Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Tom Dunne is "Nice." But he is terrible cover for Sean. He reminds me of Miriam O Callaghan when she hosts that saturday night thing in summer. Its all amazing , brilliant etc. No depth to anything but he should be doing a music show somewhere.

I also hate these modern pieces about (usually Irish) people who get tickets to someplace that they shouldnt. It really doesnt warrant an interview. Maybe 2 lines during the intro but no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭xper

Jesus, the So You Think You're An Adult slot needs to be dropped immediately. Absolute car crash edition today. They had Éanna Ní Lamhna sitting in for the usual woman (Barbara?) who promptly ramped up the normal stupidity-level 100-fold. They essentially deemed two relationships hopeless, ridiculed a woman worried about meeting a past flame at a school reunion and endorsed running a brothel in a housing estate. I'm just sorry Sean was off because I am sure he would have called the pair of them on the nonsense they were spouting, You could tell Tom was agog at what they were coming out with but he was too nice to question them effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

agreed, it was absolutely dreadful. I usually don't mind the slot, even if it is a bit daft, but Éanna was just ranting incoherently and getting worked up and talking over both of the others. usually there's a bit of useful advice mixed in with the fun, but there was zero useful advice with her on today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You could actually hear Tom's brain disengage and go for a break on that slot as your one was just soooooo bad.

If they're going to be like that they should get rid of the slot as I turned it off after a few mins.

xper wrote: »
    Jesus, the So You Think You're An Adult slot needs to be dropped immediately. Absolute car crash edition today. They had Éanna Ní Lamhna sitting in for the usual woman (Barbara?) who promptly ramped up the normal stupidity-level 100-fold. They essentially deemed two relationships hopeless, ridiculed a woman worried about meeting a past flame at a school reunion and endorsed running a brothel in a housing estate. I'm just sorry Sean was off because I am sure he would have called the pair of them on the nonsense they were spouting, You could tell Tom was agog at what they were coming out with but he was too nice to question them effectively.

All of news talk seems to be about extreme opinion anymore. There is no central ground. Its between Healys pc ****e and Hooks pro Trump ****e. The station is on a downward spiral grasping for whatever listeners it can get. If possible I think Moncrieff, Kenny and Yates should get the hell out before they are forced to start playing the roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Just listening to So You Think You're An Adult segment for the first time.
    Mother of God, it's worse than I expected from reading previous posts...the female just swore.... 'jiminy cricket' says she ...Sean back on Wednesday is the good news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That So You Think You're An Adult segment wasn't bad compared to the car crash of last week's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Way to much focus on music stories for me when Tom is standing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Not enough focus on music stories for me when Tom is standing in.

I like Tom Dunne but I don't think he's as naturally curious as Moncrieff is.

When I first started listening to Moncrieff I thought the interviews were a bit too Betty Crocker (I.e. I've read your summary, Mr Contributor; and I'm going to ask a question from each paragraph).

That does happen with Moncrieff, but he is always ready to spot the interesting statement or apparent inconsistency, and challenge his guests from time to time

With Tom Dunne, the whole thing seems 100% pre-cooked and he's just tagging-on and off. It isn't a patch on his nightly music show, where he really comes into his own.

Anyway, Moncrieff is back tomorrow, so happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm sorry, but what DOES Esther know. Contant I don't know, I didn't know. She's the least informed film reviewer I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

jaysis the movies wan really needs to look up her stuff, without admitting it on the radio!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think she's all right. Her slot is much harder than the TV slot, which I also like, as she can't actually talk that much about the film without giving away too much. The TV slot tends to be a review so they're not too pushed on holding back that much info about the show they're talking about.

Some other film reviewers end up telling you way too much about a film that by the time they're finished you know pretty much everything that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I well imagine that Sean doesn't listen to High Noon now, if he had ever, but he's covering a topic that the bould George literally did in the previous 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Birneybau wrote: »
    I well imagine that Sean doesn't listen to High Noon now, if he had ever, but he's covering a topic that the bould George literally did in the previous 2 hours.

They don't have 'joined up' production/research teams. Noticed it many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

They have started on the Halawa bull**** already on Moncrieff. It is like Nelson Mandela has just been released.
    It is more than ironic following the Hook affair.

Wonder what the Muslim Brotherhood advise as regards responsibility for rape?
    Oh I know. The woman is always guilty and gets punished or ostracised.
    The same people who bandwagoned Hook are totally behind Halawa and his Fellow Muslim Brotherhood members.
    The hypocracy is shocking. It is also plain idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Great news to hear this innocent lad is free. The torment for the family is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Henry got married, so now he's asking around the ploughing championships about successful marriages.
    tomorrow, he successfully has a shyte after a long dose of constipation, and will consult with the farmers on similar issues.

The wine and beer people on Movies N Booze have to know their stuff for the show and you can tell they have dedicated years to their craft. Ester on the other hand bluffs her way through. Gattaca is not an underrated movie. Its a great film that has excellent reviews from critics and audience alike. I used to like Ester for the craic on the show but her movie knowledge sounds like someone on reddit. Her catch phrase seems to be "I've been hearing good things about it," it is most often heard when anyone asks about any major movie release. Compare that to the wine guys who have to know about every grape and then about all the different wineries

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    The wine and beer people on Movies N Booze have to know their stuff for the show and you can tell they have dedicated years to their craft. Ester on the other hand bluffs her way through. Gattaca is not an underrated movie. Its a great film that has excellent reviews from critics and audience alike. I used to like Ester for the craic on the show but her movie knowledge sounds like someone on reddit. Her catch phrase seems to be "I've been hearing good things about it," it is most often heard when anyone asks about any major movie release. Compare that to the wine guys who have to know about every grape and then about all the different wineries
    In fairness, to Esther, there aren't a dozen multi-million euro wineries and grape varieties coming and going every month.

The wine experts are talking about varieties that are fairly constant, many of which have been around for decades; with very few new entrants to the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Esther is brutal. She's not someone who loves films, who knows about them, or is good at watching them. She's always making basic mistakes about who made a film, when something came out, what an actor's name is etc. and the amount of stuff that goes over her head is shocking. And that's quite aside from her inability to articulate what she thought of something any further than "it's really really good" or "it didn't do it for me". She frequently misses the point of questions that come in if they're about editing, cinematography, reference or homage to very very very famous films or directors.

I'm very interested in film, I don't have the luxury of it being my job to watch films for free. I spend a lot of my free time watching, reading about and talking about films, and have friends who are the same: enthusiastic amateurs. Everyone makes the odd slip like but not one of us would make the gaffes she makes with such frequency. We're able to keep up with the world of film despite working jobs that aren't watching films and following the industry. It's easy to retain the information when you're genuinely interested, and she's clearly not.

That's a fair comment electro. I wouldn't be a movie buff by any stretch (I almost invariably nod—off at the cinema) so I guess she comes across grand for listeners like me, but probably is hard to listen to if you're already very familiar with film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The film programme at the weekend on newstalk is good though!

I would have considered Gattaca an underrated film in the public's eye, maybe not the critics. Just looking at it's wiki page and it didn't do well at the box office for example, and I've never seen it either.

I'm fairly sure I've said it before on here but Ester's job is actually very tricky in that a lot of film reviewers end up telling you so much about the film that you don't need to see it, even while they're saying they don't want to tell you too much.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I would have considered Gattaca an underrated film in the public's eye, maybe not the critics. Just looking at it's wiki page and it didn't do well at the box office for example, and I've never seen it either.

I'm fairly sure I've said it before on here but Ester's job is actually very tricky in that a lot of film reviewers end up telling you so much about the film that you don't need to see it, even while they're saying they don't want to tell you too much.

Its a great film and well worth a watch. I would consider it underseen and very well rated. I havent read Ester's reviews in a few years so maybe they are better on paper.

I shouldnt have posted a comment half way through the show yesterday as she was much better for the second film about tennis. It came across that she was very knowledgeable about tennis and the era and had a real passion for it. I just wish she brought this to her other film reviews. She does work well with Moncrieff and the two dont mind pulling the piss out of each other. I just wish she was put a bit more research in whats in the cinema and upcoming releases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Heheh. Pester McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Is the some quota they have to fill every day? Annoying americans talking utter rot. There's at least 3 every day.
    Ummmm ehhhhh ehhhhh ehhhhh ehhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Great news to hear this innocent lad is free. The torment for the family is over.

True. Maybe he won't return to that country he's not from. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

TV on the radio is my favourite segment these days.

Apart from Movies & Booze, although I have to admit that's not quite as much fun as it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    TV on the radio is my favourite segment these days.

Apart from Movies & Booze, although I have to admit that's not quite as much fun as it used to be.

I dont know. I think yer man is so far up his own hole he's nearly tickling his tonsils.

Advertisement