Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Just listened to last Friday's movies and booze segment - they had a lad on from the sponsor of this part of the show, carry out, who managed to enlighten and in no small part depress about the job of a wine buyer...where Tomas Clancy is all about the properties of the soil and you suspect loves his job the wine buyer was all business about the prospect of buying wine for the mass market at lower prices (and even at the higher prices was less than lyrical) - nice to have a balance sometimes but jaysus this was chalk and cheese (or maybe that should be wine and cheese...)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I miss David Carey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

humberklog wrote: »
    I miss David Carey.

Has he left the parenting slot?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cerocco wrote: »
    Has he left the parenting slot?

Not officially at least. Personal problems I believe (that's all I've heard).

He's been missing from his local boozer for ages too so might be back in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I booked him to do a talk back in September and he said he was undergoing chemo. I hope he is on the mend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I liked David Carey, but the current lady is actually pretty good too - she gives good practical advice. Much better than the young lad they sometimes brought on when David was missing in the past, who seemed to merely explain the problem back in highfalutin language straight out of his textbooks, without actually offering any real advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Still, you'd miss David's no nonsense approach. I hope he gets over what ails him soon. I still have a Paolo shaped hole in radio listening, I don't want David's gone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

quickbeam wrote: »
    I liked David Carey, but the current lady is actually pretty good too - she gives good practical advice.

Yeah, I think she's actually better than David, who's advice I occasionally wonder about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Still, you'd miss David's no nonsense approach. I hope he gets over what ails him soon. I still have a Paolo shaped hole in radio listening, I don't want David's gone as well.

I miss Paolo more than I thought I would. It makes me sad that he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I miss Paolo more than I thought I would. It makes me sad that he died.

Yes its hard to believe hes gone three years. He had a great, natural rapport with Sean, probably more than any of the other regulars. Their funny, meandering chats were the antithesis of typical radio banter. I could have listened to Paolo all day. I heard Gary O'Hanlon on Ciara Kellys show a few times and he was a pain in the hole, just moaning about the hassle of running a restaurant. Paolo always came across as less of thr expert (which he was) and more of a food enthusiast. Still sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

He is a fine man. He has great charm on the radio. He is very insightful and generous in nature and I wish him well in any trials he may be going through.

quintana76 wrote: »
    He is a fine man. He has great charm on the radio. He is very insightful and generous in nature and I wish him well in any trials he may be going through.

Just one thing I would like to make clear here. I am not referring to Sean Moncrieff but David Carey in case any doubt should arise. An admirable man.

I hear Sean was at it again. Sneering at Kevin Sharkey and his plan to run for President. A good sneerer is our Sean. It's his default reaction to someone who disagrees with his right on views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I hear Sean was at it again. Sneering at Kevin Sharkey and his plan to run for President. A good sneerer is our Sean. It's his default reaction to someone who disagrees with his right on views.

I've heard Sharkey being interviewed about his plans to run for President, and to be fair, he seems to have absolutely f*ck all idea what it is the presidency is.

I've heard Sharkey being interviewed about his plans to run for President, and to be fair, he seems to have absolutely f*ck all idea what it is the presidency is.

So what? He can learn as he goes. His role is to force a debate. He knows he won't be able to speak in the unlikely event should he get elected. Sean doesn't approve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

So what? He can learn as he goes. His role is to force a debate. He knows he won't be able to speak in the unlikely event should he get elected. Sean doesn't approve.

a government approved debate maybe, but the president can't go waffling off his own opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sure, what would he know, he's from Donegal - Father Ted reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I haven't heard anyone approve in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

any one tuned in for mr wind and his wierd museum. it has a celeb poo section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

any one tuned in for mr wind and his wierd museum. it has a celeb poo section

I'm glad you didn't call him Victor (or Viktor), I feel he would have called around to correct you.

Interesting guy, Wikpedia bio starts "As an artist". Very much a guy that is cultivating a persona of himself I think.

Loved the way he kept trying to pin Sean as a scat fan. Sean wasn't biting.

• Advertisement

Sean was caught out badly today with the foetal alcohol syndrome segment. anyone who texted in saying that it shouldn't be too hard to give up booze for 9 months was instantly disregarded as a man who could do with a drink anyway, until a female did text in. he tried to bat it off but missed, and missed badly.

i think the text was along the lines that if you're recommended to stop smoking while you're pregnant, then why shouldn't you be able to give up booze, which isn't as addictive (open to correction but that was the jist).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Sean was caught out badly today with the foetal alcohol syndrome segment. anyone who texted in saying that it shouldn't be too hard to give up booze for 9 months was instantly disregarded as a man who could do with a drink anyway, until a female did text in. he tried to bat it off but missed, and missed badly.

i think the text was along the lines that if you're recommended to stop smoking while you're pregnant, then why shouldn't you be able to give up booze, which isn't as addictive (open to correction but that was the jist).

Yeah, I didn't get that impression at all. What I got was his (understandable?) scepticism about a call for testing that

a) could not be mandatory,

b) could in no way be guaranteed to change a mother's behaviour or the results thereof, and

c) came.across as a plan simply to deter certain behaviours through the 'threat' of shaming via a blood test.

I thought he dealt with it well, and his scepticism was justified. However, I didn't hear most of the rest of the show, so I don't know how he reacted to some texters.

Yeah, I didn't get that impression at all. What I got was his (understandable?) scepticism about a call for testing that

a) could not be mandatory,

b) could in no way be guaranteed to change a mother's behaviour or the results thereof, and

c) came.across as a plan simply to deter certain behaviours through the 'threat' of shaming via a blood test.

I thought he dealt with it well, and his scepticism was justified. However, I didn't hear most of the rest of the show, so I don't know how he reacted to some texters.

without doubt, the test isn't a great idea but it was just so that you could be targeted for education about the risks involved.

but it developed more into a 'just stop drinking during pregnancy' thing with the texts that were being read out. the jist from the lady who was on from the HSE was that the only way to avoid the foetal abnormality was to avoid booze altogether. testing for it makes no difference. if you've drank something alcoholic then the damage is potentially done.

i don't think you could say it was a plan to shame mothers though, it's no different to being told that you shouldn't smoke while being pregnant. you shouldn't feel shamed in a one on one consultation by someone who wants the best for you and the child.

without doubt, the test isn't a great idea but it was just so that you could be targeted for education about the risks involved.

but it developed more into a 'just stop drinking during pregnancy' thing with the texts that were being read out. the jist from the lady who was on from the HSE was that the only way to avoid the foetal abnormality was to avoid booze altogether. testing for it makes no difference. if you've drank something alcoholic then the damage is potentially done.

i don't think you could say it was a plan to shame mothers though, it's no different to being told that you shouldn't smoke while being pregnant. you shouldn't feel shamed in a one on one consultation by someone who wants the best for you and the child.

I think Sean dealt with that. Said something along the lines of "could you just not tell them, like we do with smoking?"

It was the cagey reply to that comment that made me think that the purpose of the proposed test was primarily to change behaviour via the possibility of being caught out by your doctor rather than an informed attitude to booze during pregnancy.

I think Sean dealt with that. Said something along the lines of "could you just not tell them, like we do with smoking?"

It was the cagey reply to that comment that made me think that the purpose of the proposed test was primarily to change behaviour via the possibility of being caught out by your doctor rather than an informed attitude to booze during pregnancy.

he attacked nearly every text that came in after, which were pretty much along those lines, because they seemed to be mainly from men. it wasn't until a female texted in with the same thing that he changed his tone. you really have to listen to the prickish way he read out the messages though. it would have been just before the stuff that changed the world segment.

Missed that. I'll take your word for it though. Sometimes he's more cranky than other times.

Missed that. I'll take your word for it though. Sometimes he's more cranky than other times.

I think he’s cranky all the time now and really very dismissive towards men !
    He’s a complete feminist and has a strong bias in his own responses to what goes on during his show. It’s become very noticeable .

On a separate note I never drank at all during my pregnancies . It was always my first sign of pregnancy that I went completely off alcohol , couldn’t drink even if I wanted to
    Alcohol , coffee and chocolate made me sick and I craved oranges and tomatoes so I had very healthy pregnancies. I assumed it was natures way of giving babies the best chance of being healthy but it must have been just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

He’s a complete feminist
    4 daughters and no sons

he attacked nearly every text that came in after, which were pretty much along those lines, because they seemed to be mainly from men. it wasn't until a female texted in with the same thing that he changed his tone. you really have to listen to the prickish way he read out the messages though. it would have been just before the stuff that changed the world segment.

He has being doing that for years. Always takes the feminist side no matter how extreme. Always dismisses all male views on the subject as if they have no validity or right to speak. Think he genuinely believes in the "intersectionality" bulls***. If so, a very sad demonstration of a desperation to be seen to be trendy in certain circles despite his relatively mature age.

• Advertisement

150,000 people employed directly by charities in Ireland. Wow! All unregulated until very recently.

Advertisement