Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Sean clearly isn’t a fan of the competition this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lisha wrote: »
    Birneybau wrote: »
    They basically read the Sunday Times and take it from there. I notice a lot of guests that they have on the following week derive from articles in the ST.

And yer woman was just on a major documentary about Trump last Wednesday night on Channel 4.

Guess it looks like I don't like the show. I do!

Oh Ok ! .....( I still love moncrief)
    I don’t buy any papers at the mo. I hate recycling them when they are barely read.
    I used to buy the Sindo (don’t hate me I’ve stopped never to return).
    Which is better the Saturday or Sunday Times? I want to be a paper reader agsin :)

Sunday (not the Irish) Times Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

They basically read the Sunday Times and take it from there. I notice a lot of guests that they have on the following week derive from articles in the ST.

And yer woman was just on a major documentary about Trump last Wednesday night on Channel 4.

Guess it looks like I don't like the show. I do!
    I think that's more because the same PR companies will be pushing their clients to media outlets here.
    the guests Moncrieff has during the week with a book out are usually just people that the PR/publishing companies have said "here, this is who we have to talk to you this week if you want them". promo for the book, content for the media outlet. presume it's the same with the papers....

Why does gormless Henry seem to go exclusively for junkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

What barrel has Henry got NewsTalk over? Even his mother used to be on regularly in the past. There must be something going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

He finished today talking to the only woman involved in building Trump Towers, was a very interesting interview.

Still find it mind boggling that someone decided to take time off him to make room for G Hook to prattle incoherently about those awful immigrants/cyclists etc.

That's strange your still blaming Hook for Moncrieff losing his half an hour, well when Hook left his show and they were struggling to get presenters to fill that slot. you would have thought they would have given Sean's show back the half an hour same when the Drivetime show changed presenters, so you can't really blame George for everything however much you want to! Moncrieff must have upset someone fairly high up in Newstalk management for them to reduce his showtime, then again it could have been contractual. Maybe a two hour show means Sean get's paid less.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

so you can't really blame George for everything however much you want to!

It's more management I'm blaming than George himself, if you've listened to Breakfast since the reshuffle, it's clear whoever thought that line up was a good idea hadn't a notion what they were doing, either that or the whole reshuffle was an attempt at self sabotage.

I thought they'd give Sean time back after Hook left, Ciara Kelly is poor enough and The Hard Shoulder is a bit bloated, after Hook's outburst I imagine they've learned their lessons about going down the shock jock route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

there could be an aspect of money saving in it all right

Here come the girls, the thursday music slot, the wednesday news story from the past, your man from america all gone and replaced with randomers ringing in. So Kelly's show must be much cheaper than Hook's.

Esther McClueless, seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If one more person negatively compares The Killing of A Sacred Deer to Requiem for A Dream I'll hop the radio off the wall!

• Advertisement

God, I really hoped that Mary cheat would have lost the quiz.

Did I just heard a woman on Tubridy saying all contraceptives should be on the medical card or just free.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Did I just heard a woman on Tubridy saying all contraceptives should be on the medical card or just free.

Dunno. Good grief, This is the Moncrieff thread.

But yeah, Kate O'Connell.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/pharmacist-td-wants-free-contraception-for-women-zwblgfh7h

Dunno. Good grief, This is the Moncrieff thread.

But yeah, Kate O'Connell.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/pharmacist-td-wants-free-contraception-for-women-zwblgfh7h

I blame predictive text. Be weird if Tubridy automatically turned up for Moncrieff.

Esther had neither seen nor heard of 'The Room'. What has she heard of? I know it may look like I have an axe to grind, I don't, I just don't see how such uniformed people can be used as reviewers. See also T.V. on the radio guy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are you getting Room and The Room mixed up?

There's the film called Room which is the one about your one and the kid kidnapped and held in a room and then there's the film The Room which took $1600 at the box office and was made in 2003.

I thought she knew about both but hadn't seen The Room but had seen The Disaster Artist which was about the making of that film.

I'd never heard of The Room until Screen Junkies did an Honest Trailer of it this week

No, I'm not. It has been a cult film for years, guess I thought it was more known than it is.

My point is (and this will sound terrible) that even with a Monday-Friday 9-5 (normal office job) I regularly find myself knowing a helluva lot more about film than she does. And that's HER job.

Fair enough, I'd never heard of it til this week.

I did think she said she'd heard of it though and had seen the making of film

It's breathtaking:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

For the funniest appraisal of The Room, I'd recommend the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast with Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas and June Diane Raphael. I believe it's been made available outside the pay-wall on the EarWolf website to coincide with the Disaster Artist (which all 3 also star in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Best podcast ever, HDTGM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Esther had neither seen nor heard of 'The Room'. What has she heard of? I know it may look like I have an axe to grind, I don't, I just don't see how such uniformed people can be used as reviewers. See also T.V. on the radio guy.

Yeah, I think most people with a passing interest in film would have heard about The Room at this stage.

I don't think the TV on the Radio fellow is that uninformed, I think trying to watch a lot of series can be more of a task than watching a couple of movies each week and if he hasn't seen something, he's at least heard of it generally. I do think the problem with the TV reviews is that he'll only get to watch maybe 2-3 episodes of something before reviewing it - a lot of times, the early episodes of a show can be exposition heavy and not really give you the proper flow of a show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bodily functions are featuring heavily in this best of show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

I've said it before and i say it again but Esther mccarthy is absolutely abysmal. Her movie knowledge is laughably bad. Is this her full time job? I take it as a given that if she recommends a movie I know it's going to be bad and I avoid it.

Esther McClueless. Christian Bale's co star in 'Hostiles' is Rosamund Pike for those that were left hanging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Horse84

Waiting for the "hmmm yea I haven't heard of that one but I'll keep an eye out for it...." when she responds to texts from people who stupidly think she knows what she's on about

Great to hear them finish with Motorhead today.

Serious "feminist" bull**** from someone on Moncrieff just now, basically saying that all men were born with a form of original sin ie: misogyny. She also claimed that a woman who had dropped a rape claim had done so because she has been "forced to rejoin the patriarchy" nothing to do with it not having happened. The implication being that women never lie and men are always guilty by their very nature . Sean has deferred the comments, it will be interesting to see what comes up (hope I am not reflecting the patriarchy in that expression) as he seems to think of himself as a "4th wave feminist"

That was very strange about the dropped rape claim all right, they should have elaborated on that much more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Tom standing in again today, more music talk. I am out.

Advertisement