Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Sure beats the abusive trolling of Ciara Kelly that Hook engaged in.

Perhaps The Dr could arrange a spot of terminal sedation for him ?

If not, then what chance some of his old rugger mates would raise their collective dodgy knees in the direction of his much talked about flakey scrotum ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I like Tom, but today's show is...difficult. irish men's fashion vox pops & Sally O'Brien are not the very most interesting things in the world right now.

And then the weird judgemental bitchiness that is So You Think You're An Adult. Even Sean can't make that bollocks tolerable.

I can't comment on George apart from I heard him tell a doctor she was wrong after she got as far as saying "it's not straightforward..." or something, so I turned it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

If not, then what chance some of his old rugger mates would raise their collective dodgy knees in the direction of his much talked about flakey scrotum ?
    You do know there is a "we hate George's show thread" better to post over there then on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

You do know there is a "we hate George's show thread" better to post over there then on this thread!

My Bad.

I couldnt find it and presumed that George's pals had sent a memo to Boards Towers to have it deleted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

He was bad today, he kept interrupting more than normal, I couldnt even hear an answer..
    Ciara has patience while George talks waffle !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

This is not the George Hook thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I see Tom Dunne did a puff interview with the sister of Ibrahim Halawa. No serious questions asked as to the circumstances of the trip and the arrest. Thought poor tom was on the verge of tears.
    Why are the media sticking to their version of the story like glue when everybody who cares to know, knows it is false. Why are they widely dissimulating a version that is at the very least not the full story?
    it certainly doen't encourage much trust in the media at a time when that very belief is seriously on the wane in the Western world.
    It looks like the agenda must be followed no matter what. Truth no longer matters.

Maybe you tell me? Why do you think there's a conspiracy by the Irish media, including Tom Dunne(!) to do...whatever it is you think they're doing.

Reliable sources please.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Maybe you tell me? Why do you think there's a conspiracy by the Irish media, including Tom Dunne(!) to do...whatever it is you think they're doing.

Reliable sources please.

No proper i investigation into why they were on a stage in Egypt on behalf of the Muslim Brotherhood representing their father! Why the sisters skipped bail and not shipped back to face trial! Why the father never bothers to attend protests for his Sons release.
    I have yet to hear an interview ask them the tough questions.
    Mark Humphries has excellent information about their whole setup out in Clonskeagh and some of the extremist speakers that have attended
    http://markhumphrys.com/clonskeagh.html

Who's Mark Humphry? It is nice of a Doctor from Cambridge to report on all this.

Are there any references to his work from any reliable or reputable sources?

• Advertisement

I never suggested there was a conspiracy in the Irish media(your words). There is a widely held view that there is a form of groupthink in action.
    An unthinking or calculated conforming to certain viewpoints that to diverge from is damaging. Some i am sure are genuine believers.

RTE for example, definitely will never question unlimited illegal immigration, the Halawa case, any issues with Islam, abortion, the public sector, the unions (public sector), any human error by Obama or the Democratic party, the incumbent Government, the British Labour party, Angela Merkel, the EU and much, much more. These are all faultless and non debatable and anyone who has any reservations as to the total cosmic righteousness of all aspects of these issues is at best a rightwinger, at worst a bigot.
    NewsTalk mostly holds the same views but is a bit better because they have some divergence from the mainstream.

I don't need to link sources for the above just listen to them.

Fine for these organisations if they are privately owned partisan outfits like CNN or Fox News but for a national broadcaster, (paid for by the taxpayer),who are meant to be balanced in their news, it is to say the least a failure of their mandate. They are meant to represent the whole nation. Their role is to inform not browbeat.

It is not possible for so many people to have the exact same views on each issue.
    So to answer your question. it is not conspiracy but whether as a result of editorial direction, peer pressure or Government guidance it is strange that such uniformity exists.
    I admit I have drifted off the subject of Sean Moncrieff but you did ask me a question.

You say there's an agenda, which is not a conspiracy, and that you don't need to quote any sources.

Fair enough.

I'm out.

You say there's an agenda, which is not a conspiracy, and that you don't need to quote any sources.

Fair enough.

I'm out.

Christ! Sorry I made the effort. Talk about talking to the deaf.
    Why don't you prove otherwise quoting sources.
    I'm waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

quintana76 wrote: »

RTE for example, definitely will never question unlimited illegal immigration, the Halawa case, any issues with Islam, abortion, the public sector, the unions (public sector), any human error by Obama or the Democratic party, the incumbent Government, the British Labour party, Angela Merkel, the EU and much, much more.

Except for all the times when they do.

When you see a problem with so many others, it's probably worth taking a look at yourself tbh.

Every one of your posts exudes bias. Bias... not healthy skepticism or contrarianism. You want journalists to confirm those biases, and when they don't it's because there's an agenda against you and people of your bent.

Sad really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I see Tom Dunne did a puff interview with the sister of Ibrahim Halawa. No serious questions asked as to the circumstances of the trip and the arrest. Thought poor tom was on the verge of tears.
    Why are the media sticking to their version of the story like glue when everybody who cares to know, knows it is false. Why are they widely dissimulating a version that is at the very least not the full story?
    it certainly doen't encourage much trust in the media at a time when that very belief is seriously on the wane in the Western world.
    It looks like the agenda must be followed no matter what. Truth no longer matters.

Honestly I'd say Tom just doesn't care. He's not a current affairs journalist or any type of journalist.

Who's Mark Humphry? It is nice of a Doctor from Cambridge to report on all this.

Are there any references to his work from any reliable or reputable sources?

You obviously didn't bother your arse reading that link because he has referenced links to back up his articles he also writes articles for the Times, Also if you think that the Halawas wouldn't have sued him if there was any liable articles?
    Dunne, as with every other media outlet in this country have not probed the whole Muslim Brotherhood links.

I read enough of it to know he's an angry fella with some serious issues going on.

The bits about Frankie Boyle and Owen Jones are all I needed to see to get the f*ck off that website asap.

Some of the links lead nowhere, by the way. In fact the website as a whole is pretty shoddy for a guy claiming to have Doctorate in Tech Startup from Cambridge.

Hmm.

Seems he is a lecturer in DCU. Remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I read enough of it to know he's an angry fella with some serious issues going on.

The bits about Frankie Boyle and Owen Jones are all I needed to see to get the f*ck off that website asap.

Some of the links lead nowhere, by the way. In fact the website as a whole is pretty shoddy for a guy claiming to have Doctorate in Tech Startup from Cambridge.

it's hardly like being blocked by Owen Jones on twitter is a badge of honour, he is a complete clown about brexit and blocks anyone who calls him out on his idiocy over it. if jeremy corbyn told him black was white, he'd argue the case for him with his hands over his ears shouting 'lalalalalalala' until the other person gives up or he just blocks them.

anyway, i digress!

it's hardly like being blocked by Owen Jones on twitter is a badge of honour, he is a complete clown about brexit and blocks anyone who calls him out on his idiocy over it. if jeremy corbyn told him black was white, he'd argue the case for him with his hands over his ears shouting 'lalalalalalala' until the other person gives up or he just blocks them.

anyway, i digress!

He got a fairly decent Sky News presenter fired when he stormed off during a paper reviews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

He got a fairly decent Sky News presenter fired when he stormed off during a paper reviews!

hadn't realised that the presenter got sacked, saw that at the time and still thought he was a clown. i thought mark longhurst was taking the south park argument, when they had an episode about hate crime, where the kids were arguing that either all crime is hate crime or it's not.

it's in this clip

he stormed off like jack o'connor from vincent brown. what is it with people storming off taking ages to get the microphone off!

Except for all the times when they do.

When you see a problem with so many others, it's probably worth taking a look at yourself tbh.

Every one of your posts exudes bias. Bias... not healthy skepticism or contrarianism. You want journalists to confirm those biases, and when they don't it's because there's an agenda against you and people of your bent.

Sad really.

OK. Give some examples about RTE criticizing the subjects I mentioned. It is easy to make broad statements about bias without evidence. Prove me biased. You can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

OK. Give some examples about RTE criticizing the subjects I mentioned. It is easy to make broad statements about bias without evidence. Prove me biased. You can do it.

That's two off your list.

foxtrot101 wrote: »

Well spotted. Forgot about that one. Absolutely amazed about that report. Never followed up though. Never brought into the Halawa issue.
    I can still say that one swallow doth not make a summer unless proven otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Well spotted. Forgot about that one. Absolutely amazed about that report. Never followed up though. Never brought into the Halawa issue.
    I can still say that one swallow doth not make a summer unless proven otherwise.

Well spotted? Not really. It took me about 2 seconds to think of an example of something that you claimed RTE "definitely will never question". But that list isn't about RTE, it's about you and your own personal biasses.

Well spotted? Not really. It took me about 2 seconds to think of an example of something that you claimed RTE "definitely will never question". But that list isn't about RTE, it's about you and your own personal biasses.

No his point is valid, any RTÉ news reports it's always about the Halawa sisters screeching about the government not doing enough for their brother! And the same with the migrant crisis never any focus on the destruction in countries like Italy and Greece!
    And one of the news reports last week following the Barcalona massacre when it was suggested that ban hire companies would need to run background checks before renting if they had any suspicions, the reporter looked disgusted at this claiming it was discriminatory to even think that, didn't cross their minds that it might save innocent lives!
    Tom is obviously a more laid back character so they should have held that interview back for Sean's return as I would have been interested in his line of questioning!

Well spotted? Not really. It took me about 2 seconds to think of an example of something that you claimed RTE "definitely will never question". But that list isn't about RTE, it's about you and your own personal biases.
    So you deny the truth with ad hominem attacks?
    Bias only seems an issue to you when it is not your own.

So because I point out the truth of RTE's bias I am biased?
    I am allegedly expressing personal bias that invalidates the truth of my claim. Good diversion!
    So these biases should not be mentioned as it might offend the people (unbiased like you) who agree with them?
    RTE speak the gospel truth and I am some sort of bigot because I call out the fact that some people might disagree with it.

I thought that approach was the last resort of the loser of an argument. Just a thought, if someone doe's not share your own opinion they are not biased, they just disagree with you. Everybody is biased even your precious self.

Learn how to discuss not deride.

I am tired of this. Back to Sean Moncrieff as this is not meant to be about RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Evil_g

And one of the news reports last week following the Barcalona massacre when it was suggested that ban hire companies would need to run background checks before renting if they had any suspicions, the reporter looked disgusted at this claiming it was discriminatory to even think that, didn't cross their minds that it might save innocent lives!

That did not happen.

Back to discussing the content of the Moncrieff Show, and how its content was handled by the host/ contributors.

General political debates are welcomed in Politics Forum or the Politics Cafe.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The SMS needs someone sharp and that someone is not tom dunne.

Advertisement