The Sunday World, the paper of record among certain government employees, which also employs Paul 'Scumbags' Williams.

Miltiades, your finger is no longer on the pulse of baser instincts of Hoi Polloi ... Williams vacated that august institution in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Haven't been completely enamoured by all the new shifts and changes in Newstalk but the killer is losing that first half hour of Moncrieff.

Was one of my most enjoyed parts of daily radio. Just a casual chat with some random public figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Haven't been completely enamoured by all the new shifts and changes in Newstalk but the killer is losing that first half hour of Moncrieff.

I'm by no means a daily radio listener but I do like catching a the start of Moncrieff at lunch time when I can. Can't say I was too happy when I switched on this afternoon only to hear Hook. Thought he might have been just filling in but alas, no. He's only gone and knocked Moncrieff's show out of my lunch hour. What a nasty surprise for a Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Missed the handover from Hook to Sean today, how was it considering the flurry of tweets over the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Missed the handover from Hook to Sean today, how was it considering the flurry of tweets over the weekend?

George all praise for Sean on his win at the PPI awards.

ThisRegard wrote: »

It was way, way friendlier than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It was way, way friendlier than usual.

George talking to the whales about being friends with Sean was surreally great.

Turned it on while they were playing the clip of your man ranting and raving about Clinton and I thought they'd given Hook more time and he'd gotten more intense and extreme :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Turned it on while they were playing the clip of your man ranting and raving about Clinton and I thought they'd given Hook more time and he'd gotten more intense and extreme :eek:

I'm not listening to the show at the moment but I guessed you were talking about Drumpf's buddy Alex Jones, so I checked Sean's Twitter...and I was right! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i mentioned it earlier, but why the feck is he playing these clips from american nut jobs??
    most of us are aware of who they are and don't need to know much more, but it's almost like the reverse of us complaining about Global Village. he starts off with these far right nutbags to justify his liberalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

i mentioned it earlier, but why the feck is he playing these clips from american nut jobs??
    most of us are aware of who they are and don't need to know much more, but it's almost like the reverse of us complaining about Global Village. he starts off with these far right nutbags to justify his liberalism.

Because if you don't agree with his lefty PC right on views you are a right wing conspiracy theorist redneck angry white man racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

In fairness, that clip was pretty funny and it warranted broadcast by the fact that the Republican nominee thinks that Jones has an "amazing" reputation. Comparing Global Village to Infowars is quite a stretch (and I'm saying this as someone who hates GV)

Advertisement