Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

My opinion is that the people named are mentally ill.

I haven't formed that opinion because they have different viewpoints to mine. I formed that opinion as liberals cannot defend or debate their position without resorting to childish tactics like labelling and namecalling.

Sean, Adam Hills, Trevor Noah and John Oliver are all the same. Mocking and laughing but refusing to engage or explain why they have formed the opinions they have.

Adam Hills actually looks surprised constantly that anyone thinks differently to him. The level of arrogance is extreme. His whole show is based on his constant shock and surprise that people think differently to him.

Irony not one of your strongpoints then

Piers Morgan, tabloid super-hack that he is, approaches everything from the starting point of "it must be a scam!" He didn't interview those admittedly fairly weird people for any insights - he did it so he could have a go at them. He's the human embodiment of the smouldering, frustrated rage of every Daily Mail reader. And he's a gammon-faced pr*$k.[/quote]

The smouldering, frustrated rage of the Daily Mail reader is a good antidote to the cloying bleeding-heartedness of the Guardian reader.

A 'gammon-faced pr*$k' - classy. Given what Moncrief looks like, I don't think that's a good avenue for you to be going down.[/QUOTE]

Haha well put Historybluff...you should watch the youtube clip of him on Have I Got News For You....what a petulant grubby liitle man..the yanks seem to fall for the "posh " English accent ..they're welcome to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Haha well put Historybluff...you should watch the youtube clip of him on Have I Got News For You....what a petulant grubby liitle man..the yanks seem to fall for the "posh " English accent ..they're welcome to him[/QUOTE]

I think Piers Morgan did pretty poorly in the US. Pretty sure they had a petition to deport him. His outrage schtick didnt work over there plus he was anti gun. Neither side of the political spectrum likes him.

Sorry for going further off topic

I think Piers Morgan did pretty poorly in the US. Pretty sure they had a petition to deport him. His outrage schtick didnt work over there plus he was anti gun. Neither side of the political spectrum likes him.

Sorry for going further off topic[/QUOT

That's what I thought...but he seems to be turning up on YouTube a lot recently.. maybe I'm just being directed towards his videos.. Oh feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I think the line drops more regularly on calls that he really can't be arsed with. it's the only show i can think of where they don't make an effort to call the person back again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think the line drops more regularly on calls that he really can't be arsed with. it's the only show i can think of where they don't make an effort to call the person back again.

They tend to be rigid enough with the amount of time spent on interviews so once there's hassle with a phone line they don't bother trying to get them back because of the knock-on effect on it will have on their schedule.

Tbf, that interview was a load of nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've a feeling jack shite is going to be a popular phrase texted in for the next while :pac:

there was an interview last week with the toe captain from the yukon, who made a drink with a toe from a corpse in the bottle. at the end of it, the canadian guy said 'go raibh mile maith agat' to which sean replied with something along the lines of "didn't know you could speak serbo-croat"

this bollockology is feckin annoying. this canadian guy went out of his way to get the phrase as good as he could and sean couldn't fkn acknowledge it positively, just had to be a condescending bollox about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

That stuck out to me too. I thought that was really poor from Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

there was an interview last week with the toe captain from the yukon, who made a drink with a toe from a corpse in the bottle. at the end of it, the canadian guy said 'go raibh mile maith agat' to which sean replied with something along the lines of "didn't know you could speak serbo-croat"

this bollockology is feckin annoying. this canadian guy went out of his way to get the phrase as good as he could and sean couldn't fkn acknowledge it positively, just had to be a condescending bollox about it.

When I started listening to Moncrieff over 10 years ago I expected him to be the smarmy git from DFTG and was surprised at what an engaging, amiable interviewer he was. Bit disappointed by this lapse - this guy wasn't some idiot texter who deserved that sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Does anyone else get the impression that Sean is sick of the job now and is just going through the motions? He's still better than 90% of other presenters on irish radio but he's become very sarky and crabby and there's very little effort to have balance with the show having a clear right-on agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yeah he is just going through the motions. I reckon his 10 minutes or so the start where he just goes off on one at any story in the day that is remotely conservative, gets him through the day. I forgot to switch off during last week and was given a stark reminder of what he is like. Totally unhinged at anything that doesn't share his viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

It is a pity that an otherwise fine broadcaster can be undermined by a personal flaw. That being his complete intolerance of those who do not share his 'right on' viewpoint.
    It is disappointing that an obviously intelligent man can be so blinkered.
    It reinforces the point that 'medialand' exists in an alternative reality of its own.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone else get the impression that Sean is sick of the job now and is just going through the motions? He's still better than 90% of other presenters on irish radio but he's become very sarky and crabby and there's very little effort to have balance with the show having a clear right-on agenda.

Losing that hour, and especially the interview at the start, has made a big difference to his show.

The balance between good chat/interviews and strange/weird interviews is now strongly in the strange/weird side.

quintana76 wrote: »
    It is a pity that an otherwise fine broadcaster can be undermined by a personal flaw. That being his complete intolerance of those who do not share his 'right on' viewpoint.
    It is disappointing that an obviously intelligent man can be so blinkered.
    It reinforces the point that 'medialand' exists in an alternative reality of its own.

Every second page on this thread has people going on about Sean's 'right on' liberal agenda. I don't see the same posters complaining about George's lack of balance on the Hook thread. It reinforces the point that when most people complain about "blinkered" viewpoints they generally just mean viewpoints dissimilar to their own.

I don't always agree with Moncrieff (particularly the free rides he's occasionally given guests like Kitty Holland) but he's as entitled to his opinion as George Hook or Dil Wickremasinghe or Ivan Yates. If his politics truly hinder ones enjoyment of the show, that might say more about their own worldview than Sean's.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Every second page on this thread has people going on about Sean's 'right on' liberal agenda. I don't see the same posters complaining about George's lack of balance on the Hook thread. It reinforces the point that when most people complain about "blinkered" viewpoints they generally just mean viewpoints dissimilar to their own.

I don't always agree with Moncrieff (particularly the free rides he's occasionally given guests like Kitty Holland) but he's as entitled to his opinion as George Hook or Dil Wickremasinghe or Ivan Yates. If his politics truly hinder ones enjoyment of the show, that might say more about their own worldview than Sean's.

i think that might be because George hook is brutally upfront about his politics, and couldn't care less what people think. we know exactly what's on the tin, 100%. same with global village, which is almost a parody of itself.
    the thing with Sean, is that he comes across with some intelligence 99% of the time. but that 1% he won't engage with criticism, just fluff it off, and the failure to engage with it intelligently just bugs people.

take James O'Brien on LBC who can take on the same arseholes day in and day out and bat them off no bother, only coming across as a better broadcaster every time. any time Sean gets something critical, he just becomes condescending instead of killing it with kindness.

send him a message sometime complaining about the liberal agenda, and he'll no doubt ask you for a copy of that agenda because he's lost his, which he's been saying for the past few years.

btw, Kitty holland should never be let near the show again, after her conversation about the poor kids that died when the balcony collapsed in California a couple of years ago, when she insinuated that there shouldn't be too much time spent grieving as these were middle class kids who could afford to go on a J1. at least at the time, Sean rightly pulled her up on her horsesh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

i think that might be because George hook is brutally upfront about his politics, and couldn't care less what people think. we know exactly what's on the tin, 100%. same with global village, which is almost a parody of itself.
    the thing with Sean, is that he comes across with some intelligence 99% of the time. but that 1% he won't engage with criticism, just fluff it off, and the failure to engage with it intelligently just bugs people.

There has been a change over the past...I'm not sure how long...months anyway. He rarely gets involved with sarky put downs of text messages these days. He doesn't read out the more bone headed ones either. There has definitely been a conscious decision on his part to not engage with the texts the way he used to. I for one miss his old snarkiness, but that's just me.

send him a message sometime complaining about the liberal agenda, and he'll no doubt ask you for a copy of that agenda because he's lost his, which he's been saying for the past few years.

I think I've heard Moncrieff give that response verbatim a couple of times. To be honest, most of the muppets who waste 30c to send in a text withat the words "liberal agenda" don't warrant any kind of reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well if you posters can give out about George on his thread we can surely give out about Golden Boy Moncrieff on this thread and call him out when he is unjustifiably rude to Guests!
    His show has been on a downward spiral since the Mrs went off to RTE, he has probably upset someone high up in Newstalk why else would they cut down his show by an hour?

Well if you posters can give out about George on his thread we can surely give out about Golden Boy Moncrieff on this thread and call him out when he is unjustifiably rude to Guests!

"Golden Boy Moncrieff"...sigh. OK, when was he last time he was unjustifiably rude to a guest. It's a trait of his I've not really noticed. Justifiably rude to dickheads who text in nonsense, yes, but guests - no.

• Advertisement

@foxtrot101 sigh! There you go!

@foxtrot101 sigh! There you go!

I read that, but I didn't hear it. Didn't Sean come to Ireland from London old enough to be accused doing Irish in school.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I read that, but I didn't hear it. Didn't Sean come to Ireland from London old enough to be accused doing Irish in school.

I didn't do Irish either but I still know what the guest was saying and what Sean said in anyone's books was smart arsed and rude!

I didn't do Irish either but I still know what the guest was saying and what Sean said in anyone's books was smart arsed and rude!

Fair enough, I can't really comment on it any further because I didn't hear it.

I did it hear it and it stood out as being singularly uncharacteristic of a broadcaster who is generally a very gracious, engaging interviewer.

jooksavage wrote: »
    I did it hear it and it stood out as being singularly uncharacteristic of a broadcaster who is generally a very gracious, engaging interviewer.

He is that most of the time until certain of his views are contradicted.
    He will then express his disapproval with a combination of being downright nasty and sourly patronising.

He is that most of the time until certain of his views are contradicted.
    He will then express his disapproval with a combination of being downright nasty and sourly patronising.

Yes, but..as jooksavage pointed out above...your real issue is not concern for some random texter, instead what really annoys you is that he is being
    disapproving of and patronising about views you wholeheartedly agree with. That's the nub of it.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Yes, but..as jooksavage pointed out above...your real issue is not concern for some random texter, instead what really annoys you is that he is being
    disapproving of and patronising about views you wholeheartedly agree with. That's the nub of it.
    Nothing to do with my views. He is intolerant of people he does not agree with.
    This is despite the fact he thinks he is very liberal and open-minded himself.
    Is it liberal and open-minded to demean and insult people of a different opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nothing to do with my views. He is intolerant of people he does not agree with.
    This is despite the fact he thinks he is very liberal and open-minded himself.
    Is it liberal and open-minded to demean and insult people of a different opinion?

I've seen this argument a thousand times and it's ridiculous. If people are deemed to be open-minded by others are they not allowed to defend their own viewpoint or argue against another?

From listening to Moncrieff over the years, the messages he gets sarky with are usually the 'pc gone mad, liberal brigade snowflake' ones but if a person puts across an opposing viewpoint in a more nuanced manner, he'll address it in a calmer fashion.

I don't mind him being opinionated just like I don't mind Hook being opinionated - they can both drive you up the wall but at least they are far more interesting than most of the dross that passes for radio in Ireland. It's just a pity that when Moncrieff's show got cut that they decided to get rid of the long interviews at the beginning and concentrate on the outlandish and idiosyncratic news stories from around the world.

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with my views.

Then why do you give a damn? I thought been overly concerned about others being offended was the preserve of the PC brigade, a brigade Sean is often accused of been a leading light in. There's a certain degree of irony there.

Advertisement