Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    TV on the radio is my favourite segment these days.

Apart from Movies & Booze, although I have to admit that's not quite as much fun as it used to be.

I love both of those segments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think moving Movies and Booze to over an hour has done wonders for it, which is kinda surprising really.

When it was shorter I thought they were getting bored doing it, and it was becoming a boring listen, but the extra time has really given it extra life.

I'm a fan of the TV bit too. If they made that bit longer, which I'd say they two of them would like as they do seem to get on very well together, that could be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

BPKS wrote: »
    I dont know. I think yer man is so far up his own hole he's nearly tickling his tonsils.

I agree and again as with Esther Mór O'Donoghue he doesn't seem to have any actual expertise. He isn't exactly Clive James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I agree and again as with Esther Mór O'Donoghue he doesn't seem to have any actual expertise. He isn't exactly Clive James.

He's got a pretty decent grasp of what he's talking about and seems willing to watch some of the stuff people are asking him to. I enjoy the slot. Tbh, I don't have a problem with most of the regular contributors on the programme and Sean works well off them all.

He's got a pretty decent grasp of what he's talking about and seems willing to watch some of the stuff people are asking him to. I enjoy the slot. Tbh, I don't have a problem with most of the regular contributors on the programme and Sean works well off them all.

It would be a dull world if we all felt the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

heard an ad on the radio earlier for the Irish Times, Sean is doing something in a weekend supplement or something.

i wonder how that's going down with the current ban?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

heard an ad on the radio earlier for the Irish Times, Sean is doing something in a weekend supplement or something.

i wonder how that's going down with the current ban?!!

Noticed that too. Certainly odd timing.

Still, you can't beat a bit of one rule for one...

Always ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Think it was on last weeks Movies and booze that Sean read out a tweet and then said it was by Paul Howard who writes for the I.T. He made a joke about getting in trouble for it.

Havent heard any of the Newstalk guys mention the Irish Times ban other than Sean. Are they banned from even mentioning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tom 'Everything is Awesome' Dunne in for Sean today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

First item, Music....FFS it's always music with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Dub13 wrote: »

Makes a change from the first item giving out about Trump or the latest thing to outrage the leftie liberal brigade.

How many joints did this hollow Earther smoke today?

Birneybau wrote: »
    How many joints did this hollow Earther smoke today?

All of 'em.

I don't know why they don't get Dill to do it.

I don't know why they don't get Dill to do it.

She's in a bit of a pickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

someone sent in a text about six-one being presented by 2 womenfolk now, and sean went off on a mini rant about how narrow minded the texter was.

later on, someone texted in about newstalk's male dominated line up, and there was silence. just read out the text and that was it.

could've given just a smidgen of an opinion. especially since he's toying with them over the whole irish times thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

tampopo wrote: »
    True. Maybe he won't return to that country he's not from. :rolleyes:

I take it back. I was wrong, he checks out! (watching a bit of his LLS interview)
    sorry to all, esp him.

I have tried for years but...I HATE Henry McKean. Gormless idiot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The interview with that fella who was caught up in the Brevik massacre.

F*cking hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The interview with that fella who was caught up in the Brevik massacre.

F*cking hell.

Damn missed it.

I love Moncrief’s show . Such a strange mix of guests. His researchers are amazing I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Lisha wrote: »
    Damn missed it.

I love Moncrief’s show . Such a strange mix of guests. His researchers are amazing I think

He finished today talking to the only woman involved in building Trump Towers, was a very interesting interview.

Still find it mind boggling that someone decided to take time off him to make room for G Hook to prattle incoherently about those awful immigrants/cyclists etc.

He finished today talking to the only woman involved in building Trump Towers, was a very interesting interview.

Still find it mind boggling that someone decided to take time off him to make room for G Hook to prattle incoherently about those awful immigrants/cyclists etc.

Still makes me furious.

Ivan doesn't need three hours either. Everything on The Hard Shoulder has already been covered by Pat Kenny and to a lesser degree by Ciara Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's a pity they don't podcast more segments from his show for people who can't listen live. It's easier to listen to bite sized features than to listen back to the whole thing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bring back the half hour interview/discussion that used to be there. It set the show up nicely. I think it got Sean off to a good start to the show.

The interview with that engineer lady was excellent. Before her there was a guy talking g about to be origin of track suits in society. Mad interesting useless info. I just love it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

humberklog wrote:
    Bring back the half hour interview/discussion that used to be there. It set the show up nicely. I think it got Sean off to a good start to the show.

Yeah I agree, was also a nice way to get to know the subject outside what they are known for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The interview with that engineer lady was excellent. Before her there was a guy talking g about to be origin of track suits in society. Mad interesting useless info. I just love it

After the interview with the Brevik survivor yesterday Sean was reading out texts about how harrowing it was, how brave etc and then "coming up next, Ireland's oldest pencil!" talk about a change of tone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

After the interview with the Brevik survivor yesterday Sean was reading out texts about how harrowing it was, how brave etc and then "coming up next, Ireland's oldest pencil!" talk about a change of tone!

He's one of the few broadcasters in Ireland that can deftly navigate those changes in tone. Tbh, it's a refreshing break from Ciara Kelly and Ivan Yates daily overreaction to whatever non-issue is currently causing a controversy.

Damn missed it.

They basically read the Sunday Times and take it from there. I notice a lot of guests that they have on the following week derive from articles in the ST.

And yer woman was just on a major documentary about Trump last Wednesday night on Channel 4.

Guess it looks like I don't like the show. I do!

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    They basically read the Sunday Times and take it from there. I notice a lot of guests that they have on the following week derive from articles in the ST.

And yer woman was just on a major documentary about Trump last Wednesday night on Channel 4.

Guess it looks like I don't like the show. I do!

Oh Ok ! .....( I still love moncrief)
    I don’t buy any papers at the mo. I hate recycling them when they are barely read.
    I used to buy the Sindo (don’t hate me I’ve stopped never to return).
    Which is better the Saturday or Sunday Times? I want to be a paper reader agsin :)

Advertisement