Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Haven't heard Mairead Lavery on in a while.

If the JNLR's are in anyway accurate, he's lost nearly half his listeners in the last year, what a difference that hour makes, given the direction Newstalk is going in recent times he'll probably be replaced soon by some fella roaring incoherently at the wall.

He has effectively been presenting the same show for 10 years now. There's only so much fluff content to cover. People get tired with it. It can't be very stimulating for him either.

I'd like to see him tackle something a bit more challenging as he is undoubtedly a talented broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If the JNLR's are in anyway accurate, he's lost nearly half his listeners in the last year, what a difference that hour makes, given the direction Newstalk is going in recent times he'll probably be replaced soon by some fella roaring incoherently at the wall.

I'd say it's Hook on before him that's killed it stone dead. That teamed with the pretty awful Drive after it means it now feels like it's in an awkward slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say it's Hook on before him that's killed it stone dead. That teamed with the pretty awful Drive after it means it now feels like it's in an awkward slot.

But wasn't Hook one of their highest rated shows when he did the drivetime slot.

I don't know what his numbers are like now but surely he has retained a certain level of his listenership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I dunno, I avoid Hook like the plague. Turned on radio this afternoon and left it on Radio 1 and was intrigued by the renter with the dirty kitchen. Left it on for the follow up.
    Have avoided Duffy for ages. Hook though, bleugh..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think Sean should bring back certain segments that they lost in the re-jig. His show isn't only out of shape coming on the back of Hook's bluster and heading into the wishy-washy Drive show, it seams weaker all 'round. Too much of a lead-in and some weak guest that, within the show's shorter format, there's less time to regain audience interest.

I miss the half hour interview that was at the top of the show and think it could work better in today's format and bring back a food slot.

It's lost its sure-footedness. I still listen in- but less often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

humberklog wrote: »
    I miss the half hour interview that was at the top of the show and think it could work better in today's format and bring back a food slot.
    Yeah - a half-hour interview would still give him an hour and a half. Plenty time for his other topics.

One of the things I liked about the half hour interview was that it was usually some Irish guest in the studio - not some American whackjob on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

humberklog wrote: »
    I think Sean should bring back certain segments that they lost in the re-jig. His show isn't only out of shape coming on the back of Hook's bluster and heading into the wishy-washy Drive show, it seams weaker all 'round. Too much of a lead-in and some weak guest that, within the show's shorter format, there's less time to regain audience interest.

It's lost its sure-footedness. I still listen in- but less often.

He's kept nearly all those segments, some of them are on different days now. I think the drop in audience is more down to how the JNLR's are calculated then people losing interest in the show. He had decent numbers before he lost the hour - 120,000. I would agree that the new alt-right Hook is not really the ideal show for Moncrieff to follow on from.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Did anybody else hear him mention that he has a 1 yr old child on the parenting slot a few weeks ago? Brave man to take that on again at 55.

Did anybody else hear him mention that he has a 1 yr old child on the parenting slot a few weeks ago? Brave man to take that on again at 55.

Yeah, he had a reverse vasectomy too - he's brave alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I mentioned a few months back that he had the baby with Caroline Clarke but I don't think I was believed!

I didn't think he was 55 though!

I agree with the posters who say they miss tge first half hour of the show. I always found it a nice soft lead- in to the show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

serfboard wrote: »
    One of the things I liked about the half hour interview was that it was usually some Irish guest in the studio - not some American whackjob on the phone.

In fairness the majority of American guests he has on are doctors/scientists/journalists who are generally quite knowledgeable about what the are talking about, if you listen to every item on the show for a month, you'd find the wacky guests are usually rare enough.

The problem with the show is it's items are probably a bit too niche for most people, it's a lot easier to listen to people moan about things on Liveline or Hook prattle on about those evil cyclists/immigrants for the millionth time.

I said they'll replace him with someone roaring at the wall as a joke but given under the new management they seem to be trying to rile people up more, I wouldn't be surprised if they did do that.

The problem with the show is it's items are probably a bit too niche for most people, it's a lot easier to listen to people moan about things on Liveline or Hook prattle on about those evil cyclists/immigrants for the millionth time.

It wasn't too niche before they took an hour off him. The show was doing fine. Most of drop off in his JNLR figures can be explained by how the JNLR's are calculated i.e. the show now being two hours instead of three. The figure given is the average ¼ hour Audience. You can see in ilevels charts that more people listened to the the first half hour and the last half of the show than between 2pm and 4pm . So take those 2 half hours away and the average ¼ hour figure would automatically drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So you think you're an aul wan is the worst segment the show's had in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

Some interview with the American from the Catholic League denying the whole Tuam babies thing as fake news. Thought Seán was really going to lose it. Arguing with a guy who thinks a significant amount of human remains doesn't make it a mass grave, just an attack on Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

Patser wrote: »
    Some interview with the American from the Catholic League denying the whole Tuam babies thing as fake news. Thought Seán was really going to lose it. Arguing with a guy who thinks a significant amount of human remains doesn't make it a mass grave, just an attack on Catholicism.

Yeah that guy would make you sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ha.

sean triggered by texters slagging off the "F" rating for movies and the whole wimmins day in general.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The TV guy James sucks so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

The c'cumber song at the start of the show is still in my head....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

J Mysterio wrote: »

Well I always like that slot anyway

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Well I always like that slot anyway

It's dreadful. Your man is supposed to be a critic of some description but his opinion just carries no weight. He has no authority. Did he just social media his way into there? His lazy drawl as he confusedly discusses obscure ****e in a disinterested way is infuriating.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    The c'cumber song at the start of the show is still in my head....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's dreadful. Your man is supposed to be a critic of some description but his opinion just carries no weight. He has no authority. Did he just social media his way into there? His lazy drawl as he confusedly discusses obscure ****e in a disinterested way is infuriating.

Well I still like the slot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I'm not a fan of him either. The TV slot has a lot of potential and I actually really enjoyed it when John Fardy was in presenting it last week.
    I just find that James guy a bit too...pretentious/try-hard hipster or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Well I still like the slot anyway.

It's not a bad slot at all.

Surprised there's dislike for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I like the TV slot, he's everything that's missing from the film reviews on Friday. Esther struggles to go any deeper than 'It just didn't do it for me/I really liked it' and often gets basic things like actors names wrong. Whereas he gives actual examples of things he thinks worked, problems he had with it, how his opinion was formed over the course of a series and so on. He takes TV seriously like.

Fair enough his manner might grate on some people but his reviewing skills are genuinely good imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Trump ban over lent is a great idea, shame it'll be over soon.

I like James too, if he thinks something is sh1te he'll say it, which is probably why some people hate him, people who are forthright in their opinions are never universally popular.

It was very funny when Sara from Drive mentioned Trump the other day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Moncrieff's fact of the day a.k.a. one of the many tweets from the Q.I. crowd, yesterday

I tune off when that James guy comes on. Just cannot warm to him. So snide.

• Advertisement

I tune off when that James guy comes on. Just cannot warm to him. So snide.

Well I like that slot anyway

Advertisement