Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Listened to the podcast of him with the TV bloke yesterday...extremely high on the 'crikey' count....always grated with me but since reading this thread I'm more aware than ever and at one stage I had to switch off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Will losing the hour from his show cut Sean's Pay ?

If not what is the fuss about , i would love if my employer would cut my hours but pay me the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

From Sean's point of view it might be a matter of pride.

From the point of view of any person with ears, the fuss is around reducing a good programme in favour of two considerably less good programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Will losing the hour from his show cut Sean's Pay ?

If not what is the fuss about , i would love if my employer would cut my hours but pay me the same

Sean's boss is Denis O'Brien. I would really doubt he's on the same money as before. But even if he is, the station have decided that the nonsensical blatherings of a geriatric windbag take priority over his own show - that'd piss anyone off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

robbe wrote: »
    Listened to the podcast of him with the TV bloke yesterday...extremely high on the 'crikey' count....always grated with me but since reading this thread I'm more aware than ever and at one stage I had to switch off!

Crikey......eh.....um.....ah......astounding. I must use his podcast one night as a drinking game and use these as times to drink. I would say I'll not make it to the news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Because if you don't agree with his lefty PC right on views you are a right wing conspiracy theorist redneck angry white man racist

I don't think his views to be particularly lefty, pc or right on...I find them to be fairly normal, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Crikey......eh.....um.....ah......astounding. I must use his podcast one night as a drinking game and use these as times to drink.

Can I come?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Poochie05

That wine woman today, Jean?, was hard to listen to, thought she'd never shut up gushing about all the events she'd been to and things she did, hardly anything about the actual wines!

Because if you don't agree with his lefty PC right on views you are a right wing conspiracy theorist redneck angry white man racist
    Like another poster has said, I don't find him particularly left-wing at all.

I've never read any of his books, but did leaf through one of them in Eason's one day. It's reminded me of pop-science books with huge font that are written for teenagers of average intelligence; except, it read like a Sunday World philosophy column. Anyway, I digress.

I was irritated to read, on the first page I opened, Moncrieff's unhappiness at having to see, hear, or even be around 'junkies'. Not because it's distressing to see a fellow human living through a personal disaster, nothing as compassionate as that. They just annoy him. Seeing them from his seat on the Dart just angers him.

I wouldn't call that lefty, or PC, although maybe it's liberal in a neo-classical, Republican Party way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Like another poster has said, I don't find him particularly left-wing at all.

I've never read any of his books, but did leaf through one of them in Eason's one day. It's reminded me of pop-science books with huge font that are written for teenagers of average intelligence; except, it read like a Sunday World philosophy column. Anyway, I digress.

I was irritated to read, on the first page I opened, Moncrieff's unhappiness at having to see, hear, or even be around 'junkies'. Not because it's distressing to see a fellow human living through a personal disaster, nothing as compassionate as that. They just annoy him. Seeing them from his seat on the Dart just angers him.

I wouldn't call that lefty, or PC, although maybe it's liberal in a neo-classical, Republican Party way.

He definitely seems to fit the mold of a classical liberal

Gotta laugh at those calling him and his show overly PC, though. What he says; and the subjects he covers are some of the least politically 'correct' you could find on any national radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That Sonny Liston story was mental, never knew he was a drug dealer and that he was apparently murdered by a crooked police officer.

Also that piece about making music from brain waves was fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Crikey!
    That Sonny Liston story was mental, never knew he was a drug dealer and that he was apparently murdered by a crooked police officer.

Also that piece about making music from brain waves was fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I used to catch the last half hour of Moncrieff everyday after work but I really miss that now - especially on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Tom Dunne seems like a nice person but hes a terrible stand in for Sean. He gets embarrased by the word vagina. Not great for some of the topics which do be on the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Shock Horror!! A film got lost on Esther!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I like Moncrieff but I swear the researchers just look at the Sunday Times of two weeks ago and try to get the writers on. The one about Boris Johnson earlier and the hair now were even in the same section.

^^That reminds me, Talking Books on Sunday nights frequently has the same guests as Moncrieff, and it's interesting how the guests repeat the exact same spiel, as if by heart.

The guy whose written a book about snobbery and previously appeared on Moncrieff was on Talking Books last night, saying the exact same things he said on that show. It's one of many examples of it happening.

It's a bit sloppy, but Newstalk repeats way too much content. Shona Murray's international politics show seems to be often repeated two weeks in a row. Or randomly, they'll repeat an episode from weeks ago, out of the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

^^That reminds me, Talking Books on Sunday nights frequently has the same guests as Moncrieff, and it's interesting how the guests repeat the exact same spiel, as if by heart.
    In fairness, if you listen to any guest being interviewed more than once, you'll hear the same talking points.

I take your point about the same guests being on Newstalk more than once, alright. However, I don't think they're bothered, as the content after 7PM on a weekend is just filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I'm thinking of organising a collection so if Trump gets elected we can send Sean away on holiday for a few weeks to recover.

I'll start passing around the basket :pac:

Seriously though , Sean was almost in tears after Brexit .

I don't know how he is going to cope today. He'll need a safe space.

Is the show even on today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

he had some lad on a few months ago who had developed an algorithm to predict the winner of the election based on the New Hampshire primaries.
    he had every election since the turn of the century right, apart from JFK (who he thought was a bit crooked anyway), but he did predict Trump, long before the primaries were done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Brexit is a massive upheaval for Ireland. No one predicted it and I didnt see anyone sane in the Republic wanting it.

Sean has said plenty of bad things about clinton and trump over the last few months. I imagine he will be surprised and then have some guests on. Sean is also the only person in newstalk who gets the occasional dig into denis o Brien who seems fairly friendly with the clintons.

Aw, why is Sean not there today?

Boooo!

But who doesn't love Star Wars disco??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Aw, why is Sean not there today?

Boooo!

What kind of monster boos Tom Dunne? I reckon Sean wouldn't have done the piece on the Russian mad scientist as good as Tom did.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What kind of monster boos Tom Dunne? I reckon Sean wouldn't have done the piece on the Russian mad scientist as good as Tom did.

That was more a boo at non-Sean than a boo at Tom. He's a good fella Tom.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That young politician evaded Sean's questions like a pro, he'll go far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Don't care much for Moncreiffe..a little too smart assed and laddish for this poster ...dead air until Chris and Sarah come on at 4pm.

I don't get to listen to the show much on Thursdays anymore.

I miss the food bit with poor aul Paolo. Is there any equivalent these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I don't get to listen to the show much on Thursdays anymore.

I miss the food bit with poor aul Paolo. Is there any equivalent these days?

No, they tried the food slot with few different people but all that did was remind everyone how irreplaceable Paolo was - so they just retired the whole thing.

I think they have a TV review on Thursday's these days, I'm not 100% sure though because they changed things up a bit when they lost the hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Jesus the TV reviewer fella is fcukin painful.

A bit like the wine lady, I find myself turning off within a couple of minutes.

Advertisement