Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

In his opening monologue today, he brought up the fact that Harry Styles has four nipples. I bet he only brought it up to embarrass him because Harry is a WHITE MALE!

And then he did a bit about Sharon Shannon getting cows grooving to her music. Of course, if it was a WHITE MALE who was playing he wouldn't brought it up.

Good way of parodying how ridiculous a level that the debate has sunk to in the (so called) culture wars

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭styron

quintana76 wrote: »
    Good way of parodying how ridiculous a level that the debate has sunk to in the (so called) culture wars

Complaining of a shows's alleged liberal bias and intolerance while casually fabricating rape charges against Afghan refugees and a pretext for a neo-Nazi festivals ... that really should be primo parody material, but sadly isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

What in tarnation has happened to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

davef1000 wrote: »
    What in tarnation has happened to this thread.

The same thing that has happened to several threads round here recently.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Someone hasn't been listening.

• Advertisement

Someone hasn't been listening.

...to the spirit of the thread.

I blame Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I blame Sean.

Why? Has he been contributing to the thread?

Why? Has he been contributing to the thread?

He is with us all, in spirit. The great man is our inspiration. He is the godhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

He is with us all, in spirit. The great man is our inspiration. He is the godhead.

funnily enough, back in the day when he had the guests at the start of the show, he had Peter McVerry in one day for a grand straight forward chat. someone texted in to say it was great to hear an atheist and a religious person having a straight forward honest conversation, to which Sean replied "i didn't know you were an atheist Peter".

i don't think i've ever heard him speak on the fundamentals of religious belief, often on the dogma and rules etc, but never about whether he believes in God/Jehovah/Allah/Tom Cruise

• Advertisement

I blame Sean.

What? No you don't, you blame "the muslims".

funnily enough, back in the day when he had the guests at the start of the show, he had Peter McVerry in one day for a grand straight forward chat. someone texted in to say it was great to hear an atheist and a religious person having a straight forward honest conversation, to which Sean replied "i didn't know you were an atheist Peter".

i don't think i've ever heard him speak on the fundamentals of religious belief, often on the dogma and rules etc, but never about whether he believes in God/Jehovah/Allah/Tom Cruise

His only belief is in whatever is the current fashionable opinion.
    Regrettably I fear this is the case.
    Forget Jehovah, think Chomsky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

He wrote a book on world religions a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

He wrote a book on world religions a few years back.

Got it as an xmas present about 10 years ago. Very entertaining read. Sean is a great writer. My wife read his novel "A History of Things" - said it was fantastic.

So You Think You're An Adult.

After all these years, they finally have a segment on Moncrieff that makes me turn the radio off.

Last week some of the advice was "maybe be passive agressive about it". Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

So You Think You're An Adult.

After all these years, they finally have a segment on Moncrieff that makes me turn the radio off.

Last week some of the advice was "maybe be passive agressive about it". Honestly.

Yup, I used to find the Sean M show very entertaining, innovative, light hearted, informative on unusual topics and generally easy to listen to.....

Alas no more.

Those 2 who do the relationship issues slot should be shot imho. They are so subjective, unprofessional and all over the place each week it's not funny. They sound like a pair of
    complete gombeens in a local cafe having a bitch about other's relationships. The female contributor Barbara Scully always tries to dominate the piece, it's like she's afraid to let anyone else speak at times , talking over the other guy Declan Buckley at will, most often with some ill informed rant on a tangential matter to the actual query a listener has emailed in to find out about from the ' experts '..... I find the slot and her in particular very irksome....

On top of that the whole Sm show has dropped off imho, as I don't think they get as interesting guests or deal with them in as entertaining or informative ways as they once undeniably did.... Which is a pity tbh, cos it used be good tbf.

"Now, this week Anne Robinson announced she was on Tinder..."

Anyone else in that split second think Henry McKean time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone else think Sean was being a bit obtuse yesterday, plus he ended the show a few mins early to run away on his holidays :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What? No you don't, you blame "the muslims".

Oi! That's George Hooks job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Anyone else think Sean was being a bit obtuse yesterday, plus he ended the show a few mins early to run away on his holidays :pac:

Great glad to see the back of him! I hope it's Tom Dunne covering for him and not A) Jonathan Healy or B)Tara Duggan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

I thought he was fair cranky all week, especially with the race riots in USA.
    What will he be like after the holidays ?
    I still enjoy him, most of the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Great glad to see the back of him! I hope it's Tom Dunne covering for him and not A) Jonathan Healy or B)Tara Duggan

It won't be Healy. Duggan is with a Dublin local station now, I think. Dunne is a nice bloke, but weak in the slot.
    I miss Fionn Davenport. He was a great substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

He is obtuse though.
    He has gotten worse over the last few years.

It won't be Healy. Duggan is with a Dublin local station now, I think. Dunne is a nice bloke, but weak in the slot.

Didn't Johnathan McCrea do a good job standing in a while ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

there was a time a few years back where they were doing an outside broadcast, and everything failed so they had to give up. davenport must've been hanging around so they got him in to present a show from the studio with zero notice. he did it like nothing was wrong at all, you'd hardly have noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Maybe Ciara Kelly, don't hear much of her these days........

Heard that movie reviewer charlatan on Friday who must be unique, and perhaps fortunate,
    In that she had never seen a fast and furious movie - quite how a critic has avoided all of them is beyond me. Diabolical level of movie knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

robbe wrote: »
    Maybe Ciara Kelly, don't hear much of her these days........

Heard that movie reviewer charlatan on Friday who must be unique, and perhaps fortunate,
    In that she had never seen a fast and furious movie - quite how a critic has avoided all of them is beyond me. Diabolical level of movie knowledge.

Have you ever listened to Esther McCarthy? Now that's a reviewer with a diabolical level of movie knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hopefully it'll be Fionn Davenport or Jonathan McCrea. All the others mentioned are brutal in the slot. Can't listen to Doctor Ciara Kelly M.D. for more than 5 minutes. Tom Dünne needs to stick to music. Healy isn't the worst but he's better suited to milking a sob story on the news. If it's Henry I may switch off for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Horse84 wrote: »
    Have you ever listened to Esther McCarthy? Now that's a reviewer with a diabolical level of movie knowledge.

I see your Esther McCarthy and raise you a Sarah Bellssimo - at least Esther likes films - get the distinct feeling Sarah doesn't care for them much - shows in her appalling lack of knowledge on pretty much any type of film......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tom Dunne's in today. Started the show with a clip of a conservative Muslim woman saying plucking eye brows was a sinful act. Tom was aghast especially as the lecture droned on for 2 hours.
    And now they've Jonathan De Burqa (see what I did there?) doing Henry's vox pops.

Different.

Advertisement