Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Dub13 wrote: »
    Tom standing in again today, more music talk. I am out.

I'll say it - I hate Tom Dunne. There.

I hate the way he's regarded as an authority on music because he used to be in a band. Something Happens were sh**. Not everyone will agree with that. That's OK but they were a bad, soft-rock load of balls. Listening to him talk about alternative music is as jarring as Larry Cunningham giving his tuppence worth on the grindcore scene.

Still better than Stuart Clark though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jooksavage wrote: »

I hate the way he's regarded as an authority on music because he used to be in a band. Something Happens were sh**. Not everyone will agree with that. That's OK but they were a bad, soft-rock load of balls. Listening to him talk about alternative music is as jarring as Larry Cunningham giving his tuppence worth on the grindcore scene.

Stuart Clark is just...naff. He called Django Django an Irish band because the singer is from Derry. I think you'll find they're a Scottish band.

Very few musical authorities on Irish radio.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Stuart Clark is just...naff. He called Django Django an Irish band because the singer is from Derry. I think you'll find they're a Scottish band.

Very few musical authorities on Irish radio.

I hope Sean won't have Clark back on again. He's terrible. He's like a hippy Alan Partridge; hopelessly out of touch and unable to string together a sentence without namedropping encounters with with past-it celebrities. Put him in a home for the irrelevant with Barry Egan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like Tom on Tom's show. When he's covering for Moncreiff I think it shows that he just doesn't want to do it, though he does seem to get on well with the TV reveiwers.

I don't think he's regarded as an authority on music just cos he was in a band, more that he's had a good radio show on music for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

jooksavage wrote: »

Thank You. Saying it as it is!!!! SH were amazingly average. And yes, Tom hyping up some song from the indie/alt dept always ends in massive disappointment for my ears. I'd love to make him a Spotify playlist :D
    In the interest of fairness and not just having a pop at his music preferences, I think he's quite genuine on air. I'd reckon he's the same off mic as on it? But best suited to music topics. Just wish he'd widen his horizon a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Why are there so many Americans on the Moncrieff show? I like the show, but my brain tunes out when some yank comes on talking rot.

Also, Tom Dunne, not suitable to talk radio at all. Stick to the late night music show and living in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I like the show, but my brain tunes out when some yank comes on talking rot.

You're talking about the guy forecasting yet another apocalypse, right?

I'm in the same boat, switched off one minute into that guy. Love the show but spare me the obvious loons, it's not entertaining, there's literally no talking to these guys. And frankly it's bordering on exploitation of the mentally ill sometimes, e.g. in the case recently of the woman who wanted to marry some inanimate objects.

Of course then I had to time the switch back to catch Mairead Lavery

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I didn't mind that pastor guy so much but a lot of the interviews are not very interesting.

Why oh why have they not brought back the in studio interview to open the show.. that was Moncrieff at his best.

I can only think that it was difficult to book guests daily..?

I didn't mind that pastor guy so much but a lot of the interviews are not very interesting.

Why oh why have they not brought back the in studio interview to open the show.. that was Moncrieff at his best.

I can only think that it was difficult to book guests daily..?

I think that half hour was scrapped when they lost it to Hooks mid-day slot. It could be ok but was very hit and miss. I always ended up catching truly awful self-indulgent guests like Shane Byrne, Amanda Brunker and Ian O'Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In fairness to Dunne he has had a lifelong passion for music. He would have been involved in music journalism/radio with or without Something Happens.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Dunne he has had a lifelong passion for music. He would have been involved in music journalism/radio with or without Something Happens.

Having a passion is one thing but listening to the writer-performer of Something Happens unremitting, anemic slush explaining Mark E Smith and the Fall is excruciating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭bmc58

madmaggie wrote: »
    Anyone else listen to Sean Moncrieff in the afternoons? I couldn't take anymore Joe Duffy, the misery was wearing me down. I'm not decided if I like Sean's programme or not, but it's a change from the unrelenting tales of woe.

Have to agree about Joe Duffy of late.So many sad stories lately and especially today with a man almost loosing it about abuse he suffered as a youngster and the bitterness in his voice was hard to listen to.Joe could't cut him off as it would have been rude to,had to switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

bmc58 wrote: »
    Have to agree about Joe Duffy of late.So many sad stories lately and especially today with a man almost loosing it about abuse he suffered as a youngster and the bitterness in his voice was hard to listen to.Joe could't cut him off as it would have been rude to,had to switch off.
    He had a right to be angry in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Moncrieff loves the mentalists. This one gone from being able to talk to spirits to being able to talk to animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

The woman who "tells us some good things to do this evening". Claire I think? She is awful. Nice person I'm sure but truly awful at speaking. Voice sounds so scared. No natural tone. Ehm's everywhere. And sounds very unprepared. She's been at it ages you would think it'd become more natural by now. It's like a work experience kid being handed a sheet of paper and told "read that".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bmc58 wrote: »

Hate the unending misery slots and 'concerned citizens' phoning in to whinge on regular talk shows. Sean M is a welcome relief.

Jesus so much talk about periods, flow, tampons, pains, etc etc - at least the 2nd time this week - Sean seems to relish this subject as his house is full of women (he says himself) - but I'm just a bit weary of it all on the radio every day at work. We all have periods as women - we've also always dealt with pains, problems, pregnancies etc etc. - do we need to discuss it every day? UGH :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Jesus so much talk about periods, flow, tampons, pains, etc etc - at least the 2nd time this week - Sean seems to relish this subject as his house is full of women (he says himself) - but I'm just a bit weary of it all on the radio every day at work. We all have periods as women - we've also always dealt with pains, problems, pregnancies etc etc. - do we need to discuss it every day? UGH :-(

I have to admit, I get a bit put-off about such talk. I also get put-off by very frank conversations about sex and things like that generally.

I will say though, that a for a thing that happens (will happen/has happened) every month to roughly half the populace our general level of knowledge about it is pretty poor.

For me, the issue that made me rethink my squeamishness was hearing about the problem of access to the relevant material. Women from disadvantaged/third world/religious fanatic communities being denied the basic care materials. It is something that literally never crossed my mind. So I think a bit of period talk is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Good point above.. I did find it very informative but there is a limit to often I'd like to listen to such topics.

The frequent toilet humour gets tiresome also.. but might be just me.

Is David Carey gone from the parenting slot? It's just not the same without him..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just listening to yesterdays repeat, the editing is a bit off, Sean's introduction was for a lad who claims have time-traveled from 2030 and then he talks to this fella who performs Shakespeare with a few people and one of them gets drunk before the show, then he introduces the drunk Shakespeare piece then talks to the time-traveler, it's bizarre.

That time-traveler piece was a good laugh though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

From something that use to be 'taboo' as such, to total over compensation chat and banter on the public airwaves does become cringy and to be honest no matter what age you are it can feel uncomfortable when your in a car with family members, children or even worse elderly parents..
    I'm never impressed with such stuff all common knowledge and does not need to be roared across the airwaves.
    For some reason I find dj's who go on like that quite innocent and slightly 'thirsty' when it comes to the opposite sex!?
    Gerry R was a prime example.
    NOT COOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Just listening to yesterdays repeat, the editing is a bit off, Sean's introduction was for a lad who claims have time-traveled from 2030 and then he talks to this fella who performs Shakespeare with a few people and one of them gets drunk before the show, then he introduces the drunk Shakespeare piece then talks to the time-traveler, it's bizarre.

That time-traveler piece was a good laugh though.

the editing on the late night repeats is always dodgy. they really just need to clip the bits where he says 'coming up next', as it rarely is what he said. may not even be the same show.

I know this isn't related to his show but yesterday Sean wrote a piece for the Times about how, many years ago, he accompanied his then-girlfriend to England for an abortion. Worth a read. Injects some much needed humanity and captures the real-life complexity and uncertainty on a subject that is too often debated in terms of moral absolutes.

And today’s subject of choice on Sean Moncrieff is “vulva pain in women “!!
    And Sean helpfully asks “ is it just upon sex or when putting in a tampon?”

What is his fascination with female genital/sexual problems lately ??

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

That's a great question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

Did anyone find Sean very condescending and sneering at the American girl who was skiing with Hungary today ?
    I usually find him funny but not today..turned him over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

4Ad wrote: »
    Did anyone find Sean very condescending and sneering at the American girl who was skiing with Hungary today ?
    I usually find him funny but not today..turned him over..

Is he ever anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Go Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

normally on a shyte phone line, Sean wouldn't be arsed, but now where he's just arguing for the sake of it, he's keeping it going.

don't get me wrong, i think the moonie is nuts too, and i'd say the majority of people would agree. he's achieving absolutely nothing by keeping this call going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are you talking abouy the American gun fellow who was on at the start of today's show?

Jeez I thought Sean was awful, from the very start he just seemed to want to antagonise the other guy. It was a terrible piece.

Advertisement